RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road
Default Oilfield King Hauler

Well, decided to try and build a oilfield rig,always liked the oilfield trucks,see them all the time in my line of work.
Going to try and shoot for a flatbed look with a rolling tailboard,and a headache rack with a winch.
Just getting started ,have a long way to go on this build.
I rough cut the 16 gauge out for the fifth wheel with the plasma cutter,then did the final straight cuts with the dremel with a cut off wheel.
Going to try and build the bed like this rig,pic to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pumptech; 04-06-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oilfield King Hauler

That's going to look cool! Did you weld the pieces together?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

A great start to a unique style of truck Tommy.

Gonna use a wdc winch and add gin poles?

Joe
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Nice! i think I would stretch it out a bit. Add lots of chains, cables and binders.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Green Horn

Dairyland Trucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Oilfield King Hauler

I too think it would look nice stretched a bit but it look just as nice the way you are going with it, can't wait to see how you replicate the winch and frame will be nice when finished... Keep the update pictures coming.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Wannabe

@ dabears
Hey thanks ,i've always thought the oilfield trucks were cool ,hope I can do it justice. I cut the metal about halfway through at the rear of the bed,then bent down to the angle i needed ,then spot welded just for now,still have quite a bit of metal fabbing to do.

@ Joe
Hey Joe ,thanks man.
Thought about using a winch from rc4wd ,shows to be on back order though,will be a while before I need it ,may look around some more for one..
I have thought about gin poles,may leave those out .

@ Claus
Thanks for the pic,cool rig ,well ,have already cut the frame to shorten a little,The way I do my metal work is a little slow,with the tools I have .
Will probably leave it the lenght it is now.

@ Dairyland trucker
Thanks ,yea looking foward to getting to the headache rack .Have a few ideas for it,have a ways to go on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnailCAO8I3M5.jpg (7.5 KB, 8 views)

Old 04-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Wannabe

Well, a little progress on the oilfield rig.
Got the sides cut out and tacked on ,got the rear section drop down recess plated in,picked up some 1/4 keystock at a local industrial supply store,got the winch in ,now to get cracking on the headache rack.
Just getting everything tack together ,then weld it out.
Couple more pics

Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

I'm loving this unique build, I've never seen trucks like that before, considering there isn't many oil fields in New Jersey LOL. Just wondering where your gonna put the fuel tanks? Might need a little stretch to the frame for a place to fit the fuel tanks and tool boxes.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
I'm loving this unique build, I've never seen trucks like that before, considering there isn't many oil fields in New Jersey LOL. Just wondering where your gonna put the fuel tanks? Might need a little stretch to the frame for a place to fit the fuel tanks and tool boxes.
Hey Bricknick ,thanks for the compliments ,Been thinking about that to,may pull off the step that's on there now,put the fuel tank under the door .Then again another idea may come to me,lol, also going to raise the fifth wheel bracket up a hair to be flush with the bed.

Last edited by pumptech; 04-11-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Pretty nice work so far! I like that this truck is different and unique. I kind of like the shorter look, as the one photo you posted first, shows a shorter oilfield truck, and the length of your model looks like a match. I would throw the fuel tanks under the cab and get rid of the battery box steps. That would solve the question of where to put the tanks.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Nice metal work! I think the length is right, as you well know these oilfield winch trucks aren't all 300-400" wheelbase monsters! You could put a tank under one door and the battery box under the other. We get 1:1's through here spec'd like that all the time. Those trucks don't run coast to coast so they don't need to carry alot of fuel, save the room for other goodies
Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Pretty nice work so far! I like that this truck is different and unique. I kind of like the shorter look, as the one photo you posted first, shows a shorter oilfield truck, and the length of your model looks like a match. I would throw the fuel tanks under the cab and get rid of the battery box steps. That would solve the question of where to put the tanks.
Hey Nathan
Thank you very much,have a long way to go on the bed,I have a flap type grit buffing disc for my side grinder will use,really works good grinding down and polishing up the welds ,yea I kinda like the shorter bed length, thanks for the advice on the fuel tank ,will change that.Will look like the 1.1

Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Nice metal work! I think the length is right, as you well know these oilfield winch trucks aren't all 300-400" wheelbase monsters! You could put a tank under one door and the battery box under the other. We get 1:1's through here spec'd like that all the time. Those trucks don't run coast to coast so they don't need to carry alot of fuel, save the room for other goodies
Hey truckmaker ,being viewing your build ,awesome build !!
Thanks for the compliments ,yea, the lenght looks good to me to, should work fine for pulling a future trailer build,lol
Thanks for the advise for the fuel tank

Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Hey truckmaker ,being viewing your build ,awesome build !!
Thanks for the compliments ,yea, the lenght looks good to me to, should work fine for pulling a future trailer build,lol
Thanks for the advise for the fuel tank
Thanks for checking mine out.

Don't know if you got an idea for a trailer yet but check out this link if you haven't already. I like the pictures they have plus the drawings with dimensions! Makes it easy to scale They have an oil field float which would go nice with your build With your metal working ability it should be a breeze!

http://www.rogerstrailers.com/trailers.php?&sn=6
Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Thanks for checking mine out.

Don't know if you got an idea for a trailer yet but check out this link if you haven't already. I like the pictures they have plus the drawings with dimensions! Makes it easy to scale They have an oil field float which would go nice with your build With your metal working ability it should be a breeze!

http://www.rogerstrailers.com/trailers.php?&sn=6
Hey truckmaker ,you beat me to it ,lol ,thats exactly what I had in mine
Thanks for the link,just saved that pic to my pics.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM

hvy 1ton is on a distinguished road

Something like this? A tool box would still fit under either side of the winch cage.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...?OHID=2145714&
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t800 winch 1.jpg (46.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg t800 winch 2.jpg (60.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by hvy 1ton; 04-12-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvy 1ton View Post
Something like this? A tool box would still fit under either side of the winch cage.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...?OHID=2145714&

Thanks for the link,thats a good looking rig,soon as I get through with the headache rack ,start on some tool boxes.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Wannabe

Little update on the oilfield rig, been working on the headache rack,got the basic structure of the rack built ,still have the horizontal pieces to fit in and some grinding to do.
Worked on the rear bumper a little ,going to shorten up a little
Couple of more pics.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lookin' good, and you do fine metal work.

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

Nice work on the Headache Rack! It looks better and better with each update!