RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Clubs/Groups and Events > South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association

South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association This is the place for the South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association to post their events and discussions.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: clifford show roadway project

I've heard them called H-clips and sheathing clips, although there are probably other names for them.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Green Horn

Goose19 is on a distinguished road

what about building a table type set up out of 2x4s? something to get it off the ground?

I wasnt at clifford last year. I hope to get out this year. how big was the area?

I could probably get a sheet or 2 of plywood, make it into a truck stop or something.

I have a 1/2 ton and access to a few different trailers (1:1 scale lol) if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Green Horn

civic83 is on a distinguished road

the layout was about 64x20 if i remember correctly? a table would be out of the question I would think. im pretty sure it was 8 sheets of plywood long but cant remeber the width for sure
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

[/QUOTE]

I count 8 sheets X 4 sheets. So if we add to that we need to go 8X6 sheets would be ideal. Which means we need another 8 sheets at least or minimum of 6.
I keep forgetting to go to Rona and check on those clips
For sure this weekend!

Mario
Old 02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic83 View Post
the layout was about 64x20 if i remember correctly? a table would be out of the question I would think. im pretty sure it was 8 sheets of plywood long but cant remeber the width for sure
sorry, not a table, just a 2x4 frame under neath the plywood to make it a bit more rigid, and allow it to be leveled out some with shims or whatever may be available. so if each member could get together a sheet of ply wood and 3 8ft 2x4s, (2 lengthwise and one cut in half, to make 2 across) there'd be a pretty decent roadway layed out.

just an idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

Heck...

Even 2x2's would be enough. You just put the 'stiffener' joints in the middle of each sheet of ply.

When I made my game table (BattleTech) I used 2x4's, and placed heavy door hinges at the corners so I could easily dis-assemble the beast. Thats another option, square-frame each 'section', wait until ya get to the meet, then mount the hinges to 'mate' the stiffened sections.

And I agree, a full trestle invites too much movement if bumped, and trucks going 'Off the Edge of the Earth' so to speak. But just an underframe would definately eliminate that warpage.

Sealing the boards might help too, as I'd bet that was caused by the moisture of the grass/ground under them, and the heat/sunlight above.

Just some idle observations,
WhiteWolf

PS: when/where is this show? Its not in the thread...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

This show is called the great lakes classic truck and car show.its huge and put on by the actual truck club i am a member of with my real kenworth.i talked to the prez when i joined 2 years ago and mentioned that i build and run r/c trucks i sent him a few pictures and like alot of folks he never knew they existed.he asked me to bring one of mine to a meet and greet at another members house.i did and the camera phones were going off like crazy.i told him i know some other guys that have the trucks also and would it be okay to invite them to the show.he said it would be okay just let him know who is coming as they charge admission to get in.and i would need to be there so the guys would get in free if they were coming to join in the mini truck show within the show.if any of you can and want to come out and run your stuff please let ME know in advance so i can let the club know about you.they enjoyed this last year so much that the prez would like to have us back again this year and possibly every year there after..the show is held every july 1st weekend,there is camping allowed on site and some local hotels give great rates because of the show.it is held in clifford ontario,a small little one horse town and the folks welcome us because they like to see all of the trucks and the fact that we behave when we are in their town

Last edited by 1985 kenworth; 02-15-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

The area that he chose to give us puts us smack in the middle of the park that way everyone can find us. The area is all grass with a little uneven spots i mean after all its a park.the area we were in last year will probably be where we will be again this year. Its not too bad but i think the biggest issue here is the boards were curling up from the heat.you have to expect that because its cheap pressed wood which is exactly what it says...pieces of wood pressed together.i think if we all chipped in got some plywood and a decent way to join them we would have no problems this year.that and keeping off of them or if you need to walk on it..pick the middle of the board and not at the weakest part which is the joints.plywood is very stiff and strong and a solid thickness which will give the clips/screws something to bite into and it will be thick enough to withstand warping from the heat.thats my opinion. Laying it out on the ground will be fine. Any uneven spots under it will be fine because plywood is stiff and its only our trucks running on it and the plywood will stay rigid.if we are going to do this we need to plan the layout and get together a few weekends soon as weather gets good and build it.if we spend alittle bit of money and do it right. I am sure we can reuse it over and over again not just for clifford but for all of the venues that we attend
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Green Horn

