RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Euro Style Trucks and Trailers

Euro Style Trucks and Trailers A place for the Euro style trucks single and twin axle trucks and trailers...

Old 02-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ScaleART - Assembling a MAN TGX/XL 6x6 tractor & Trailer

Yup, true, but now thinking that maybe, just maybe I should put the air tanks on the other side side the fuel tank ... Then I don't have to worry so much about the front fender. Those rear ones are more forgiving ... Might give it a try. Have to wait for the missing bits of the rear suspension anyway.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:07 AM
Apprentice

Just moved all my stuff out of storage back into the guest kitchen. Just hope I still know which container holds what.

While not able to do much on the truck been thinking on how to make a support bracket for the air tanks with my limited tools.

Figured it would be better to make it in 2 separate parts. One L shaped bit that bolts on to the frame that will allow the part holding the air tanks to bolt to it. This approach will give a bit more flexibility in the distance the tanks have from the fuel tank/front fender by using spacers.

First problem is to get an accurate position of the 4 bolt holes in the frame.

I came up with the following solution that I tried out with some scrap pieces.

Cut a piece of plastic so it fits in the frame.

Clamp in place and carefully drill the 4 holes

Clamp this to a piece of brass plate and use the holes in the plastic as a guide

As you can see it kind of worked ... just have to be able to fix it better so it can't move about during the drilling.

So that is what is on the program for the moment. Will see how far I get with this approach. Don't really want to get "stuck" on this for too long either.

Mean while the 2 missing bits of the rear suspension arrived too ... of course the self same day I put everything in temporary storage.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:22 AM

Prop Shaft is on a distinguished road

Glad to see you back at this!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Apprentice

Yup slowly getting back into the truck. Having guests kind of disrupts ones routine. So now have a list of other things that need attention too. Simple stuff but time consuming.

Tomorrow will do another attempt at drilling holes. Fingers crossed I line them up properly this time. Got a new 2mm drill bit for the occasion
Old 03-10-2016, 11:29 PM
Apprentice

So my second try did work out. Bracket finished. Still needs some filing and sanding to take the sharp edges off.

Trial fit worked too.

Still needs a bit of adjusting and maybe try with the bracket on the outside.

Fits with the front fender too. The bottom air tank needs some mm filed off to accommodate the curve in the front fender.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Can you raise the tanks to allow the bottom tank to fit without mods? Looks like there is a little space to raise the mounting plate. Noticed you made multiple mounting holes in the plates for adjusting.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Lynn are you talking about packing shimes on the tank braket to raise tank a little ?

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:29 AM
Apprentice

Hi Tracy, Lynn is asking if moving the support from the air tanks up a couple of mounting holes might help in avoiding having to file off a bit from the bottom outrank.

So I did try that this morning. By moving the straight bracket that holds the air tanks up 2 holes.

This does indeed help a bit but not really that much due to the angle of the front fender. But as you can see not too much of the air tank would have to be grinded off.

At the moment the bottom air tank is pushing the front fender forwards so it is at an angle. (Have not tightened the bots 100% during all these fitting exercises) The angle is not as bad as it looks to be in the picture.

Going to let this rest for a bit and get the frame ready for paint.

Last edited by Rakthi; 03-12-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:13 AM
Apprentice

So after getting side tracked with the air tanks for a bit, back to the rear suspension. As mentioned already, the missing pieces were shipped and arrived safely.

So we start by assembling the leafs of the rear suspension.

Before we assemble them, I filed off the little nub that was left from the attachment point.

First we stack the leafs on the center bolt.

You can use two of the screws, that are used to attach other bits to the rear axles, in the big holes to make sure they are all aligned before tightening that nut.

Attach the bushing support to the leaf pack

Manual states to trim the screws (Left 2 done in this picture)

At this time I also run a 5mm dril bit through the bushing support to remove the coating. This makes it easier to install the bushing afterwards.

Next up is the suspension supports (same as for the air suspension)

I replace the M3x6 philips head screw with an allen head one. Easier to install (tip I got from German forum)

The assembly manual indicated to use the higher opening because this is a tractor truck ... might change that later because I intend to use this one more off road. Also I did not use grease on the bushing or Loctite on the screw. Have to come apart again to paint later. You can see that an allan key is easier to use than a philips screwdriver.

This is as far as I got this session.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:53 PM
Apprentice

Kind of weird to be quoting myself ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakthi View Post
Yup, true, but now thinking that maybe, just maybe I should put the air tanks on the other side side the fuel tank ...
So tried this version and turned out to be a great success! No need to file bits of the air tanks and no pressure on the front fender. Only need to drill a couple of holes from 1.5mm to 2mm which is easily done.

Here the result - (some nuts and bolts missing because still needs adjusting)

Need to move the left tank support one hole over. The air tank support is where the left fuel tank support was before. Will need to drill an extra hole in the frame for the third screw.

Still have to decide how high/low I will have the air tanks in relation to the fuel tank.

Well now that this is finally sorted, I can start on finishing the air tank support and then begin painting the frame and all the little bits and pieces from the rear suspension.

