RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skeeters contracting services

Nice looking apparatus!
That should be a ton of fun to start converting! How many functions are you thinking about? (Yay, i'm a bad influence)
Old 11-07-2017, 12:43 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Ideally, ladder extend/retract, as well as rotation too, plus working emerg lights with siren & a working water pump too. In reality, IDk what will come of it. It'll be a last project to do, after I get the rest did.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

This might be useful.
German build of a USA firetruck that was built in China
https://translate.googleusercontent....NtzJ-DkCTqWN0g
Old 11-08-2017, 12:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank-You, sir for the link. ALL information is helpful, as I've never tried doing a corded to true RC conversion.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Being unable to locally source anything larger then 1/2" heat shrink tubing, I had to order the 1.5" heatshrink tubing from evilbay. It was awaiting my arrival when I got home from work today, so I put it to good use. The 600MAH NMH battery pack for the Bruder D5 conversion has been finished. I made 2 of them, as they ONLY last about 8-10 minutes, from the time they are turned on, to the time they are dead. since the battery life is such short lived, I've decided to forego the on board charging system, & the battery will need removed/swapped when it dies.
One of the 2 COMPLETED battery packs.
unnamed (38) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

I smoked 2 batteries while trying to figure this out. I had BOTH + & the - terminals on them bused together. I was wondering why the batteries were getting so warm, & they sparked each time I touched the buss bar. Now I know!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That sucks, atleast you only smoked 2 batteries. Maybe you can use the 600mah batterys in something with lower current draw.

Cord remote to real RC can be easier than starting with a clean slate. It's going to have some kind of a gearbox and steering axle already installed. Then it's more about pulling old electronics and swap with something good.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The wintertime slowdown with work has started to happen. I didn't work today, so I ran a few errands, then tinkered in the garage a bit.

The Bruder 574 front loader conversion got some love today. Under the hood is bolted the Sabertooth 2X5 that will controll the bucket & arm lift.
unnamed (42) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Speaking of the lift rams, I did mine a bit differently then my mentor's. I decided that since I added a LOT of weight to the model, it would have more force applied to the rams. That being said I abandoned the method for fastening the rams to the model liek his, & came up with my own version.
unnamed (39) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Here's the parts I used to do it.
unnamed (41) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

mocked together
unnamed (40) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

The "blind nut", AKA ribbed nut (I've heard them refered to both ways) did require some slight modification to the 3D printed parts that it goes through. I believe I had to drill (CAN'T remember for SURE) a 6mm hole about 1/4 inches deep into the print part. Then I used a M3x40mm bolt to go through both of my custom built aluminum parts, into the blind nut. Between the alum part, & the actuator there is a washer, followed by an M3 nut, then 5 more washers. There is a locknut behind the custom aluminum parts that holds the actuator to it.

one more pic, showing the wiring of the 2X5 controller finished.
unnamed (43) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Tomorrow, I hope to start the wiring for the wheel motors!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
That sucks, atleast you only smoked 2 batteries. Maybe you can use the 600mah batterys in something with lower current draw.

Cord remote to real RC can be easier than starting with a clean slate. It's going to have some kind of a gearbox and steering axle already installed. Then it's more about pulling old electronics and swap with something good.
I hope to have an alternative use for the 600MAH batteries soon. I would like to find some 1200MAH 2/3AA batteries that are affordable. The ONLY ones I can find are $8 to $12 for TWO of them. that's a little unreasonable to me, to spend that much, $24 to $36 U.S.D. just for batteries to build my own pack. Perhaps tomorrow, I may go to Batteries Plus Bulbs, & see if they can help source some that are a bit more affordable.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well, today DIDN'T go quite as planned. I went to Batteries + Bulbs today to try & get batteries. Theirs was worse then mine, as all they could source was 2/3AA 400MAH batteries. After that I ran around town & did a few more things.

As I got back home, & prepared to start in the garage, the phone rings. It was the call that sold the old ford ranger pickup truck that had been sitting for a few years. I was keeping it as a backup rig, but decided to let er go.

