RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Body Shop Tech

Body Shop Tech Body mods and tricks of the trade and painting tricks here.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 PM

JamesBC is on a distinguished road
Default Day Cab

I decided to make a day cab and did what most do is cut the sleeper off and fill in with styrene. Then when searching for Air Bag systems came across Exclusive RC system with rear window and passenger door window.

Now nothing wrong with it, but the back of the cab looks a little smooth.

So an order was placed with Exclusive for the windows and back panel, and the back panel I had placed in was cut out.

Now stupid me thought the 12.00 US(that is about 24 Canadian LOL) was probably a cast panel with rivets. NOPE, NO RIVETS.

Ok, lines where drawn and started drilling holes. I used Ticky Train's .050 Rivets which looked about right to me. On second look, I think their .040 would have been closer. I used the number 67 drill bit to drill the holes.

Once all the holes where drilled and rivets inserted, I used a needle applicator with styrene glue and touched each rivet on the inside to make sure they would not fall out.

Chief Inspector had to check that all things where done correct, and that there where no loose wires to chew on.

Beside the rear window I had ordered the passenger door window. Only thing with it was to cut the opening. Since no idea was given where it was to go I just looked a pictures on the net and cut about where it looked like it went.

So what do I think of the window kit. It does come with glass cut that fit the frames fine, and drilling the holes and adding rivets didn't take as long as you think. I think the window frames are more than worth it, but maybe the back panel is a little expensive for a small piece of styrene with a hole cut in it. I say that mainly due to just buying a 2x4 foot piece of .060 thick stryene for 8.00 Canadian.

Now just have to wait for Ric at PMD to get me the two sets of frame rails I have on order. Then will have to decide what to put the cab on....
Old 05-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Day Cab

looks good. i ordered one but it never showed up.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

Like your helper
Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Nice work. I guess it took a while to drill all those tiny holes...

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:19 PM

jjackso5 is on a distinguished road

James, nice job on the Day-cab. Looks great and the QC inspector must have been please, no bite marks in the bodywork. Did you just buy the cab to make the day cab or do you have the complete kit, then deciding how to build the style truck you really want?

Looks great though keep the build thread going.

I appreciate the rivet idea too.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 PM

JamesBC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackso5 View Post
James, nice job on the Day-cab. Looks great and the QC inspector must have been please, no bite marks in the bodywork. Did you just buy the cab to make the day cab or do you have the complete kit, then deciding how to build the style truck you really want?

Looks great though keep the build thread going.

I appreciate the rivet idea too.

Thank you.

Jim
Thanks Everyone

Jack, I bought the Cab with all items, tanks ect ect. Had an idea what I wanted to build, just need lots more time. Wanted the rig to have all wheel drive so waiting on frame rails and another rear axle from WTBCar who has the slowest shipping of anywhere. He says airmail, I think that might be the name of the container ship.