RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:59 AM
Green Horn

Kausekaos is on a distinguished road
Default First Truck Build

Started building my first truck today. Grand Hualer on King Rails to fit one of Reg's boxes that came with the Mack R Dump I bought off Keith which I sold already lol. Got ahead of myself just wanted it to look like something until I finished while it sat. Still haven't build the trans. Was messing with the fenders just to see how they would look under the dump box. Going to drill hole in rails to mount them later this week. Still not sure if they will actually make the final cut.

Problem I see already is the stacks wont clear the part of the dump that covers the cab.

Couple pics

Already have a 2nd Grand coming tomorrow for another build I have planned, and it will stay on the longer rails. They are addictive. And I said only one lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kausekaos; 10-05-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Truck Build

Lookin good!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

that was a sweet mack you bought
Old 10-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy8305 View Post
that was a sweet mack you bought
Another member on here picked it up so it might surface again completed.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Green Horn

126happy is on a distinguished road

great start to your 1st build. cant wait to see it when your done.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Green Horn

Might change the plan again lol. Not sure. Thought about making this a daycab and getting in line for a dump trailer from Reg.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Green Horn

Decided to swap it back to the Grand Rails. Going to install a erc lift axle and wait for a new box from a certain someone. On vacation in a few weeks so I'll try my hands at closing off the back of the cab. I didn't know with the shapeways pete long nose hood and fenders you have to relocate the front axle. How hard is that? I was considering getting them.

Here it is on the King rails

Last edited by Kausekaos; 10-06-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:05 AM
Wannabe

Roundabout is on a distinguished road

nice looking truck. it's no problem to relocate the axle, you just move it forward on the suspension.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
nice looking truck. it's no problem to relocate the axle, you just move it forward on the suspension.
Do you have a picture for reference? I was looking at it but couldn't figure out how to move it.

Also as far a esc what should I use. I want lights and sound so didn't know if I should get a MFU or not.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Wannabe

go for the servonaut lights and sound it dosnt take up much room in your truck. or the beier sound module, ill post pics of my front axle set on a minute

Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Wannabe

You just Mount the axle In front of the pin on the suspension. First to pics are my largecar build, and the last three is my hay truck.
I'm uding the Pete hood from shapeway on the hay truck and verkerk lowprifile tyres.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Green Horn

I'll look into the servonaut lights and sound. The axle relocation doesn't look hard at all. I think I will try that and get the shapeways Pete Hood.

Right now I'm trying to close off the back of the Cab. I took the sleeper cover and cut it. I like the little rivets. I used the piece that I cut out of the middle to be the back support and put them in place and used tire glue to put them together. I used a blade to trim the things I didn't want. Now I need to fill all the holes and gaps. What putty stuff do you guys use. Found this nice little piece of plastic that is thick enough to be used for the rear window. If this doesn't work I'll use the top of the sleeper.

Here's some pics. My cut wasn't all that clean. Its a learning process, this is my first go around no laughs.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Green Horn

Body work stalled for now. Need tamiya white putty. Also ordered another sleeper back. Going to try to make two. One with a window and one w/o and see which comes out better. Also I need to order the hood and fenders. Already ordered the lights from garden and some other stuff. Still dont know which grill or front bumper to get yet. Dont know if I want to use the plastic Tamiya stuff since I also want to attempt a tilt hood for easy access.

Need advice as far as esc i was thinking a regular Tamiya one. I want sound like i stated before and turn signals too but dont know if I should just buy the Tamiya Unit. With that I dont need a esc right?

I was looking at the servanut and bieber sound units. With that I can use the esc but what do I use for light controls. I know there was a guy on rccrawler that made a light controller. Was thinking maybe that was the way to go. Also found a video on YouTube where I think someone on here used this. Just no reverse sound so I would have the same problem that Reg is having.
http://www.rcbrmin.com/114-rc-truck-...-l6-p-535.html

Also the current remote have is a 4 channel so I want to updgrade to a remote with more channels and different model memory. Must have enough channels for a Track loader. Going to be ordering one hopefully by the end of the month.

Any advice or recommendations? Sorry if my questions seem stupid never messed with sound and turn signals. Lights yeah but simple on and off, never working lights.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Green Horn

Besides this is there anything else I need to get to fill the gaps etc etc.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXRXX2&P=K

Old 10-16-2015, 11:28 PM

tamiya fan is on a distinguished road

The Tamiya putty is good for fine filler(like scratches, etc...) but you need bondo to fill the gap of the cut. I used "Evercoat" #100416 metal coat. (Ebay) A lot of people on the forum recommend this. I did the same thing with the back cover. For gluing the pieces and backers together use Tamiya glue (orange) or Plastistrut glue, works pretty well and welds the pieces together. Also fill in the gap as much as possible with bits of plastic possibly styrene and glue before bondo fill, gives a stronger joint and less possible crackage. There are right ups on this if you run a search on forum.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:34 AM

Hi again Kausekaos,
Just another thought, for the rear glass. The sheet you have in the picture looks thick? (hard to tell) Plastistrut also makes clear plastic thin sheet (styrene) that is easy to work with. Available at Tower also.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Green Horn

Ok cool. About to place a order with tower. Thanks.

Whats a good thickness to get for the Styrene to make and replace body panels?

Last edited by Kausekaos; 10-17-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:50 PM

About the same size as the body panels. I just measured the stuff I used (comes in sheets) and it is 1/16", but I think they measure it different? I would go thinner for clear window material. Just kind of study what's available. If your getting a new rear panel that's good, but the gap you have could be filled with styrene and the glue then bondo. I did mine the same way you did, had some larger gaps, and it worked for me. But trying to get it better with a new piece doesn't hurt either. Cut it out a little bigger so you can straight edge sand it straight after cutting. (just a little bigger, helps with gaps)

It's always a learning experience. Doing the back panel like you are works pretty well. (you have to put 2 notches in the bottom deck for panel to fit in) Hope this helps you out. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Green Horn

Yeah the new panel came yesterday but i also have a Aeromax coming Monday that I'm turning into a day cab. The Styrene comes in .030, .040, .060, .080 and .125. I don't know which one to get. The clear I've only seen in .010.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:47 AM

Here is what I looked up. Really close to these sizes. Only 1/8 = the exact decimal. A 1/16 = .0625, but close enough.

.030=1/32
.040=3/64
.060=1/16
.125=1/8

The .010 is thin but easier to cut and will work fine.(Exacto knife on this) Just don't paint the clear, for some reason (Tamiya spray paint any way) will have a reaction on the plastic and put a curve in it. I think you are doing fenders too, might be easier to go with thinner sheet so it will bend easier. I haven't done fenders before, so not sure. 1/16 inch is about the thickness of the back panel.

Also cut a backer support for the seem of the back panel, probably 1/4'" to3/8", glue it on the back of seam for strength. Don't have any pics.

Hope all this helps you out. Be creative build it the way you want and mistakes are part of it. Day cabs can be a pain mainly lack of room for all electronics, like MFC with all it's components, and where to put the battery. But people do it all the time.

One more thing, I noticed your were looking for KH exhaust stacks. Don't know if you got them but I got some from "Semi Joes Truck Shop" on Ebay. Or run a search with part #'s. Will take 3 separate parts to make this up, but sometimes people sell as a unit. Search internet, will show up from time to time. The mesh part hard to find sometimes. I had to order in 3 separate pieces and different places to get mine. Waiting and searching for weeks.

Have fun!