RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
I wish I had a father-in-law that knew how to machine stuff like that swiss cheese plate, Reg!

The drums on the axles really add a lot. Looking good.
Yeah it is nice to have his help every now and then especially when it comes to tooling. He has helped me out a lot by giving me stuff out of his toolbox. We haven't spent much time on the machinery together though which is mostly my fault. He has offered but our schedules don't work out all that often and I'm really pig headed and want to figure stuff out on my own(usually the wrong way). I know that I'm weird but I like to be by myself a lot haha! He might come over this weekend though to help me build another hydraulic pump so that will be cool if he can... I need to finish the 630D....

Reg
Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Wow Reg its coming along quite nicely. Axles look great! Keep up the awesome work!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I know that I'm weird but I like to be by myself a lot haha!
Reg
HAH! that's funny! I can relate, I greatly dislike ppl noise too.

Joe
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I spent a little time here and there over the last few days and managed to get the rear suspension done. The leaves need some prettying up but I will do that later on when I finish the axles. I made up my own link bars and TIG'd them together. I then pressed the pins and rubber bushings(hose) in. It seems to flex nicely but not an unrealistic amount. At least I was finally able to see it roll back and forth on it's axles! Now comes the tricky part...finishing the gear train!

Thanks for looking!

http://youtu.be/LS6eurJgOYY

Reg

Last edited by RCP57; 02-28-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road

Very very nice I luv it man that thing is big
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Hmmm, I'm seriously gonna have to consider getting a tig welder... no way could I ever mig such parts together like your link bars without destroying them. Great Show again Reg.

Joe
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Reg you have done some very nice work here keep it up. Ed
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

The suspension detail is amazing! Don't know if I'd have the nerve to try making axle housings - but your results are really great. Yes, it is a good feeling to roll it around - just got the motor and driveshafts finished on my Payhauler - another step forward.

Enjoying your build immensely.

Ken
Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Always amazed on how well you tig weld all of your parts. Keep it coming.
Making the rears sure looks great.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM

catmack is on a distinguished road

Reg,

Looks great, what material are you using for the axles?....and I noticed you pressed bushings in, are they bronze impregnated? I probably overlooked those posts. I like the custom stuff like this. Keep up the fine work. Colin
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

This is a one-of-a-kind rig! A lot of rigs claim to be "custom", but this is as true to that as you can get! Excellent work, I can't wait to see more!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Reg, looks like you're working full time with model building, when not checking forum every day, I have to go back a page on your tread to see what's happend since last time.
Those axle bars looks very good, with that rubber inside it's just like the real ones.

Quote:
Dan, Here is a picture of the plate that my father-inlaw made for me. It has an MT2 taper on the back to center it and is held down with 3 T nuts-allen bolts. I asked him last night if could make me a larger one sometime so hopefully he will. It would be nice to have a little more surface area.
Thanks for that pic, will do one, looks handy!
Dan

Last edited by D8R; 03-02-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Once again, nice work Reg! The radius and torque rods look good. Question though....is there supposed to be one more rod, running parallel with the axle, that ties into the chassis frame rail? I've never seen a Kenworth like this, so maybe they don't have them? I'm not sure of the proper term for a rod like that, but I think they call panhard bars in the rock crawling world. The truck is looking great! Standing on it's own feet.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhog View Post
Very very nice I luv it man that thing is big
Thank you very much...yes it is BIG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Hmmm, I'm seriously gonna have to consider getting a tig welder... no way could I ever mig such parts together like your link bars without destroying them. Great Show again Reg.
Thanks Joe, I would say that TIG is great for our hobby. With a little practice even a guy like me can turn out some decent stuff and there is virtually no fumes and never any sparks/spatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Reg you have done some very nice work here keep it up. Ed
Thanks Ed, complements like yours keep me motivated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycuda View Post
The suspension detail is amazing! Don't know if I'd have the nerve to try making axle housings - but your results are really great. Yes, it is a good feeling to roll it around - just got the motor and driveshafts finished on my Payhauler - another step forward.

Enjoying your build immensely.

