RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LR634 is HERE!!!!! Tracked loader

Wanted to add that I bought this stuff in a purple spray bottle called Super Clean to clean up the oil spills. Works well. I've also read that undiluted Simple Green works too.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Green Horn

http://youtu.be/X_EBvmhzqGc

Video of first run.

Also had a much easier time installing the collars. First I wore gloves, and used plenty of oil as lube. Everything went on very easily. Most of the collars I just used both my thumbs to push it on.

Also blew a line by pushing down on the shovel while the model was off. I learned to leave the valves open after that. Anyway it took less than 3 minutes to replace. I cut all the hoses 10cm longer than what the instructions called for. Ran it for awhile then changed the oil, cleaned the filter. I can't believe it's been 9 hours already.

Oh and to get the Dimension Engineering ESC to work without its BEC I pulled the positive wire out and turned off mixing. It wouldn't work with the onboard mixing enabled. This way I could use the BEC on the Brushless ESC for the pump motor. I originally bought the Dimension Engineering Sabertooth 2x5 RC because all this Radio mixing business seemed intimidating and I didn't know I could get a radio that could do it for so cheap. The Sabertooth is a compact way to control both of the brushed motors though.

Last edited by avel; 04-26-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 PM

headers is on a distinguished road

Nice,looking good and smooth.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Green Horn

went past the 20min limit, just wanted to add this.

I really should of gotten a 3 cell battery, the 2 cell doesn't let the pump motor spin up all the way. At least I think it doesn't
Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Green Horn

A 12 volt 3 cell battery is definitely needed. I had it hooked up to a 12v source and it was way stronger. The 2 cell is ok, but once it gets below about 8 volts, there is less digging power.

Spent about 2 hours outside digging in the dirt. I have this hole about a foot deep I dug about a year ago. Just enough to get below the majority of the roots in the field. It was FUN!! Finally went inside after strong wind and rain started up. Its going to take a lot of practice to get good at the controls. Still also messing around with the radio software and mixing things together.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Green Horn

Hooked up two 2S batteries in series today and the hydraulics were much more powerful. Had to adjust the radio settings so I still had fine control and so that the drive motors weren't as touchy.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Green Horn

Yesterday I got 50 minutes of heavy usage out of a 1350Mah 11.1 3S Lipo running the brushless pump motor! I had a 2S battery hooked up to the drive motors and to a separate BEC. I do have it mixed so the pump only kicks on when needed.

Then I got another battery and blew a hose. I turned up the pressure without using a gauge, so I am sure to blow some more until I get one.
I started making a video, and then it blew.
Then I took it apart, fixed it, took it out and a hose just popped off! Cleaned up and popped it back on, also routed the hydraulic lines a lot neater this time.

The loader

The work site. The hole was started by hand, the only thing carried/peeled out by the loader is the pile to the left.

The burst hose, probably pinched it when forcing it over the nipple.

Funny how the grease collected into a pillar. I am using Lucas Red'N'Tacky.

Two Great Planes? fuel filters, using them as air filters basically.

Just blew off, cleaned up the oil and slipped the hose back on.

Video, hose blew about 6 minutes in, almost at end of video.

http://youtu.be/YFM1wXHt-SY
Old 05-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Green Horn

Well that hose popped off again, this time I am cutting it down, should of done it in the first place.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Nice seeing the mountains in the background, where are you located?
Old 05-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Green Horn

Columbia Falls, Montana
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Green Horn

Ran the loader for 2 hours using a 3S 3200Mah Lipo for the pump and a 2S for the servos and drive motors. No hoses blew off or split.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Green Horn

Well went to take it for a spin in the dirt and the drive motors would barely turn. Or turned in tiny spurts. Kept pushing and pushing, finally the Sabertooth ESC just got really hot. None of the LED's lit up, it just got hot. So I measured the amps the motors pull by holding one of the tracks in my hand and connecting a 2S 7.4v lipo, I applied for a second and highest I saw was 17amps and it wasn't stalled, I let go because I didn't want to break anything. I thought the 2x5 Sabertooth would of been up to the job because supposedly the motors only pull a max of ~3amps. Well maybe when they aren't geared down.