Next update will probably be after painting.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 AM

Isnt it funny how a solution just comes to you after an exorbitant amount of time mulling over the problem? Thats why I'm such a slow builder at times. Ill find myself just sitting and staring at things for hours untill I come up with a solution I like.
Its going to be nice to see some paint on this! Were you able to source some lacquer based rattle cans locally? If you can find some along with some self etching primer you wont regret the results. Or the super fast recoat/drying times. Good luck with the painting.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 AM
Apprentice

Funny is that I wrote it on here as an afterthought and then forgot about it ... Good thing I noticed or I still be thinking about it.

Found some decent RAL code paints, but they are acrylic. Will be a time consuming exercise, supposed to have about 1 - 2 days between zinc primer and final coats. Going to let it all cure properly and will try to be patient. Will do some test painting on some spare bits beforehand. Will see how it works out.

Not really looking forward to the painting, but needs to be done. Still have to decide which bits I will paint red and which ones black.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Glad to see that you figured out the air tank placement. Funny how little things cause the biggest headaches. I just finished my latest vehicle which I will get pics of and post later this week. I am like you. I hate to paint!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Apprentice

Hi Lynn ... It still kind of bugs me that if fits on one side and not the other. Was very close to throwing my hands in the air and putting in the larger tank. Well today is perfect for painting. Low humidity and no wind ... will do some samples and see how this paint works out. Lucky it is only the frame so it doesn't have to be perfect.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:38 AM

matze 77 is on a distinguished road

Hy,

it is a great Model!!!

Matze
Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Apprentice

Hi Matze, thanks for the compliment!

==============

Sprayed the zinc primer on various left over bits from the Arocs (brass, aluminium, stainless and cast zinc pieces). Seems the be very decent stuff. After 24 hours almost scratch free and seems to stick as it should. Will spray a coat of the paint on them on Friday to see if there is a bad reaction between the different layers. So far so good.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:26 AM
Apprentice

Have not given up on this build yet. Just that too many things need attention at the moment. Nothing really complicated but all just time consuming "deal with it now" things like getting new passport and transfer visa etc. So have spend a considerable time in planes, taxis and official offices.

As I mentioned, I painted some left over Arocs bits, and am happy with the quality of the paint. You can see where I have been scratching it with a screwdriver. Took a decent amount of pressure. It is only the stainless steel bits that will need sanding to roughen them up. Would love to bead blast them but that service not available locally.

Like for the air suspension, the covers of the track rods were too tight to fit over the connectors. This time I decided to drill them out a bit. Used a 3mm bit.

Then assembled them to the indicated 50mm length. Same as for the Arocs

Then fix the connector to both A-frames.

No pictures due to dead battery, but decided to use the lift blocks on the front suspension considering the intended use of the truck.

Continued a couple of days later and sanded it all a bit down. In the first picture you can see the lift blocks on the front suspension.

Lots of small bits to be painted ... going to be interesting

The hook-up at the back will be black, but the block is part of the frame, so red.

Still thinking how I am going to paint this front piece... all red or red/white or leave black. The sump protection has to be red though. More sanding there.

This cabin support (apart from the air filter) should also be either red or black.

That is where we are at now. Ready to paint but now high humidity and because no rain for 10 weeks very dusty ... not ideal. Not that big a problem since I seem to be suffering from paint block at the moment ... But we will get there. Hopefully next week all time consuming administrative issues will have been sorted, the real live cars serviced, insurance taken care off and home electrical issues fixed ...
Old 03-28-2016, 07:12 AM

Any progress is good progress. I dont care for painting either.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:19 AM
Apprentice

Got over my "paint bump" today and succeeded in putting primer on the frame and the suspension parts.

With the Arocs I had all bits and pieces hanging from a string, this time I choose another approach. Slower, but I feel I have more control.

After 30+ minutes I could turn the pieces over and paint the other sides. The little bits on the upper right side didn't need the bottom painted. They get bolted to the axles.

Now waiting for 24 - 48 hours for it to dry, then some more light sanding and the final layers can go on.

Meanwhile I can start prepping the other bits that need primer. Figured I do it in "batches" to keep parts together.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:51 AM
Apprentice

Finally some real progress to report ...

Painting went OK and I let it all sit for a couple of days to harden out.

Did the rear pendel suspension today. Didn't take that many pictures as it is already well documented in the Arocs thread starting at page 3 post 48.
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...t=10313&page=3

Here painted bits and pieces:

All bits sorted in approximate position of assembly.

First bolt the bits to the axles. Making sure to put Loctite on the screws.

Next up, the attachment for the A-frame.

Here I changed the order of assembling vs the Arocs. I remembered what a pain it was to attach the A-frame to the axle with the A-frame already in the chassis. So this time I attached it to the axle before bolting it in the chassis. Way easier to do!

Adding the bits and pieces needed to attach to the chassis. Needs grease and Loctite.

Once bolted to the chassis - making sure it still can move up and down - attached the tracking rods. Was a bit worried that the paint would make the fit difficult, but did not encounter any problems.

And last parts the actual leaf spring packet. Because I decided the truck would be "off-road" I used the lower attachment point.

That's it. Now waiting for the Loctite to set and then a bit of touch up on the nuts and bolts with red paint.

Tags
man tgx xl, scaleart, trailer