Flushed with cash, & having become such a large contracting services company, we needed a tax write off. We decided it was time to invest in a racecar!
McQueen was purchased from Fred Meyer about 2 months ago. It's the largest "cars" toy that I recall ever seeing made. It works out close to 1/10th scale. When I walked into the LHS, their jaws about hit the floor when I told them I WASN'T there to buy parts, (as I USUALLY am there ONLY to buy misc parts/pieces for various projects) but rather to buy a new RC car. They asked what I had in mind. I told them IDK, ANYTHING that will fit this body, as I flopped McQueen onto the countertop. After a few minutes of measuring & trying the body on a couple vehicles, I walked out with a new Traxxas Rustler.
unnamed (44) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Here's what's left of the stock chassis, & the packaging that it came in. Since McQueen WASN'T made as an RC, I had to gut the chassis from it. Who would have known them little screws they pt in it would be so d@m hard to get out? I was FINALLY able to remove the 3 front screws. After removing them, I carefully cut with the Dremel tool, the chassis near the remaining screw holes. I then took the same dremel tool with the same end mill bit still in it, & carefully carved off the remaining screws of that section in the body. Then I cut back to the next section, for a repeat.
unnamed (45) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

The body gutted from it's childs toy chassis
unnamed (46) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Here's the mock up on the donor chassis, of the Traxxas Rustler.
unnamed (47) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

I've got smaller tires to place on it yet, as well as figure out how/where to secure the body to the chassis. McQueen will fit right in with his buddy Towmater sitting next to him on the shelf.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-10-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I also took the D5 out for a lil video session today. Sorry, it's a small video snippet, as that's ALL my phone (ONLY thing I got that'll take video's) ONLY takes short vids before running out of memory. I need to adjust the blade servo a bit, so we have some down pressure to the blade. With the blade improperly adjusted, I WASN'T able to get down far enough to push well due to the rocky terrain.
Bruder D5 2nd version vid by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr
Old 11-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Nice looking apparatus!
That should be a ton of fun to start converting! How many functions are you thinking about? (Yay, i'm a bad influence)
It arrived me today.

I'm already feeling overwhelmed looking at it. I may have bit off more then I can chew with this project. I'm sure the onboard water system i was hoping for is not a viable option anymore. I've no idea where/how to do that. Also since the ladder will extend/retract, as well as pivot side to side, IDK how I'd make a hose to extend/shrink like that.

The other functions, lights, sound, fwd, rev, ladder extend/retract, ladder movement side to side, I'll have to take a look at it later this winter.

As IF I DIDN'T already have enough projects, I felt the need for another. ESPECIALLY with the insiders information I just hears about. Something bad is about to happen near the new year with the tractor industry, & the farmers won't be able to get enough machines to do their work this year. Having the inside scoop, I had to get in on the action by getting some equipment while they can be got. I hope that little twerp at the tractor manufacturing plant ISN'T pumping me full of BS about the grave situation that'll be happening. So.........................................knowing the secret insiders info, we acquired this little gem, a NewBright tractor
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bright-...72.m2749.l2649

Also had to acquire the wagon to go with it
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New...72.m2749.l2649

Hopefully we'll have enough time to get em right so that they are ready to go to work when they are needed.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-11-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 11-12-2017, 01:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Today, after doing a few things I needed to do, I started the Weyerhauser Logging truck conversion. I didn't get too far along on it, but it's a start. I got as far as chopping off the sleeper, adjusting the width of the previously rear panel/access door on the sleeper, & marking out where I intend to place the rear window.
unnamed (48) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

The hardware was previously used for open/close the access panel.......it's only there temporary, until I get everything sorted. Once things are ready to be glued in place, I'll remove them, & patch their holes.
unnamed (50) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

I took 5CM out of the center(ish) to make the panel fit it's new home.
unnamed (49) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr
Old 11-12-2017, 01:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1 more photo from today. This is what the sleep portion looked like, after i hacked it off. I used what Bo, in his steering mod tutorial calls a "FAST TOOL" to make the cut. I stayed rather far away from the cab portion of the truck while doing this. I would rather have a NON needed part look ragged & haggard, then the cab of the truck.
unnamed (51) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr
Old 11-12-2017, 04:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Instead of 2/3AA cells, Have you tried looking for 2/3A cells, they're usually good for 1500-1600 mah. They're about 0.650" diameter by 1.150" long.

Nice Rustler, or is that a Rusteeze now? I've got an old randomly upgraded ancient MSC version of it, you'll have fun.

