RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Bill Signs trucking truck...not excactly...

OK everyone, I just wanted to let you see what I have in mind for a not to far off project...
I recently joined 1/24 scale model trucks, and I was going through the threads and came across something very interesteing. This gentleman named John had built a 1/25 scale model of the Bill Signs Trucking. It has a interesting spread axle configuration, with custom tool boxes between the axles...look's like some more of Russ's air ride
Now I asked John if he would mind if I built this in 1/14 scale r/c, and he was honored
I had this model years ago, and it was a very detailed kit...Revell of Germany, what do you expect
I've contacted SnP (John) to paint the body, and it's like I told him, i've seen his paint jobs, and I have no worries
Anyhoo, i've babbled enough, and here is a couple of pic's of what I like to call "BIG BLUE"
The grill and the head light housings won't be painted.

Let me know what you think...now if I can just get someone to make the tool boxes...

Thanx for looking, Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:02 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bill Signs trucking truck...not excactly...

Hi john, now that was and still is a great kit as there was a lot of chrome and $$$ to buy, to do justice to the kit I think you would be best following the way Brian in PA built his tipper with opening bonnet, going from there with custom grill /rear wall panel for the truck and the rest of the one off parts that this model kit was know for so when people see it they know it based on the revell kit......
http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum...threadID=30433
http://pete389.proboards.com/index.c...ay&thread=4284

Just my thoughts about it...

Cheers Tracy

Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Bill Signs trucking truck...not excactly...

This is a very nice looking tractor it has a lot of detail I like it a lot. Ed
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

I say go for it - I like cossets ideas - might even get ahold of one of those cat die cast engines
Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Trucks like these seem to be Canadian in origin. You never see these in the USA. The spread drive axles is like a Canadian trademark. Not really sure why they build them like that. Another signature look of these trucks is the rear frame, beind the last axle. It's got a radius and not the typical frame taper to it. Very unique and cool. They have a really heavy look to them. I believe the radius frame is used to get a trailer up onto the 5th wheel.

Like Dustin said, Brand Modell did a truck up like this. Probably not the exact replica of this one, as I've seen quite a few variations of these spread axle trucks over the years. I have some photos, but I'd have to dig them up.

This would make an awesome build. I had ideas to do something up like this, but probably never will.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Green Horn

REEVE2007 is on a distinguished road

The spread on the axles is a requiremnt for different weights depending on which state/country you are in. Alot of the states in the USA are the same but states like California that like to be DIFFERENT (harder on truckers) make there axle requirements completely different then most making it harder to get maximum weight on your axles in other states.

The tapered rear frame rails are ramps used in California 99.9% of the time. It is common for heavy haulers in the east to use self powered removable goose necks. It is most common for heavy haulers in California and some surrounding states to run manual removable goose neck trailers which requires ramps to get under the neck after yuo drop the trailer and un latch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Trucks like these seem to be Canadian in origin. You never see these in the USA. The spread drive axles is like a Canadian trademark. Not really sure why they build them like that. Another signature look of these trucks is the rear frame, beind the last axle. It's got a radius and not the typical frame taper to it. Very unique and cool. They have a really heavy look to them. I believe the radius frame is used to get a trailer up onto the 5th wheel.

Like Dustin said, Brand Modell did a truck up like this. Probably not the exact replica of this one, as I've seen quite a few variations of these spread axle trucks over the years. I have some photos, but I'd have to dig them up.

This would make an awesome build. I had ideas to do something up like this, but probably never will.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossett View Post
Hi john, now that was and still is a great kit as there was a lot of chrome and $$$ to buy, to do justice to the kit I think you would be best following the way Brian in PA built his tipper with opening bonnet, going from there with custom grill /rear wall panel for the truck and the rest of the one off parts that this model kit was know for so when people see it they know it based on the revell kit......
http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum...threadID=30433
http://pete389.proboards.com/index.c...ay&thread=4284

Just my thoughts about it...

