RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unit Cable Hoe

that turned out pretty good!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Well hey Scott don't keep these aluminum brazing tricks to your self now...

What sticks, any flux needed, ect, ect, ect.....

-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
that turned out pretty good!
Thanks Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
Well hey Scott don't keep these aluminum brazing tricks to your self now...

What sticks, any flux needed, ect, ect, ect.....

-Mike
I bought the rods at harbor freight and they are called Alumarod. Clean the aluminum with a wire brush and heat the aluminum up to over 750 degress and touch the rod to the hot aluminum and it flows on just like solder on a brass.

There are a couple of negatives though that I experienced when soldering aluminum. The Alumarod flows almost to thin and it flows down hill easily and pools. Also if you are brazing a very small item and you need to attach multiple pieces, every single piece must be secured to the main object until the heat dissipates from the entire object or it will fall apart. If I want to solder teeth on the front of the the bucket now I have to clamp the whole assembly so it doesn't fall apart or shift while heating it up. Now that I know this I would use metal pins to assemble the entire bucket and just solder the whole thing in one shot.
It was funny...the first time I used the rod I had the bucket clamped perfectly and had all of the joints soldered very cleanly and I went to flip the whole thing over to solder the bottom and when I picked it up the whole thing fell completely apart! DOH!!!! now I have a big mess! I had to clean up all the contact areas again and start over. So, the next time I soldered everything from the top and let it cool down and then flipped it over and heated it back up again to solder the bottom.

I was impressed with how well it works though. I would like to have a rectangular stick (the long beam the bucket attaches to) on the hoe and I might use the Alumarod to solder two U channel pieces together to make it.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
Thanks Dean

I bought the rods at harbor freight and they are called Alumarod. Clean the aluminum with a wire brush and heat the aluminum up to over 750 degress and touch the rod to the hot aluminum and it flows on just like solder on a brass.

There are a couple of negatives though that I experienced when soldering aluminum. The Alumarod flows almost to thin and it flows down hill easily and pools. Also if you are brazing a very small item and you need to attach multiple pieces, every single piece must be secured to the main object until the heat dissipates from the entire object or it will fall apart. If I want to solder teeth on the front of the the bucket now I have to clamp the whole assembly so it doesn't fall apart or shift while heating it up. Now that I know this I would use metal pins to assemble the entire bucket and just solder the whole thing in one shot.
It was funny...the first time I used the rod I had the bucket clamped perfectly and had all of the joints soldered very cleanly and I went to flip the whole thing over to solder the bottom and when I picked it up the whole thing fell completely apart! DOH!!!! now I have a big mess! I had to clean up all the contact areas again and start over. So, the next time I soldered everything from the top and let it cool down and then flipped it over and heated it back up again to solder the bottom.

I was impressed with how well it works though. I would like to have a rectangular stick (the long beam the bucket attaches to) on the hoe and I might use the Alumarod to solder two U channel pieces together to make it.

Cool thanks Scott.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

wow that does sound tricky! what did you use for the heat? propane torch or go to oxy/acc torch?
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

Bucket looks good.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
wow that does sound tricky! what did you use for the heat? propane torch or go to oxy/acc torch?
A little map gas bottle with a hose & torch head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTech9 View Post
Bucket looks good.
Thanks.

I used some scrap aluminum that I had laying around to jury rig a stick & boom to figure out the best length and pivot locations. Next I need to add the pulley at the top of the stick and the pulley down by the bucket because pulley the cable 1/1 is a little too fast and having twice the power will be nice. I have the servo rate turned down so that it doesn't move too fast setup directly... I'll probably use these dimensions on the final boom. It digs ok with this sloppy setup so, with teeth on the bucket and a bigger mouth opening (the stick is in the way on the jury rigged setup) it should dig very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdtQ9FA-Xs

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

it looked to be doing okay as it was in the video lol. This is gonna be a heck of a project of yours!

the boom line, is it just one piece from the lower boom to the servo then back to the top of the boom?
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Wannabe

Nice video!!! Looking good!!!