Don't get overwhelmed, use the Elephant Method.
With the Ladder start with the basics: steer, drive, flashy lights, maybe some noise. Then later on when that's not enough, get a couple cheap esc to run the ladder up/down, right/left, in/out.
If after all that, you STILL have some insanity and the room to do it, maybe look into nitro fueltanks, fuel tube and fountain pumps or windshield washer sprayers. Water cool, but its a gimmic you can't do all the time and can easily trash your electronics.

Make conversions run and drive as soon as possible because it gives momentum to keep you from getting burned out because you already see the light at the end of tunnel.

I didn't know they did cable control tractors, that's pretty cool. I wonder how well it will be able to pull?

Nice progress on the daycab.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

Great website I found to make your fire truck put out some flames. https://www.harbormodels.com/firemonitors.html
Old 11-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank-you for the link. That's so cool, that they have WORKING version of them. I wonder if the 1;16th scale version is adaptable to working order?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Instead of 2/3AA cells, Have you tried looking for 2/3A cells, they're usually good for 1500-1600 mah. They're about 0.650" diameter by 1.150" long.

Nice Rustler, or is that a Rusteeze now? I've got an old randomly upgraded ancient MSC version of it, you'll have fun.

Don't get overwhelmed, use the Elephant Method.
With the Ladder start with the basics: steer, drive, flashy lights, maybe some noise. Then later on when that's not enough, get a couple cheap esc to run the ladder up/down, right/left, in/out.
If after all that, you STILL have some insanity and the room to do it, maybe look into nitro fueltanks, fuel tube and fountain pumps or windshield washer sprayers. Water cool, but its a gimmic you can't do all the time and can easily trash your electronics.

Make conversions run and drive as soon as possible because it gives momentum to keep you from getting burned out because you already see the light at the end of tunnel.

I didn't know they did cable control tractors, that's pretty cool. I wonder how well it will be able to pull?

Nice progress on the daycab.
Thank-You Sir, for the thoughts. I just ordered from evilbay some 2/3A NMH 1600MAH batteries. I'll try making a pack with them, to replace the current one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pcs-2-3-...cAAOxy2YtRtToU

The Rustler, it's now morphed into a Rusteeze race car. I like it a LOT! I've several Traxxas vehicles around here. I started with the nitro trucks/cars, I had 8 of them at one time. I went to LHS to buy a new motor for one of them. A man was there & saw me doing that, he inquired if I'd like some nitro motors. I replied, I may, what do you want for them. To my reply, he laughed, & said you can just have them for FREE! A short time later, I was following him to his house to get them. While there he showed me his truck/cars that he'd yanked the nitro engines off from. He showed me how he used redneck engineering to replace the nitro motors with brushless motors. He also introduced me to LIPO batteries. Before I left that mans house, he let me drive his Traxxas Tmaxx that he'd converted. My nitro Maxx NEVER popped wheelies like his did! I was sold, I went home, & converted my Reevo to an E-revo. Shortly there after, I ditched the nitro chassis, & acquired the electric version to swap everything over to. Everything went downhill after that. I sold the remaining gas vehicles. I went from those 8, to the currently 30+ RC vehicles. 2 boats, a few semi trucks &/or big rigs, some equipment, a couple Emaxx, a couple of the slash, a few Duratrax evaders, some models that are awaiting conversion from static to RC, others awaiting corded to cordless conversion, while still others are kits that need put together, & there's more.

I do concur. Vehicle driveability will be the first issue tackled, when I get around to this project.

I didn't know they did cable tractors either. I was searching fleabay for "NewBright" & thats how I found it. I looked through several pages of garbage before I found the GOOD stuff. By garbage I mean NewBright electronical components pieces/parts that people were trying to sell .

Hopefully it'll do alright pulling. I may have to add some weight over the drive tires to make it function more gooder.

The daycab.............well, it's just a start. I've got a LONG way to go before I cross the finish line with that project.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-12-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

The 1/15 says display only. I'm sure you could find some some wear that would work.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Come to think of it, it's got one on it already, I wonder if I could just hook hose(es) to it & make it work? I'll have to check next time I'm out in the garage.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm surprised none of the RC logging people here have done this Letourneau log loader yet. IF I had access to, or room in the garage to have machinery, I'd be doing one of these. I'm sure it'd be a one off, that no one else would do.
Loglifter Laterneou by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Last edited by skeeter; 11-12-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Letourneau spelled wrong