RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Clifford The Work Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Looking pretty good Tyler and much better without the pusher.

Ya know, with such a whirlwind of activity at St Louis to move all that dirt in virtually one day, there's alot of things we forgot to do! ...or maybe I missed it b/c I was lost in my own lil world of running my track hoe non stop.

Did Izzy ever bring his sled?

I do recall Izzy trying to pull three loaded bellydumps with his IH COE. Izzy's quad axle lead, Nathan's triple axle lead and either/or's tandem axle pup and the IH didn't have the traction to pull it... that would have been a reasonably good measuring ruler to pit one workhorse against another for a bit of spirited competition, eh?

Maybe next time...
yea , If I had room to put my 5900i in the jet although I may speed it up just a hair .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Green Horn

crawler07 is on a distinguished road

great truck it looks right at home pulling that trailer.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I believe now that I have the extra battery stashed in the rear frame rails along with the new esc for the trailer neck I about to consider this project done for a while. I really wanna keep going with it but it's time to enjoy running it for a bit.

Travis, you were right after I looked at the truck for an hour or two and figured out the brackets to mount everything fitting the mfu in it wasn't too bad at all. The biggest hassle was tracing all the wires through the truck and keeping everything neat and tidy.

As for the show Joe, you didn't miss the sled, I don't think it got brought out but it sure would have been a great idea on the dirt road seeing who could pull it all the way. Maybe something like that for next years show.

I will post some pics later of the new electronics stashed in the frame once I get things tidy'd up a bit more then off to pulling a few more wires and having the neck lock done and fully operational.

Thanks again for all the compliments guys and hope to have pics and possibly a video up soon.

Tyler
Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Journeyman

Well I just couldn't leave well enough alone this evening and got to working on the truck and changing a few things that bugged me and got a few things finished up. I started by getting rid of the ugly dirty white mud flaps in the back and making my own set out of some material I found at the local hobby lobby saturday and also mounted my power plug for the trailer neck so I decided to take a quick video for you guys to see how it works.

Here are some side by side shots for comparison on the flaps and some of what it looks like now that the new black ones are on. I like them so much better than the white ones.
I went a little longer too so I don't have to worry about kicking anything up at the trailers and equipment.

And here are some shots of the neck and a quick video of the neck and truck running.

And finally the video.

Hope you guys like the updates I made tonight.

Tyler
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Journeyman

I'm also still debating stretching the frame a little more but I'm not sure if it will look right. I'm thinking maybe 1.5" to 2" so I can fit a tool box on the side or maybe a locker box of some sort. What do you guys think would look best?

Tyler
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Green Horn

petermoblin is on a distinguished road

The black flaps look way better and I like what you did with the pmd tail plate
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Green Horn

crawler07 is on a distinguished road

its awesome that power hoock up is the cats pjs!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

hmmm Like the new flaps, not sure on a longer stretch. I thinki it looks good the way it is!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermoblin View Post
The black flaps look way better and I like what you did with the pmd tail plate
Thanks, I wanted something a little different but still clean enough that it didn't look to overdone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler07 View Post
its awesome that power hoock up is the cats pjs!
Thanks, I needed something that wouldn't get bound up and this is the best idea I could come up. Hopefully it'll work for the trailer I have in the works for this truck as well. I hope to maybe reveal it later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
hmmm Like the new flaps, not sure on a longer stretch. I thinki it looks good the way it is!
Thanks Aaron, I'm thinking for now the truck is staying the same length till I get everything worked out of it and setup how I want. I may add an inch to it so I can squeeze a few more things in the frame that are going to be in version #3 but that will be after the show I have to have the truck at on the 17th of this month for the local truck guys to gander at.

Although I can't wait to rebuild it all and clean everything up and get everything functioning.

Tyler
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Journeyman

Well I got the trailer wired up and functioning tonight and took a video of my first attempt of unhooking and hooking back up to the trailer while loaded. Now don't make fun my sad attempt but I think it'll do better when its not stuck in the carpet. I kinda had to cheat a bit when it got stuck but all is good now. Anyways heres the video and a pic of the full setup loaded on the trailer behind the truck. Hope you enjoy.

Thanks for lookin guys.

Tyler
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Journeyman

Well I've had a little extra time to do some designing and building so I decided to start on my new trailer this evening. I'm going to be modeling this trailer off of a 40' end dump and hoping it will lift a full bed. I've finally gotten all of my parts in that I needed and here are a few shots from my progress this evening.

Hope to have some more updates for ya'll soon. I'm hoping to get the upper slide and tilt done this weekend and have the main frame operational.

Thanks for looking and lemme know what ya think,
Tyler
Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tyler, truck is looking awesome and a MFU in a day cab! That could not have been easy. Very cool truck and trailer combo.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 AM

A little practice and a smooth surface and you'll be a master with that trailer!
Great start in the new dump trailer!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Journeyman

Well its time to give Clifford a few more goodies for winter time. Early Christmas presents for the truck. I decided to add a deer catcher to the front since were into rutting season now and night driving is becoming more common and also got the air breathers on for winter so he can have a good breath of fresh air. I got some air cleaners from Steve back at the St. Louis show and finally got around to getting them on the truck and it looks much better now.

Here are a couple of new pics of how the front end of Clifford looks as of this evening.

Now wont be long before the first snow falls hopefully and I can get this truck out and see how the all wheel drive works. Thinking about possibly adding chains to it for winter but we will see how it goes at first.

Thanks for looking guys,

Tyler
Old 12-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Looks Great Tyler.. I like how you have that deans connecter in your plate that is a nice touch for sure..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
Looks Great Tyler.. I like how you have that deans connecter in your plate that is a nice touch for sure..
Thanks for the compliment Paul. I couldn't find a real good way to hide it so I just incorporated it all into the plate and whenever I have another trailer attached I can use it for screw drives as well since it's hooked directly up to the speed controller located in the drivers side fuel tank.

Tyler
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I'm with Paul. The Deans connector looks nicely done. How did you secure to the plate? I've been racking my head trying to come up with a clean way to that. Other then using non-Deans type connectors, I really wasn't sure.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 AM

hvy 1ton is on a distinguished road

The same problems come up with 1:1's too. One way to fix it is too put a 4x4 between the neck and the truck frame when unhooking. The other way is to have a push-off to lift the neck up off the truck frame. You can see the push-off in pics 2 and 3. Hope this helps.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...licNeck003.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...licNeck004.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...licNeck005.jpg
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Put a screw on each side under the neck and slide some tubing over them to the right hight so when you lower the neck it'll sit on them and that should do the trick. Or use a mini servo and a block with a groove to sit between the rails and on top of them locking the neck straight for an easier re attatchment to the trailer. just an idea
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Journeyman

Well it's been a while since I've done anything to the truck other than running it every now and then just for the heck of it so I decided to take a little break from the loader and jump back over to the truck and trailer for a while.

I had started on my dump trailer back in December and got the frame mocked up for starters and that was it. I decided tonight to take and clean off the work bench and start on it again so here is a progress shot. I have the screw drive installed in the back of the trailer over the rear axle area and have the sides cut to the correct contour. I also got all the suspension done and the support legs installed and working as well. Here is my one and only teaser shot of the trailer for tonight as I hope to have some movement of the upper frame assembly tomorrow.

Thanks for looking guys and hope to have some more updates for everyone throughout the week.

Tyler