RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

A small update for the Hayes. I got a hold of some lights from Wayne last night so I couldn't resist installing them today! Of course this snowballed into more work as it always does....

I made up a steering wheel out of a ring of pipe. I put it in the chuck on my rotary table and milled it round then made up the center. Once it was glued together i decided to polish it. This is more of an inside joke with a long time friend of mine than anything else but i think it looks cool even if it isn't realistic. Next time i pop the cab off i will finish the interior...

Thanks for looking!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I have added a few more details to the Hayes this week. I lined the box floor with wood, painted the shutters white(a detail I had missed on the original 1-1 trucks), and made up and polished a visor for it.

Reg
Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Nice finishing touches, Reg. Was it standard practice to mount the spare tire to the cab protector? Seems like it would be a pain in the butt to get down from there, unless you just dumped the box. By the way, what tires are those?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Nate. I guess it is pretty important to have a spare when you are driving on ruff, rock and gravel roads out in the middle of no where. There isn't really anywhere else to put it that isn't in the way of something else. I agree that it would be a major pain in butt to access the tire when it's 8 or 10 feet off the ground. I guess the worst part would be getting it back up there! Inconvenient or not, that's where most of them were stored.

The tires are from China but I bought them through RC4WD. Lot's of other internet places sell them too though. They fit the bill OK for this although I wish they didn't have the metric measurements on the side.

Reg
Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

To take it down just flip it of or into the box and out the gate . To put it back , ( 1 reason me back is not all that great anymore ) lift body up with gate open chain tire to gate as tight as possible lower body and manhandle the beach in and flip up on head board . Now for coal buckets forgedaboutit call the tire man

What's with the planking in the body ? Rock dampening ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes the planks are just for rock protection. I don't want the floor of my box getting dented up when the other island boys are loading it this summer.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

Hey Reg.....I haven't been on here for a while...yikes....I see you finished another project...the truck looks GREAT!!! NICE JOB !!!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Yes the planks are just for rock protection. I don't want the floor of my box getting dented up when the other island boys are loading it this summer.
Hey Reg, I did that with my first 10 wheeler for hauling concrete, salvaged all the lumber from wasteful builder's! Had to take it out first time I hauled
"wet batch" And a new floor went in after that. Oh the good old days

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

With all these people building play areas I thought I should start working on something too. I roughed in a road with a shovel and then dressed it up with the 955K. Once that was done I hauled the first two loads with the little HD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNK...tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSOK...tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBMi...tJ-DusnO8Onw7A

Thanks for watching.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

read the whole thread.

Wow!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Say what? Shelf queen? Just messing with you, Reg. Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a liner for the box from more aluminum sheet. Something that could be easily replaceable. I kind of like that thought.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

These boxes are pretty strong Nate. If they get a dent just from loading material then the rest of the truck is in big trouble! The wood is mostly for show but it does make less noise when you drop in the first few scoops.

.....shelf queen....lol
Old 06-07-2014, 01:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Shelf queen.....well that's what I build.

Great videos, by the way. I enjoyed watching them. The Hayes looks really good and scale climbing around your new haul road. Especially with a lower camera angle. Awesome.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I finally got around to putting the last decals on this today! I think the outside is all finished up now unless I install lights. Sometime this winter I will add the interior details and call it done!

Old 08-07-2014, 04:22 AM
Apprentice

Grainfarmer is on a distinguished road

Whow...fantastic model! Great job!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Decals look good! Nice cap on a Top Shelf build!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys! I think it turned out well and it's a good tribute M&B. The next truck I build will be modeled after another past BC forestry giant but will be in the larger scale to match the KW.

Reg
Old 01-30-2015, 08:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

OK so I pointed out a cheaper alternative for something Mario wanted to buy. Mario bought said item and says "It works great and even has turbo!" This in turn pushes me off of the fence I've been sitting on for the last couple of months and this is the result... Thanks Buddy

http://youtu.be/Gon-9uTrRXc
Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

That's the best laugh I've had in awhile! I cost YOU 150 ?
We can bounce blame back and forth for as long as our wives need to hear it bud.
I think the sound is perfect for the Hayes! And congratulations on your first sound unit! Last time I checked your most modern sound unit you own probably cost 12.99 in 1980! but it's a real sweet sound and I still watch and listen to your Kenworth videos every now n then.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
That's the best laugh I've had in awhile! I cost YOU 150 ?
We can bounce blame back and forth for as long as our wives need to hear it bud.
I think the sound is perfect for the Hayes! And congratulations on your first sound unit! Last time I checked your most modern sound unit you own probably cost 12.99 in 1980! but it's a real sweet sound and I still watch and listen to your Kenworth videos every now n then.
Yep it's definitely your fault Mario... I told my wife it was a test to see if it was good enough for the other Hayes I'm building. Her response was "Well why is it going in this one then? Shouldn't you just test it and then set it aside until the other truck is done?" Of course she said all of this with a smile on her face because she knows I have issues and can't help it.lol I will be ordering another one shortly!....for the other Hayes of course...
I think the sound is great too. I used two of the small speakers I bought and wired them ++ --. This brought the ohms down to just over 6 for the pair. Individually they were around 10ohms even though they are rated at 8. The KW sound unit thingy doesn't work as nicely as the electronic stuff but I can't get over how well it actually worked out for what it is. My main concern now with it is the possibility of wearing it out. Those mechanical parts rubbing on each other won't last forever and if I buy a new twist grip it may not sound the same! That one nailed the 12V71, the next one might sound like a Harley!