RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

Thanks! A small update. I have spent a while fiddling around to get things at the right height and fitting properly but haven't made many new parts yet. I did manage to add some small details though. Next will be mounting the cab to the chassis. The hood now rests on the rad and cowl as it should and will lift off for battery changes just like it does on my KW850.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

looking good! that will be a stout looking truck. do you tac weld the cab parts together? how do you keep it from warping with such thin metal?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
looking good! that will be a stout looking truck. do you tac weld the cab parts together? how do you keep it from warping with such thin metal?
Yes I tack the parts together in a few places along the seem first. You have to be very careful with the amount of heat you apply as you are welding though or it will still warp badly or melt a big hole in a hurry. This material is 0.050 thick, my other models bodies are all made from 0.063 which is easier to weld but harder to shape. Either way, fitment of the parts before welding makes a huge difference. The tighter the gaps are, the easier it is to weld.

Reg
Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Green Horn

Mikeo78 is on a distinguished road

Wow. Very impressive. Great job on the metal work. Seems like a shame to paint it! Lol
Old 03-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I made a little progress with the driveline today. I didn't want to use a stock trans because it is so bulky and high geared. My attempted solution was to buy a cordless screwdriver and tear it apart. The one I bought came from Walmart and was only $10. It is a nice little planetary setup and seems to have enough power to spin all 8 tires on my bench with a few pounds of weight on them. I made up a little mount for the drive itself and bolted it into the frame. I used the 1/4" hex coupling, slotting it with a diamond wheel to allow fitment of the stock driveshaft. If it all works out I will have plenty of room for batteries and electronics under the hood...

http://youtu.be/121Yo9JeOnY

Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

Hi Reg that was a great idea. I saw it on You Tube and it looks like it fills the bill. Ed
Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Ed. Only time will tell if it holds up but I think it will work out fine. It is easy to swap out so for $10 I will buy another as a spare just in case. After joining the other island boys at the show in Campbell River I figured that a slow truck was way better than a fast one. Being set up on tables is just fine but a little bit of a concern when your truck doesn't like going really slow! My KH has an 85 turn motor with an 11t pinion and it is still way too fast to ever use 3rd gear. At shows we are always in a confined area so there isn't much need for a big, bulky 3 speed. This drive should have an output speed at the axles of around 120rpm at 7.2v. It looks to be just a little slower than my KH in first gear.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Wow Reg this truck is incredible! Do you use filler rod all the time on the thin stuff? Years ago I played around with TIG and could fuse weld thin stuff but could never seem to do well when adding filler rod.
Thanks for the drive idea with $10 Walmart screw driver, I've had one on my bench for 2 months in the package to power a screw drive. I finally took it out of the package to see how it did at building a set of frame rails last night. Surprisingly it worked well in its original form.

Keep up the great work you always do! It's fun to watch!

Kent
Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo78 View Post
Wow. Very impressive. Great job on the metal work. Seems like a shame to paint it! Lol
That is a very common statement with Reg's metal work. We all thought it was a shame to paint the 850 also!. It just shows how great his metalwork is. We paint things to hide the raw state. This stuff has nothing to hide, leave it raw!

Mario
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Wow Reg this truck is incredible! Do you use filler rod all the time on the thin stuff? Years ago I played around with TIG and could fuse weld thin stuff but could never seem to do well when adding filler rod.
Thanks for the drive idea with $10 Walmart screw driver, I've had one on my bench for 2 months in the package to power a screw drive. I finally took it out of the package to see how it did at building a set of frame rails last night. Surprisingly it worked well in its original form.

Keep up the great work you always do! It's fun to watch!

Kent
Haha, I bought two screwdrivers(one has two speeds) not knowing which one would go on to serve another purpose. I ended up using the $10 one because it had a little more rpm. Now I think I will keep the more expensive, 2 speed one for installing screws....until I need it for something else that is

I sue filler rod quite a bit but not always. It really depends on the joint but it always seems to be stronger when I use filler rod even if it gets ground off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
That is a very common statement with Reg's metal work. We all thought it was a shame to paint the 850 also!. It just shows how great his metalwork is. We paint things to hide the raw state. This stuff has nothing to hide, leave it raw!

