RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:20 PM

RexRacer19 is on a distinguished road
Default 3D Printed CAT 963K Track Loader w/Raspberry Pi Control

This is my first construction equipment build. It is inspired by JDH429's awesome D10 3D printed build, SteinHDan's Raspberry Pi controlled projects, and my interest in track loaders in general.

I decided to go with the newest CAT 963K loader for this project. I have not seen any RC versions up to this point. The scale will be 1:14.

I am using Solidworks to do all of the 3D modeling for this project. A 2-view image was used to create a scale reference in the software. The image is scaled to the overall height of the 963K and then most dimensions, outlines, angles etc., can be pulled from that to create parts. It has worked really well so far.

So far most of my time has been spent creating the solid models. I have the undercarriage mostly done, along with the tracks. The main frame/tub of the loader is still in basic form with a lot of the detail still needing to be added. The bucket and loader arm assembly is nearly done, with only a few details left to add. Here are some screenshots of the CAD work so far:

Progress has been a little slow in the last couple of weeks because of work, but hopefully I can get back on it and make some headway again soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3D Printed CAT 963K Track Loader w/Raspberry Pi Control

Keep up the great work! That's my favorite machine!
Old 08-07-2016, 03:32 PM

Was able to spend a little more time doing CAD this week. I was able to rough in the engine cover, rear grille, and the basic cab structure. The overall look is starting to shape up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Seems like a lot of hours spent in front of the computer. It will be exciting to follow this thread.

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 08-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Green Horn

SteinHDan is on a distinguished road

Very nice CAD work!

Best regards,
Stein :-)
Old 08-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftmys10 View Post
Keep up the great work! That's my favorite machine!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
Seems like a lot of hours spent in front of the computer. It will be exciting to follow this thread.
Yes it has been, and will continue to be. I think that putting in the time up front to develop a good CAD model will pay off when the build actually starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinHDan View Post
Very nice CAD work!
Thank you. Lots more to come.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Made a little more progress...

I started adding some detail to the chassis tub up front and along the sides.

I have also been finishing up the details on the undercarriage and designing the oscillating mechanism.

I think the undercarriage is almost to the point to where I can start printing parts for them. It will be nice to finally have some of this thing exist in the real world instead of just being virtual.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Looks great so far. Just curious are you going to print this yourself or send it to a 3d printing Co. like Shapeways?
Old 08-14-2016, 06:05 PM

Thanks. I plan on printing it myself.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

That will be a sweet model. Guess there are some hours put in behind the computer. What type of program are you using? Update, ignore that question, just read tread again and you said SW. Same program I used for the D8, now I have to change computer and will need a new program, SW to expensive
Will follow this closely, interesting with the 3D printed models. Do you have your own printer, if so what make?
1st real Caterpillar I owned was an HT4, it was very physical to drive with pedals, gearshifting and so. Those new machines looks much more driver friendly
/Dan

Last edited by D8R; 08-17-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Lots of hours. I should keep track, but I'm not sure I actually want to know. Good CAD software seems to always be expensive unless you have an older copy or something. I use Solidworks for my job, so I always have access. One program you might want to look into is Onshape. It is cloud based, so no need for software. There is a free version with limited models, and a subscription service with unlimited models.

I do have my own printer. I am using a Makerfarm Pegasus 10" printer. It is a rep-rap style printer with a 250mmx250mmx250mm print volume. I will post some pictures at some point in this thread.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:20 AM
Green Horn

SteinHDan is on a distinguished road

Another alternative is AutoDesk Fusion 360. Completely free for hobbyists and enthusiasts, but has all the bells and whistles, no limitations. That's what I'm using currently.

- http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Best regards,
Old 08-19-2016, 05:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

http://www.3ds.com/products-services...-cad-software/
Another free option, cheers!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinHDan View Post
Another alternative is AutoDesk Fusion 360. Completely free for hobbyists and enthusiasts, but has all the bells and whistles, no limitations. That's what I'm using currently.

- http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Best regards,
Hi Stein, thanks for the link. maybee time to scrap the 2003? version of SW that I currently use. I know, when started using the SW, that it takes som time to be up and running again, will definitly look into this one.
Just to check hardware requirements.
/Dan
Old 08-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Green Horn

Stefan is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeff, I can only agree with the previous postings: Very fine CAD modelling. Do you intend to 3D print all parts or maybe have some of the load carrying parts/plates laser cut from metal for increased stability?
Stefan
Old 08-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road

Will you be 3D printing the tracks?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hi Jeff, I can only agree with the previous postings: Very fine CAD modelling. Do you intend to 3D print all parts or maybe have some of the load carrying parts/plates laser cut from metal for increased stability?
Stefan
Thank you. I am planning on printing as much as possible. I am trying to design extra strength into the load bearing areas of the chassis and moving components. Hopefully it works out well, but there is always the option of making some things from metal if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avel View Post
Will you be 3D printing the tracks?
Yes. I have done some test prints of tracks already to test the clevis pin links that I intend to use, and they seem to work ok.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Green Horn

Kausekaos is on a distinguished road

Sweet, can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 PM

Spent a little more time modeling in some details. Also, I started working on some motor mounts. I plan to use Pololu 25D motors for motivation so I have been designing the mounting system based around those.

The mounts are integrated into the main chassis tub to tie everything together for strength. There are caps that get bonded to the bottom to cover the exposed part of the motor, and the end mounts get screwed and pinned to the main chassis. I think it should all be pretty solid.

I designed a fan shroud that works with a 60mm computer fan to help keep things cool inside and provide for additional scale looks.

The hydraulic cylinder specs were finalized, and I sent some drawings off to Magom to see if they will be able to make the cylinders to my specs. I sent them an email on Sunday, but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully soon...

Old 09-06-2016, 08:55 PM

I made some progress over the holiday weekend and actually started printing a few parts. Since 76 are going to be required, I started off with some track link/pads.

I am happy with how they are turning out. they will need a little bit of finishing work before painting, but they link together well and work with the 3/16" clevis pins I chose to use.

I also printed the outer part of the motor mounts. These came out nice, and fit the motors well. They seem to be plenty strong, too.