RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:29 AM

DaBomb6988 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Impressive metal work!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Thanks DaBomb,

I've been putting around here and there on the bunks and stakes. I managed to get both of them spring loaded now I just need to make the cables and cinches...and the rollers that follow the turntable and.....

Last edited by RCP57; 03-23-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

That's really nice work, Reg. You are the best welder on this site, I think! So is a trailer in the works too? Errr, or do they call it the rear dolly for a timber hauling set-up like this?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
That's really nice work, Reg. You are the best welder on this site, I think! So is a trailer in the works too? Errr, or do they call it the rear dolly for a timber hauling set-up like this?
Wow thanks Nate! Yes there will be a log hauling trailer and a lowbed. I will build the log hauler first. I have a few parts built for it already and I just received some factory drawings from a friend of mine last week for it. The only real stumbling block right now is the tires... I guess I will have to break down and order them real soon!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got the bunk rollers ruffed in. Now I have to make the cinches for the cables that hold the stakes up while loaded.

Thanks for looking

Old 03-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Finished up the cinches on both bunks and got the cables on the front one. It doesn't look as scale as I would have liked but that's the way it goes sometimes I guess. At least they function properly!

Reg
Old 03-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Lovin' the details! Not much else to say.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

This has been really interesting for me to watch, Reg. I work around highway log trucks but the big off-road trucks are non-existent around here. Used to be in the '60's and '70's when there was still old-growth and the hauls were short. The turntable and the hitch on this truck are new on me and I'm sure there will be more. Add to that your skill and speed with aluminum or whatever you yourself want to call it and this is a great build.
Will there be cutting edges on the bunks for the logs to grab on to so you don't strip the load?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for following along Jared. I hadn't really planned on doing the cutting edges but now that you mentioned it I think I will. The material is thick enough to mill a little off in the middle creating them on the edges of the bunk.
I had enough pipe left to make 5 more rims so I did that today. I also welded the turntable to the frame and mounted the front fenders. After that I took it out for a test drive with the body on. I guess I shouldn't have been driving it up steep slopes and loading the motor heavy because it fried the esc. The esc is only rated at 8.4v and I'm running 12v so I'm not too shocked that it didn't last. I guess I went backward $60 there so that sucks...

Please ignore the rubber bands and twist tie.lol

Reg
Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Check out m-Tronics speed controls - no frills - but some are rated for massive input and huge amperage. Hardly any bec though. They are used mainly for boating but are a beast with power.

http://www.mtroniks.net/category.asp...Industrial.htm
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Wow, Reg she's a beauty. It's going to be a shame to put any paint on it. How about chrome. To bad about the esc, I fried a saber tooth too and don't have a clue what happened. What wall thickness did the rim tubing have to start with? Nice job in the bunk and turn table. How Long's the reach going to be on the trailer, by the looks of it you'll be carrying six foot logs!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for the link Izzy. I like the boat ones because they never have delays, brakes or anything fancy. The esc seems to be fine if you hook up a separate battery for the receiver. I guess the servo fried the bec part of it. I bought a hexfly servo because of it's torque per cost but it is a piece of ****. The first one I got was junk out of the package and this one has overloaded the bec in the speed control. I ordered some Hitec stuff this morning to hopefully rectify the problem.

The pipe that I'm using for the rims is .270 thick. I have to turn it down fairly thin on the beads but it seems to work OK, just takes a while to machine. Still much faster and cheaper than machining round stock. I'll have to get a bit more of it so that I can make three more wheels.

If my calculations are correct the logs will be 40"-50" long. I may have to do the carpet roll with bark trick. I swear I've seen that somewhere before. I will cut some real logs though too. I'm guessing it will be an all cedar load though to keep it light. The truck is a beast, I'm thinking it is around 30lbs without the trailer or a load.

Thanks for the comments! Reg
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lovin' the outdoor photos of the truck in the raw state! It's a looker, that's for sure. Beautiful craftsmanship Reg.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Speechless!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Nice Elk.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Looking nice in the outdoor pics. Question about the bars rear of bunk, they will not restrict movement on bunk?? Guess bunk can be turned around quite much in tight curves.
Dan
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Haha, I can't take any credit for the elk. I found it in an old hunting camp in northern BC. I guess who ever shot it thought that is wasn't worth keeping but I thought it was cool. To get it home we had to store it on the bed in our camper each day and even though it was really old it still stunk. The misses was not nearly as impressed with it as I was....It works great for hanging my bandsaw blades on. I guess it's just a good thing that the picture is blurry or the thing hanging to the left would get me in trouble on here.

The bars on the back don't stop the bunk from turning 360 but the rollers wouldn't make contact if you turned that sharp. You can almost jack knife the truck without the bunk leaving the turntable though.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I spy a nice epidermis, lol!
Cheers, Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Haha, I can't take any credit for the elk. I found it in an old hunting camp in northern BC. I guess who ever shot it thought that is wasn't worth keeping but I thought it was cool. To get it home we had to store it on the bed in our camper each day and even though it was really old it still stunk. The misses was not nearly as impressed with it as I was....It works great for hanging my bandsaw blades on. I guess it's just a good thing that the picture is blurry or the thing hanging to the left would get me in trouble on here.

The bars on the back don't stop the bunk from turning 360 but the rollers wouldn't make contact if you turned that sharp. You can almost jack knife the truck without the bunk leaving the turntable though.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
It works great for hanging my bandsaw blades on. I guess it's just a good thing that the picture is blurry or the thing hanging to the left would get me in trouble on here.
What? What's wrong with hanging a welding helmet on the wall?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hahaha yeah, yeah....helmet...that's what I meant....