Last edited by RCTech9; 02-01-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Unit Cable Hoe

Scott you got it working real good and when you get the teeth on it will be working better because the dirt will stay in the bucket a lot longer and you will reach the truck before any dirt comes out. Ed
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Impressed! nice using servos for power and they are cheap, 11.70.
Did buy servos 2 weeks ago, thought they where cheap, Hitec HS-225MG at $32 each (at least cheap here in Sweden). Got to try to make a small servo powered model some day!
Saw that your servo source had servos with continuos rotation at 14 bucks, anyone tested those?
Dan
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
it looked to be doing okay as it was in the video lol. This is gonna be a heck of a project of yours!

the boom line, is it just one piece from the lower boom to the servo then back to the top of the boom?

It works ok but, it still needs some tweaking.

No, there are two drums (servo driven) one for the top line (called a hoist line) and one for the bottom line (called a crowd line) to the bucket.

Quote:
Nice video!!! Looking good!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Scott you got it working real good and when you get the teeth on it will be working better because the dirt will stay in the bucket a lot longer and you will reach the truck before any dirt comes out. Ed
Thanks Ed! Agreed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Impressed! nice using servos for power and they are cheap, 11.70.
Did buy servos 2 weeks ago, thought they where cheap, Hitec HS-225MG at $32 each (at least cheap here in Sweden). Got to try to make a small servo powered model some day!
Saw that your servo source had servos with continuos rotation at 14 bucks, anyone tested those?
Dan
Thanks Dan. The servos that are in this crane are HD-9150MG's that were about $40 a piece but, the ones I am using for the final version of the cable hoe have the same specs.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The pulleys are now added and they made a big difference in how the boom rises while digging. Now I need to figure out the second tower by the cab and how that is setup because I think that will help a lot when you reach the bucket all the way out and down.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Scott, I'll get you some images from a B-E book so you can get the geometry correct. That thing is working nice. Looks like the bucket will have to be cured more seeing the dirt falling out too soon. I have some of the small machines: 10,15,20,22,25B parts books to look at.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Scott, I'll get you some images from a B-E book so you can get the geometry correct. That thing is working nice. Looks like the bucket will have to be cured more seeing the dirt falling out too soon. I have some of the small machines: 10,15,20,22,25B parts books to look at.
Steve, I think the straight angle will be fine after the teeth are on there. Do you have any good pics or documentation of the pulley tower by the cab on a 22B Hoe? That is the part I can't figure out how that is set up. It is just a single loop of steel with pulleys on top so, the cable setup must keep the tower in position?

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here it is loading the Mack with the new pulley setup. It lifts the load much better with the pulleys setup like the 1:1 unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syd2XaANbuU

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Wannabe

Yet another nice video!!! I think you should just paint the Boom/stick and call that part done L0L.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Your a pro at these conversions. I tried Albert's Cat skid steer on the weekend and it is a thing of beauty. What next, do you have up your sleeve.
Rob
Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Yet another nice video!!! I think you should just paint the Boom/stick and call that part done L0L.
Thanks! I gotta make a nicer boom and stick though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Your a pro at these conversions. I tried Albert's Cat skid steer on the weekend and it is a thing of beauty. What next, do you have up your sleeve.
Rob
Thank you very much Rob. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the delta loader! I actually don't have any future projects in the works.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
It is just a single loop of steel with pulleys on top so, the cable setup must keep the tower in position?
That's called the jack boom. The boom hoist holds it from flopping forward and the weight of the boom/stick keeps it from flopping backward. The boom hoist has about a four-part line. Then when you're digging deeper you lean it forward a little and when you're digging shallower you lean it back a little as needed. i think there are usually three or four sheaves on it. Two on the outside for the boom hoist and one in the middle between the uprights if using a two part line to the top of the stick or two in the middle if using a three-part line. I would recommend finding an old copy of "Moving the Earth". Among other things, there are good explanations of revolving shovels and the various attachments.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOVING-EARTH-WOR...item5adc732dc6
This is close to the one my dad has, which I think is a '60's vintage. I don't know if the later editions have as much cable machine stuff. It ain't cheap but it's worth it! Every kind of earthmoving machine is covered.

Looking good!. I know this is more of a proof-of-concept thing so maybe you've already considered this, but splitting the end of the stick into a "Y" and attaching each leg of the Y to the bucket would help the bucket fill rather than dirt piling up against the end of the stick.

Last edited by Jared; 02-02-2011 at 12:08 AM.