RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road
Default Dragline Rebuild

I thought this might be a good time to post my project. I built this dragline many years ago and it needs some work now so I guess this is a good time. It originally was powered by a computer power supply that a friend gave me and told me which wires to use to get the voltages I needed. After adding some components to help with the electrical noise from the motors it worked good for several years but now the P.S. will not turn on. It will be replaced with a linear P.S. for the hoist and swing. The swing motor is also not working and never has worked like I wanted it to so it will also be replaced.

I made the mechanical joy-sticks using old R/C car throttle resistors as a speed controller. Here is the drag control-
They are crude but they work.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Craftsman

Default Re: Dragline Rebuild

I have had this project started a long time (I work slow) and I'm not sure when it will be finished but I work a little every day. The drag controller will be replaced with a variac control that plugs into 110 v. ac. I will probably use the swing & hoist joystick that I made until I can get an electronic joystick. Starting the teardown-

The swing motor has already been removed in this picture-

Next I have to turn the base over and remove the bearings that hold the swing rotation plate. I am working on the new swing gearcase and I will post more later.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

I enjoy seeing the pictures! Keep em coming, fun to see the unit come apart and go back together.

Jim
Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Craftsman

Here is one for you jim- I found this old picture showing the original swing motor and drive.

This unit is big! The motor is really hi-RPM so I had to use a planetary and many more gears to get the RPM down. It also draws 3.5 amps and that is more than the model should use on all-3-functions. I am really struggling with the new gearcase but hopefully I can make it work-more later.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Very nice dragline Tom , been kicking around the idea of building one ,one of these days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Hey Tom there's a old dragline out from Tuscaloosa in Brookwood , last I heard it was being restored .The name of the dragline is Mr Tom found a few pics on the web , search for Drummonds mr tom dragline
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157 Bytes, 447 views)

Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Very nice dragline Tom , been kicking around the idea of building one ,one of these days.
Thanks pumptech-this is the 1st. construction model that I built. Didn't know anything about dragline then and have learned a little since. I think I could make a really nice one now if I were not so old.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Hey Tom there's a old dragline out from Tuscaloosa in Brookwood , last I heard it was being restored .The name of the dragline is Mr Tom found a few pics on the web , search for Drummonds mr tom dragline
I think that dragline has been restored and moved. I drove down there twice to watch it cross the road. Missed it the 1st. time but got to see the crossing the 2nd. time but the weather was lousy. Here is-1-of the pictures I took-
Old 09-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Hey Tom, Nice to see you have been working at your hobby again. I like the control you built. I see what looks like small electrolyte capacitors ( I think) on the rear. What is all that about?
Let see some pictures of you swing gear box.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Yes indeed, good to see you tinkering again Tom.

Joe
Old 09-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Craftsman

Tom,

What is the size and composition of the angle iron use in the boom?

Jim
Old 09-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Hey Tom, Nice to see you have been working at your hobby again. I like the control you built. I see what looks like small electrolyte capacitors ( I think) on the rear. What is all that about?
Let see some pictures of you swing gear box.
Hi steve-I am trying to stay busy and this is what I like. That is capacitors on the controller. The computer P.S. would shut down as soon as I moved the sticks (electric motor noise) and the capacitors added in series (6-pcs.) solved the problem. I will post some pics. of the swing gear-case when I get further along. Now I am just trying to design something that will work in the space I have. I need lots of gear reduction and the gears I am trying to use are actually too big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Yes indeed, good to see you tinkering again Tom.
Lil giants joe-thanks-I would say tinkering is a good description of what I am doing . Just trying to stay active and I still really like the model building but find it very hard to do what I want to do.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Tom,

What is the size and composition of the angle iron use in the boom?

Jim
Jim-the material is .025" thick sheet metal (a.c. and heating duct material) and I bent it into 1/4"x1/4" angles for the main boom rails and 3/16"x3/16" for some of the bracing.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Craftsman

I found this double-shafted motor that I felt would be a good size for my swing drive and easy to add a flywheel-

The seller didn't know the RPM so I put together a quick test stand. I decided to use the square drive plastic gears from vex thinking they would save me some machining time. They work good for testing but are a bit large and take up a lot of space. I used these extra large gears to find the RPM of the motor-

The motor runs at 4950-5000 RPM on 12 volts. Now I have to make the swing gear-case that will reduce down to approx. 9 RPM and the swing gear and pinion will reduce it to 1.5-1.6 RPM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Craftsman

This segment is lesson #1 in what NOT TO DO!!! I had some small sprockets and I decided to make my own swing gear to match the pitch. I had to make it in-4- pcs. because at the time I didn't have a pcs. of alum. that big. After a lot of machining I got it to work but it is a bit "jerky". and not smooth at all. So now I have ordered the proper gear and pinion and while I am waiting I can work on the swing gear-case. Lesson learned-

More later-
Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Craftsman

Still very interesting to look at! What exactly do you think made it not smooth? Pitch not perfectly matched? Not enough teeth?

Very nice looking, keep the updates coming!

Jim
Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Craftsman

Jim-the pitch is good. The sides of the teeth on the main gear are not cut on the correct angle. I had no way to do that. I think that is causing the jerky motion since the pinion is not engaging smoothly as it rotates. The way this model is designed I cannot use a larger main gear. The one I have ordered is a 32-p-128T x 24T and I hope that will solve the problem. The swing gear-case is driving me nuts but I will keep working at it.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Craftsman

I have some work done on the swing assembly. I got the holes drilled and reamed so that is the critical part. I still have a little milling to do on the plates and another set-up on the other-6-bushings.-

I probably didn't save any work by using the square drive parts. I tried running the square shafts in nylon and brass bushings but the drag was way to much and caused the motor to lag and draw to much current. I had to get a 4-jaw chuck and turn round ends on the .125" shafts and now they work really smooth. This is the gears I have to pack into these frames to get the pinion speed down to 9-RPM.-

I am still waiting on the pinion and swing gear and also a 1/4" shaft for the pinion. I'm getting closer.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Craftsman

That is a bunch of gears, huh? I'm sure you have already considered a low rpm gear motor? Going to be cool getting all those gears turning!

Jim
Old 09-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
That is a bunch of gears, huh? I'm sure you have already considered a low rpm gear motor? Going to be cool getting all those gears turning!

Jim
Your right jim-it took awhile to work this out but I think I got it. Here is a couple of pictures showing all the gears in place-

The 1/4" bushing is for the pinion shaft and that will be another reduction. I would consider this a low rpm motor -5000 rpm-12v. but a gear-motor will not work. It would start & stop instantly and that would cause the bucket to swing side to side. That is why I use a flywheel. It starts slowly and smoothly and does the same when stopping. I probably would not need the flywheel with an electronic speed controller but for now this will work.