Cheers Tracy
I do agree with you Tracy. Everything that I can do to replicate this truck, I am going to do my best...And with the great vendor's on the board, i'm sure i'll have no problem's

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I say go for it - I like cossets ideas - might even get ahold of one of those cat die cast engines
I don't know about the dicast engine, do to there is na sleeper.
The motor/tranny would sit back so far, I don't think it would work.
But not a bad idea

Big John

Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road

Seeing as i used to be a trucker , and live in canada i can tell you that 60 inch spread is the max. ive ever seen , and you rarely see that anymore cause its just too hard on the tires And we call those lowbed ramps, for picking up trailers that dont have landing gear. On such a short wheelbase tractor those rear tires would be worn out in a few months .
Old 12-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I want to thank everyone who has had input on the truck, telling me things I didn't know.
I'm thinking stock King Hauler frame...and with that, it might be a little longer than the actual truck, but that's ok with me.
I have the kh body and maybe a rolling chassis coming my way before to long...so now it's just a matter of time
If anyone has any idea's, input, or anything else to add, feel free to.
This is going to be interesting for sure

Thanx again, Big John

Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 PM

CustomClod is on a distinguished road

This is going to be a cool looking rig when its done! Keep us updated.
Scott
Old 12-11-2011, 01:57 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Bill Signs Trucking is a californian heavy haulage company.

http://billsignstrucking.com/

Joe
Old 12-11-2011, 03:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Bill Signs Trucking is a californian heavy haulage company.

http://billsignstrucking.com/
Thank you so much for the link, very interesting reading
And the video made my mouth water, lol.

Big John

Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomClod View Post
This is going to be a cool looking rig when its done! Keep us updated.
Scott
I sure will Scott, but I probably won't get started 'til after christmas...maybe santa will bring me some goodies. Probably not, according to the little lady of the house, I haven't been very good this year

Big John

Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 AM

straightpipejakebrake is on a distinguished road

I had this kit too and always wondered what it would be like in 1/14 RC. The stock KH fuel tanks should work fine. The biggest problems I think you will have is those straight pipes and the taper at the end of the frame. Doing the decals should not be a problem...just scan the originals and resize them for 1/14 right? I have the instruction manual, maybe I could scan it for you so you have an idea of what goes where? Good luck on the build and keep us updated!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightpipejakebrake View Post
I had this kit too and always wondered what it would be like in 1/14 RC. The stock KH fuel tanks should work fine. The biggest problems I think you will have is those straight pipes and the taper at the end of the frame. Doing the decals should not be a problem...just scan the originals and resize them for 1/14 right? I have the instruction manual, maybe I could scan it for you so you have an idea of what goes where? Good luck on the build and keep us updated!
Thank you spjb, i've wonderd on how this was done.
I contacted S&P, (John) to do the paint. And if he can, i'm going to have the graphic's painted...we'll see what happens.

Thanx buddy, Big John

Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

John here is a neat way of replying to multiple replies without doing a separate post for each one. Use the multi quote button beside the quote button in the bottom right side of the replies you want to reply to. Once you have clicked all of the multi quote buttons in the replies you want to reply to click on the post reply button in the lower left corner under the last post and it will put all of the quotes in one post and you can reply to them all at once and help keep your thread nice and tidy. I hope this helps make things easier and faster for you.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 12-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Great lookin model John! these Revell of Germany are great kits. i built 2 Pete models and I still have 2 KW dumps to do. I'll probably never do it though. I like the detail they have like pose-able steering and opening doors.

Brian
Old 12-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
Great lookin model John! these Revell of Germany are great kits. i built 2 Pete models and I still have 2 KW dumps to do. I'll probably never do it though. I like the detail they have like pose-able steering and opening doors.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
John here is a neat way of replying to multiple replies without doing a separate post for each one. Use the multi quote button beside the quote button in the bottom right side of the replies you want to reply to. Once you have clicked all of the multi quote buttons in the replies you want to reply to click on the post reply button in the lower left corner under the last post and it will put all of the quotes in one post and you can reply to them all at once and help keep your thread nice and tidy. I hope this helps make things easier and faster for you.

Travis
God bless you fhhhstix. Now I know, and thanx a million.

Brian , revell of germany kit's are very detailed. I have to say the first truck was a c/o kw, and when I opened the box and seen all part's, chrome, and decal's, I was flabbergasted.
And there is something about a static model sitting there with the wheel's posed "steering", add's more realism.
But I do have one complaint about the germany truck kit's. On the cummin's, they don't have a starter...I guess there attitude is, "if you can't see it, why put it in the kit".

And right now tower hobbies has the Bill Sign's truck for $109.99.
Kinda pricey, but I think it's worth it considering all the detail

Big John

Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

But I do have one complaint about the germany truck kit's. On the cummin's, they don't have a starter...I guess there attitude is, "if you can't see it, why put it in the kit".

I'll have to check it out. I've never noticed that.

Brian