RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Get it out of your system! HERE!

Get it out of your system! HERE! You have a gripe,bone to pick, Tamiya vs Wedico or just have to let it out! THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE TO DO IT!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default The chain has been broken

I love this forum. I was born and raised on this forum since the start of my RC addiction back in 2011. I remember looking at all the amazing builds people shared. It gave me the motivation and confidence that I could do it too with the awsome support from the group.
Once I started building of course I wanted to carry on the tradition and share with others the things I'd built and learned. of course that's why we are here on this site, wanting to share and keep the chain going.

It sucks! Countless RC biographys up till now is gone! It's like the Louvre of RC burned to the ground!

I for one am not going to try and rebuild threads, it's a mute point. Best thing to do is restart new threads and be bigger and better.

Im in for the long run, no rats on this ship!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The chain has been broken

I hope we can figure out a way to save this place. I'm very sad that things have gone the way the have. It appears my 3300 pictures will stay for another 11 months or so because I had a Photobucket "plus" account prior to their recent changes. Sadly after that my pics will be gone just like the thousands that have already gone the way of the dodo bird over the last few days. Like you said Mario, there is no realistic way of reposting all of them. Years of work on forums, blogs ect all over the net has gone down the drain thanks to corporate greed. Let's come up with a new program and get things going again!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:57 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

It was a sad day today reading our home and discovered FGD's stuff is gone, something this place can never get back....... as he was the one that started it, a great friend to many, along with being a GREAT builder......

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Guys,

I'm not sure understand completely. Is Photobucket shutting down? I have all my pic link on pb and they are still there, but when I checked (iPad) they want to update the software which is never a good sign...

I'm here or on my own, I still come here almost daily to see what's new, this is the only place I post my stuff, other than videos on yt, which I link here.

Jim
Old 07-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Photobucket changed their policy overnight with no prior hint of what was to come. So now instead of being able to link pictures to 3rd party sites (like here) for free they want like $400 a year for that ability. So every person who has posted pictures here from photobucket would have to shell out the cash. I am a member of a whole bunch of forums and they are all suffering the same way.

Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Craftsman

I understand. I'm in favor of figuring out how to save RCTruck. I don't have much to offer in that regard but if I'm not here, I probably would only post the occasional build or playing video on YouTube.

Edit: oh, I thought I checked but I guess not. I went to one of my threads and saw all the please pay us thumbnails in place of all my photos! Man, they are gona get a huge backlash from this don't you think?

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 07-12-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I use imageshack and pay once a year for unlimited storage. Can't recall how much but no way near $400
Old 07-12-2017, 04:48 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I've been doing some research the last couple days about forum hosting pics, asking other forum owners that do allow forum photo uploads... the $400/yr photobucket is charging now looks pretty cheap in comparison!

A rough guess, all the photos that have been lost here with photobucket, if all of them were hosted here, the cost could be near as high as 10x photobucket's current rate... and who's gonna pay for that???!!!

A possible route is to set up your own website to upload photos & 3rd party link from there to here... which I have discovered some members here are already doing that. Perhaps they'll chime in with links & cost & how to go about it.

Or go with another FREE image host to 3rd party link, ride the wave to it flat lines & then start over again somewhere else.

There's no easy quick cheap fix out of this mess.

Joe
Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Green Horn

bigdogrod is on a distinguished road

f u photobucket... godaddy all the way. that's where my pics are. not free, but pretty cheap. can somebody grab all FGD's pics before they are gone?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Freddy was hosted through photobucket instead of his own forum?

How do you go through them to find anything? Their search is useless, if you can even get enough ads to go away long enough to type something.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Craftsman

Is there a way to start a short/simp,e thread with reasonable solutions to the problem? Maybe a list of alternate hosting sites and steps we can use to rebuild the broken links? Is fixing the broken links even possible, since we can't edit an old post?

For right now, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to download all my photos off photo butt ....

Jim
Old 07-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

There are a couple threads in General that go into parts of it.

Log into photobucket, pull it up in serveral browser tabs/windows so you can run several folders at once.
Go in to a folder, on the right column there's a 'Download album' link.
That pops up a thing which asks something and compresses all the album pics into a zip file.
Eventually it pops another message saying it's 'ready to download'.
Save that to your computer.
Check that pics actually are good (i can't get 1 of my folders to have pics)
Make another back up to another drive or cloud or something.

Now you've got to pick a better host, or go buy a server or domain so you can do your own thing.
Flickr
Imgur
Instagram
Dropbox
Tinypic
Seem to be the common and popular ones.

Truely 'Fixing' won't work without edit, it'll be like your nylint crane build thread jim. Several pages where pics should be, with text and replies to stuff we can't see, then a big photo dump post with the newly hosted pics.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
I love this forum. I was born and raised on this forum since the start of my RC addiction back in 2011. I remember looking at all the amazing builds people shared. It gave me the motivation and confidence that I could do it too with the awsome support from the group.
Once I started building of course I wanted to carry on the tradition and share with others the things I'd built and learned. of course that's why we are here on this site, wanting to share and keep the chain going.

It sucks! Countless RC biographys up till now is gone! It's like the Louvre of RC burned to the ground!

I for one am not going to try and rebuild threads, it's a mute point. Best thing to do is restart new threads and be bigger and better.

Im in for the long run, no rats on this ship!
Indeed. Best off starting fresh with another free image upload website. Another option would be to register a domain name and host it but I'm not sure members would be willing to go that route as there are free alternatives. Getting your own website can be costly depending on the hosting package you choose to go with.

I've been using these guys for the last couple months without issue
https://postimages.org/
Old 07-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind photobucket was one of the first sites to offer this service free for awhile. I'm thankful for that.
History teaches us that the other photo sites which are currently free now will end up charging a fee like the pioneer/leader Photobucket.
I would hate to use flicker (or another site) and end up in the same situation as now down the line.
Perhaps using a private server to upload the photos kinda like how modell-baustelle.de does with our own wetseal logo might be a more permanent fix?
Old 08-06-2017, 11:53 PM

Nikaem is on a distinguished road

the whole photo bucket ransome is why I did the archive project all that info is safe on my home computer which if interested I can email to other people free I only wish I had done more but even that took months of work and even getting remove from some sites this will have a definite impact on the hobby
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 AM
Craftsman

Can we have a quick poll of what photo sharing site people have switched to? I loaded the google photo app on my iPad but I don't see the thumbnail photo in my test thread and I'm not sure the link is actually public?

I really like seeing the photo or at least a thumbnail vs a link.

I want to figure this out and move on with my hobby...

Jim
Old 08-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I've been using Image shack since the beginning.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Can we have a quick poll of what photo sharing site people have switched to? I loaded the google photo app on my iPad but I don't see the thumbnail photo in my test thread and I'm not sure the link is actually public?

I really like seeing the photo or at least a thumbnail vs a link.

I want to figure this out and move on with my hobby...

Jim
I have been using Flickr for many years and it works great.

Kerst
Old 09-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

They came out with a fix for this for FireFox and Chrome

Extension to fix the hotlinking issue in Photobucket, It's not needed to pay with this extension, the images will continue loading.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...=cb-dl-created
Old 09-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: The chain has been broken

Good Find Rakthi. Here is one for Chrome too. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en

Last edited by Bo Wallen; 09-10-2017 at 07:18 PM.