Anyway just ordered the 2x12 Sabertooth.
Also explains the stopping and starting yesterday when driving over 100 feet through the field after the pump battery died.

I have two Hobbyking 40amp brushed esc's but the low 16khz switching speed and the resultant sound drives me insane! I was using one on a car today and from over 60 feet away you could hear it when going slow.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Green Horn

Took the shovel and arms off to paint and noticed this.

I cleaned it and put some JB Kwik in there and clamped it overnight.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

I have no experience with a hydro RC model but if weld didn't hold on your bucket heels I highly doubt JB Weld will. Good luck.

Seems these kits are not so easy for the novice like me.

Last edited by Claus; 05-04-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 PM

ngward79 is on a distinguished road

Definitely a odd spot for welds to brake and then bend how it did. I would've tried brazing it back together with Harris safety silv 45 brazing rod.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Green Horn

apfubar is on a distinguished road

Any idea how it occurred? I would check for any fouling over the buckets movement... Just in case it's hitting the arm at a gusset etc.

Cheers,
Ap
Old 05-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Green Horn

The stock kit weld did hold, it bent until that point. It's not hitting anything, just too many snagged roots. The JBweld is more for closing up the gap so that it doesn't snag again as easily. I formed the cold weld into a fillet like shape.

ngward79, I will try that. I've never brazed anything before.

Also took the tracks off and I am missing over 8 E-clips! Going to order some more. I need to lower the top speed too, the nylon tracks are wearing quite a bit on the inside. I think it happened when going over some smallish gravel and turning sharply.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Green Horn

While waiting for the Sabertooth 2x12 I did some painting.

Too lazy to disconnect the hydraulics.

Cut down the steel insert/divider thingy. Notch is for hydraulic tank breather hoses to come up through. Painted with this rubber stuff by Rust-Oleum, the red is just some permanent marker that was on there.

Painted the tracks with a Metallic Dark Steel color by Rust-Oleum, looked cheap. Later sprayed with same gray as body, mostly on the track pads. Replaced the lost E clips.

Started to drill out the back end ventilation slats, then stopped and glued some styrene from a "For Sale" sign to reinforce the area.

The tools I used. I run the Dremel at the lowest speed and stop the chuck from rotating with my finger so that I don't put holes where I don't want them. Then I thread the saw blade through and cut the slot out. Then finish up with the knife, file, and sanding stick.

The yellow paint is put on really thick so I might strip it a little before spraying this area gray when I am done with all the work.

All paint was Rust-Oleum 2X spray cans, Sun Yellow, and some kind of gray.

Last edited by avel; 05-12-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Green Horn

Gloss Dark Gray was the color.
Some more painted parts here.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Green Horn

Cut down weight with a hacksaw.

I used brake fluid and applied it with a paper towel to areas I wanted to strip and came back around 20 minutes later and scraped the paint off with a credit card and toothbrush.

Fan hot glued in place. Carved out about 1/8" from each side panel so that it fit without any stress on the body.

Two 3S 8amp batteries in parallel. Weight is for the temporary brace that I glued down. Had to cut the sheet metal divider plate to move the batteries forward a bit to clear the fan in the back.

Testing. I had the fan running at 6v from a BEC that I could switch from the radio. I am going to try it out hooked directly up to the battery with the BEC activating it via a relay. I want to eventually have it run automatically when needed.

I also added one more track pad to each side. Downside was that it skipped when turning in place quickly. I used some styrene from the kit and glued it on the back of the tensioner thingy. Two are visible, and added another one inside on the other end of the spring, inside where it is not visible.

Now I am figuring out the cab and how I will attach it, I want it to be removable. Thinking of using more magnets for that. Also need to trim some wires and route them neater.

Waiting on my manometer so that I can see what I set my pressure too. Also thinking of ways to modify the teeth, maybe cover them with aluminum as they are wearing already.