RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Clubs/Groups and Events > South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association

South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association This is the place for the South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association to post their events and discussions.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Continuation of Clifford discussion.

about clifford guys just let me know if you will attend next year so i can tell the prez of my truck club who will be attending next year.for those who don't know about it just pm your e-mail and i can give you some info on it ,i go every year with my real kenworth and my little trucks ,and i get to invite whoever i want to come along with me.shawn ,mario,sue,mike and myself went last year the more the better,let me know ...thanks..and yes tmac you are welcome also...absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 kenworth View Post
about clifford guys just let me know if you will attend next year so i can tell the prez of my truck club who will be attending next year.for those who don't know about it just pm your e-mail and i can give you some info on it ,i go every year with my real kenworth and my little trucks ,and i get to invite whoever i want to come along with me.shawn ,mario,sue,mike and myself went last year the more the better,let me know ...thanks..and yes tmac you are welcome also...absolutely
Hey Dwayne...We will definitely be there again...Can't wait...

Hi there TMAC, glad to have you aboard, I am in the Ancaster area. sometimes we meet at the new ancaster fairgrounds just to mess around with the trucks for a few hours. Clifford is going to be awesome, but I really think we need to re-think what we are going to use for a course. This year was a good start, but the heat really played havoc with the wood in the afternoon. Any thoughts???

Okay and thanks Rev ! Glad to be aboard!
What kind of course did you have last year? Road? Or was it a construction site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV73 View Post
Hi there TMAC, glad to have you aboard, I am in the Ancaster area. sometimes we meet at the new ancaster fairgrounds just to mess around with the trucks for a few hours. Clifford is going to be awesome, but I really think we need to re-think what we are going to use for a course. This year was a good start, but the heat really played havoc with the wood in the afternoon. Any thoughts???
Hey Shawn. I still have to look into those clips I was telling you about to keep the plywood edges level. I also wonder if we had a substructure mounted to the bottom side of the boards.... Like a 1x3 along the edges and a few ribs down the center? The plywood did work well for the first part of the day, I don't think we should scrap the idea and try something else. We can be like engineers who never make mistakes, just revisions
Did you find a place to store the plywood or is it gone?

I can get old conveyor belting which works good to drive on, but it so heavy and awkward , it would be harder to set up than plywood. It's 1/2 inch thick and about 2 feet wide and gets real heavy real quick when rolling it up in 20 ft lengths

I'll see what I can find out bout the clips or find something lighter and easier to work with.

Mario

If it was a nice day no wetness what about particle board? (mdf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac View Post
If it was a nice day no wetness what about particle board? (mdf)
Hey, it's gonna be a beautiful day ! Think positive

Mdf would work but needs to be pretty thick and would weight more than the chipboard we used this year. The problem is the surface we are setting up on. It's thick , lush , healthy grass in a huge field. We need to use something thick enough to stay flat . Anything thin will conform to the uneven surface of the field and our roads will look like a baha off road track. . King of bling don't do baha tracks !

Keep the ideas coming tmac... We'll come up with something that works great!

Mario

1/2'' thick mdf is pretty heavy if i can remember, and for the set up last was it just a few sheets of plywood or did you guys set up like a little city/ construction site?

Mario, I deal with that conveyor belt quite a bit using it for runners in a horse barn and that stuff is garbage to deal with, there is no way we want to get involved in carting that stuff around, plus it weighs a ton and someone would have to get it there. the better idea is to secure strapping to the sides of the plywood, and we need to add to the course layout as well in my opinion.

tmac we painted roads on some plywood. it was pretty good, but by early afternoon it was becoming quite a bit dicey in some places. if you are a you tuber, search on clifford truck show and 1985kenworth (dwayne) has a bunch of videos that should show up in the results.

hey mike where you been hiding .sent you text messages ..no replies...if you look on youtube tmac my channel is 1985kenworth1 scroll down the first one is my growing fleet,click on my name and all of my videos will come up .i think there is 3 or 4 videos of clifford a few i have the camera mounted on my trailer so it is truck height.yes guys we have to come up with a better system for next year for a play area and remember the crowds will be looking forward to us running the trucks when night falls so they can see the lights.the prez loved our display and play area .he got a lot of feedback about it

Dwayne you better check if you had my number right in your phone..I haven't got any texts from you at all. I have been really busy this summer but not so busy that I wouldn't have replied!! I have been working on upgrading my KH quite a bit the last few weeks, installed light kit in the truck and trailer, and love it!! it really makes a huge difference!

@1985kenworth You gained a subscriber! And looked like a pretty fun little set up! Are you gonna bring that warehouse this year ? Hahaha

hey tmac ,yes i have one and shawn(civic83) has one also,we brought them last year,thanks for subscribing

Okaay sounds good ! And no problem love your videos btw

Quote:
Mario, I deal with that conveyor belt quite a bit using it for runners in a horse barn and that stuff is garbage to deal with, there is no way we want to get involved in carting that stuff around, plus it weighs a ton and someone would have to get it there. the better idea is to secure strapping to the sides of the plywood, and we need to add to the course layout as well in my opinion.
I know what you mean, that belting sucks. We use it to protect the concrete floor when track machines are brought it
I found the perfect solution for the plywood at Rona. It's an aluminum clip bout 2 inches wide and shaped like an H . Used in roofing, to support sheets of plywood in between rafters. I'll pick up a bunch, drill holes through the one side so they can be screwed in. Anyway, I need to know what thickness those sheets we used were?