Ken
Thanks Ken!....so where are the pics of your Payhauler????? I love that build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Always amazed on how well you tig weld all of your parts. Keep it coming.
Making the rears sure looks great.
Thanks very much. It makes me think that I'm doing something right when someone like yourself is impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmack View Post
Reg,

Looks great, what material are you using for the axles?....and I noticed you pressed bushings in, are they bronze impregnated? I probably overlooked those posts. I like the custom stuff like this. Keep up the fine work. Colin
The axles are made from cold rolled steel, the housings are aluminum. Yes the bushings on the inside are bronze oilite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigger View Post
This is a one-of-a-kind rig! A lot of rigs claim to be "custom", but this is as true to that as you can get! Excellent work, I can't wait to see more!
Thanks, No matter what hobby I have pursued in life I have always rathered to build versus buy. Partly because I have yet to win the lottery...Ah, who am I kidding if I won I would buy more machinery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Reg, looks like you're working full time with model building, when not checking forum every day, I have to go back a page on your tread to see what's happend since last time.
Those axle bars looks very good, with that rubber inside it's just like the real ones.

Thanks for that pic, will do one, looks handy!
Dan
Yes Dan I have been pretty much working on this full time(ten hours today). I'm obsessed at the moment! I'm going back to work finally next week so I have been pushing myself to get as much done as possible!

Quote:
Once again, nice work Reg! The radius and torque rods look good. Question though....is there supposed to be one more rod, running parallel with the axle, that ties into the chassis frame rail? I've never seen a Kenworth like this, so maybe they don't have them? I'm not sure of the proper term for a rod like that, but I think they call panhard bars in the rock crawling world. The truck is looking great! Standing on it's own feet.
Nate Thanks! These trucks don't have a panhard bar. The earlier trucks(848-early 849) with underslung springs did have them but appearently they had too many roll overs so Kenworth went to a different suspension setup(the same as Hayes and Pacific) with overslung springs. I guess the spring pack is enough to keep the axles centered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, Todays update... well actaully it's been a couple days. I FINALLY almost have the front diff finished. I need to weld the gears to the shafts and do a little more prettying up to the housing but it works. I have started the rear diff too but I'm still waiting on the ring and pinion....AND MY MILL DIED! I'm not sure what happened. I shut it off because I was done for the day, then I changed my mind and decided to drill another hole(this is just like riding a motocross bike, never say just one more lap cause thats always when you crash hard). I flipped on the master switch and nothing happened. It seems like there is a blown fuse or something. No magic smoke escaped and there is power to the mill. Anyone have any ideas? BF30???

I didn't take many pics of the process....but here is a little vid of it spinning...

http://youtu.be/Wrq2KidK3JA

Reg
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Oh man, Reg, after seeing your axle in this mostly completed state, I think I'm just going to throw in the towl with my build! That looks awesome.

Sorry about the mill giving you problems. I guess if you have digital multi-meter, you need to see if you have in coming power first, and if you have some fuses, you need to check that they are good. Just pull the fuse and do a continuity check - meter set to ohms. Not to familiar with your mill. Does it have a speed controller? Maybe you just have a bad push button or switch?

In anycase get it going so you can continue with this incredible build!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Oh man, Reg, after seeing your axle in this mostly completed state, I think I'm just going to throw in the towl with my build! That looks awesome.

Sorry about the mill giving you problems. I guess if you have digital multi-meter, you need to see if you have in coming power first, and if you have some fuses, you need to check that they are good. Just pull the fuse and do a continuity check - meter set to ohms. Not to familiar with your mill. Does it have a speed controller? Maybe you just have a bad push button or switch?

In anycase get it going so you can continue with this incredible build!
I don't think you need to throw in any towels. Unless you want to throw them my way for when I cry myself to sleep knowing that my mill died. It has a brushed motor with variable speed. Power is getting to the switch but I'm not sure about anything beyond that. I read in the manual that it has a fuse but it doesn't say where it is. It just tells you to have it serviced by a tech. It still has over a years warranty on it so I won't go too crazy until I speak to the dealer. It probably won't be anything simple knowing my luck but I have my fingers crossed.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Great Job Reg that's exactly what I'm doing with my truck rears but in a smaller scale . you ware the mill out already ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 AM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

That looks nice!

Kerst
Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Reg very nice work on the rears like I said before this a real scratch build. Ed
Old 03-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I found the fuses and they were blown so I drove around town until I found a place that had them(Sunday sucks for buying obscure stuff). I came home and put them in, turned on the main switch and everything lit up. I then turned the emergency stop switch...still good. Hit the green button and pop, bye bye fuses. I guess something has fried in the board. Hopefully I will hear back from the dealer tomorrow.