Ok, so who all is willing to go in on the cost? I know I am (to a point, funds are not unlimited lol), what about doing a design layout and each member is responsible for a certain area?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm willing to chip in some cash for sure. I plan on bringing a couple sheets for the gravel pit area I have in mind but I really don't want to haul a truckload of plywood 1,000 km So a little more cash donation is better for me.
Put me down for $75.
If 6 people chip in 50 each, that 300 will go along way for along time as Dwayne mentioned. Pay once, enjoy many times

Come on guys, there are a lot more people on this forum who live within reasonable range of this event than there was last year. I would consider it a disappointment if we don't have more than 6 attend

I don't want to sound like I'm putting a price tag on donation expectations either. The 50 dollar thing was just a number. Anything to help the cause but only what a person can spare helps.

This year, Susan and I plan on booking extra days off, drive down a day early, and camp out at the fairgrounds. Making a camping , RC show kinda trip...lol
Looking forward to seeing you guys again and lots of new faces

Mario
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Green Horn

REV73 is on a distinguished road

shawn the problem I see with your idea of each taking a piece and completing it is that if the project is not done at the same time with everyone who can attend actually being there, the likelihood of the parts all meshing and looking decent are in my opinion slim to none. I agree that we do need some decent plywood for starters and would be willing to chip in some cash, as always we would be able to set up a work bee at the fairgrounds like we did last year that way we could have it either indoors or outside depending on the weather. thoughts???
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Green Horn

ya we should set something up REV, ill chip in for sure, looks like im unable to attend this year tho, my brothers planned his wedding for that weekend
Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
ya we should set something up REV, ill chip in for sure, looks like im unable to attend this year tho, my brothers planned his wedding for that weekend
Obviously your brother don't like Rc trucks eh?

Sorry to hear Shawn, won't be the same without ya man
I was looking forward to showing you our new toys

Well, that settles it. Your just going to have to make plans for the Indy show

Mario
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Green Horn

when is Indy? I'd have to get a passport!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Quote:
when is Indy? I'd have to get a passport!
August
Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Green Horn

http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5006

what about that set up? make the road more cost effective. could add scenery/roadside stuff at a later date.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose19 View Post
http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5006

what about that set up? make the road more cost effective. could add scenery/roadside stuff at a later date.
Ive seen this one and yes, it would be great stuff at home in the back yard or on gravel but the grass at the location is very healthy and very thick

that brings up a good question.... if we could cut the grass prior to set up would help provide a better base? I dont think the fairground would mind if we did eh? lol

Mario
Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Ive seen this one and yes, it would be great stuff at home in the back yard or on gravel but the grass at the location is very healthy and very thick

that brings up a good question.... if we could cut the grass prior to set up would help provide a better base? I dont think the fairground would mind if we did eh? lol

Mario
if you work at a CAT dealer....... can you bring a roller? LOL

Old 03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

For the cross-border travellers attending meets:

For us Canucks that are gonna travel south (like to Indy) on the ground, it seems all we need is this 'Extended Driver's Licence' thing. Cheaper and easier to get than a passport, apparently, and good for any ground transport. Check it out.

Mebbe you guys have something similar from your side of the 49th?

WhiteWolf
Old 03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf McBride View Post
For the cross-border travellers attending meets:

For us Canucks that are gonna travel south (like to Indy) on the ground, it seems all we need is this 'Extended Driver's Licence' thing. Cheaper and easier to get than a passport, apparently, and good for any ground transport. Check it out.

Mebbe you guys have something similar from your side of the 49th?

WhiteWolf
thats only (at the moment) in the state of florida. anywhere else all is good