Add to the layout is a good idea. I was also planning on making scale stop signs, speed limit, etc. drill a hole to size in the plywood and there ya go! It would also be nice to paint the shoulders of the road a grey or sandy brown. The depot area concrete gray ..... Ok, I could go on and on of course

I'm brining signage and clips ! Sorry too far away to help with the painting

Mario

I think this topic should probably be moved to the club thread instead now ?

Probobly haha, any of you guys got excavators or loaders ?

Not me. I earn a good living but not that good to afford one of them
I wish. I have a little loading dock forklift though ! Lol... Full RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac View Post
Probobly haha, any of you guys got excavators or loaders ?
Haha they sure will put a hole in the wallet, and more than likely need a lot of conving to your significent other. And what make/model ? The robbe one on rc4wd is good i hear

I agree, we should take this conversation to the swomta area of the site. I'm surprised one of the admins hasn't already done this!!! if they are watching, maybe they could move it for us!! wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

just go there now

Edit Note: I didn't quite do that transfer correctly, but know better for next time. The jist of your conversation is now in one place. My appologies for any inconviences.
Lil Giants
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Green Horn

REV73 is on a distinguished road
Default Continuation of Clifford discussion.

ok, so I guess this constitutes moving the thread???? I'm not really sure. btw Mario, who did you buy those rear hubs off of? and do they replace the wheel nut, or just push on over the top of them?? They look sweet.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM

tmac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Continuation of Clifford discussion.

Ill consider it moved sir.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ok, so I guess this constitutes moving the thread???? I'm not really sure. btw Mario, who did you buy those rear hubs off of? and do they replace the wheel nut, or just push on over the top of them?? They look sweet.
Hey Mike. Ya, better here. I realized we were chattin club stuff in the " welcome members " thread. sorry Tmac
Glad you like the hubs. I love them. They came with the trailer from rc4wd. Just a heads up, they make their own axles and the wheels don't have the same axle drive nut like tamiya. They won't work on anything but rc4wd axles.... Your talking bout my new lowboy trailer wheels right?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oh, and tmac. The forklift is just something I got on eBay for 30 bucks. It actually works pretty good . I'll have to make a video once I get some of sharkeys pallets.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 PM

oh okay! seems like it works good, the robbe one is around $500
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

these hub i got from rc4wd they come in a set of 4 and they replace the wheel nut ,they have a round wrench piece that fits over the head of it and you use your tamiya wrench that comes in the kits to put it on .i like them because they make the rear wheels look like they are real life axles,they are under the semi parts and they go for $29.99
Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Green Horn

mario, I was talking about the hubs on the king hauler. and Dwayne those look pretty sweet too! looks like I have a tough decision to make!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The truck wheels are from rcdamper on eBay. Wheel and cap. I think it was 40 bucks per axle. I bought lots from him, comes from hong kong in 9 days !
Other goodies like aluminum front axle and steer knuckles , aluminum rear suspension trailing arms. Along with aluminum cross members.

Mario

Last edited by Supermario; 09-14-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here's the link to his tamiya semi truck parts if you want.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Bargain-RC-TOY...=p4634.c0.m322
Old 09-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

So we been talking bout what type of surface to run on, bout changing or adding to the course layout....any ideas?
One thing I saw at Indy that was simple but effective was the elevated road . How bout a elevated road from one depot right down the middle of the set up, span over the center crossing road we had and back down to the other depot? Or the same elevated road running parallel with the main course and used as a staging area to get your rig onto the course ...almost like the RC racing guys do with the " pit area " ?

Just throwing things out there ideas?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Green Horn

an elevated pit lane idea is a good one, or at the least some sort of elevated roadway. it's just a matter of getting it built and transported to Clifford. it would be cool if there was someway to actually cover the entire course, but that would require a big tent and some additional manpower i'm sure.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ya, the tough part is transporting to Clifford or anywhere for that matter. Definitely would have to be built in such a way can be disassembled and reassembled easily. Could be done in 4 ft sections. 2 ramps and 2 elevated sections that all attach ?

Atleast we have all winter to figure something out.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM

How popular is this meet? Do alot of people show? And does anything like this happen at the toronto hobby show?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Green Horn

The clifford truck show itself is an antique truck show, we got involved because of dwayne's (1985 kenworth) being a member of the actual antique truck club, there were tons of people there and everyone loved our trucks. I thing if we could do something at the toronto hobby show that would be awesome. not sure if they are doing anything similar with the rc trucks, I haven't been there in quite a few years...how do we go about finding out if we could participate???
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Green Horn

Well I just went to the rc hobby show website and sent them a brief message asking if they would be interested in maybe having us participate. who all would be interested in going if they want us??? I would be in!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 PM

if i have a truck up and running by then i would be in. (been restoring a 1988 gmc k1500 every time i am about to order my truck i need parts for my pickemup)
Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Okaay thanks! And if anyone in southern ontario has any trucks for
Sale that arent posted here shoot me a pm
Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Green Horn

civic83 is on a distinguished road

What weekend is the toronto show? If its a Sunday I'm prolly in.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

give me a ring i might be in on that also,got a few new builds i am sure everyone will like if i get them done in time