Mario
If it wasn't for gluing on detail stuff, I was contemplating polishing the cab... I really liked my 850 in it's raw state too but once it was painted it looked like the real deal to me...I even thought I could smell bark chips from the log sort once while looking at it(losing my mind, I know). The Hayes will get some paint. I just haven't decided which logging company colors and logo will be on it. Kind of a shame in a way though because I am proud of my skills with aluminum and most people assume that it is just plastic once painted...

Reg
Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I made some more realistic looking front wheels today in between other projects. They are 2 piece aluminum and bead blasted. Now I have to make the rears when time permits. I also ordered some more aggressive tires today.

\

Reg
Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I think I see how you did the two piece wheel, quite ingenius.

The center needs to be welded in yet? Did the center start out as a piece of flat bar?

The stock tires, do you have a vertical bandsaw? Cross cut the face of the tire using the hashmarks on the sidewalls for spacing... that improves their traction immensely.

Joe
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I think I see how you did the two piece wheel, quite ingenius.

The center needs to be welded in yet? Did the center start out as a piece of flat bar?

The stock tires, do you have a vertical bandsaw? Cross cut the face of the tire using the hashmarks on the sidewalls for spacing... that improves their traction immensely.
I started out with a piece of pipe for the rim. It was nice that the pipe was the right size for a change. For the 850 I had to use schedule 80 and turn it down. A much longer process...

I used my rotary table mounted horizontal to machine the grooves in the rims. I have never done this before as I have always used the lathe with a parting tool. Using the rotary table was WAY faster!...lesson learned!
Yes the centers started out as 1/2 flat bar that I cut into rough circles. I then put them in the lathe and center drilled them to install a bolt. Once bolted together I held the bolt in the chuck and turned them to size. Press fit...

Then back to the mill and rotary table to machine the oval holes using a ball mill.

Once that was done I pressed and glued them together. Then it was back to the lathe to machine out the backside of the assembled wheel.

After finishing that, I gave them a pretty aggressive bead blast to remove the burrs that were left behind after machining.

Last but not least I flipped up the rotary table and drilled the bolt circle.

Next process will be making the hubs for mounting the rims to the axles. Then onto the rears!

Wow, what a process...no wonder that took a few hours!

I will have to try the tire trick some day. I have ordered new ones for this project because I wanted the increase in height as well as a more off road looking tread.

Reg

Last edited by RCP57; 03-25-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

Well Reg for all that work, you can reap the rewards of some awesome looking wheels! They definently fit the bill for this build
Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Well Reg for all that work, you can reap the rewards of some awesome looking wheels! They definently fit the bill for this build
Well thanks, I thought I would give it a shot and I think they turned out OK. Now I just have to make the rears, the hubs, and a spare...
Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I got started on the front hubs this afternoon. I still have to make the dust caps and the spare. Then I can make the centers for the rear rims. I used 2-56 bolts as studs. I wish I had more scale sized nuts to hold the wheels on but these will do unless I find something else.

Thanks for looking
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 AM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

Sweeet! Looks really good
Old 03-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

Hi Reg Have you tried Micro Fasteners 2-56 nuts they have small pattern nuts HNBS0256 1/8 across the flats or standard 3/16 across the flats
Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
Hi Reg Have you tried Micro Fasteners 2-56 nuts they have small pattern nuts HNBS0256 1/8 across the flats or standard 3/16 across the flats
Awesome! Thanks. I will check that out because I was planning to order from them again soon. It's funny how certain suppliers carry different things. I found a local place that has really good prices on the M3 screws I use ($4-5 per 100) but when I asked about stuff smaller than 4-40 with a hex head they didn't have a supplier for them. Micro Fasteners has been really nice to deal with and they have a good selection but their prices are a bit steep. The last order I made from them was around $70US for a bunch of metric stuff. I made the same order through Raider Hansen in Victoria and it was less than $30CAD. Live and learn to shop around but if someone has it but others don't and you need it, you have to buy it good deal or not!lol

Thanks again for the info!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

Awesome work and details!
Basic question, how do you tap for the 2-56 screws? I tried to tap threads in aluminum but broke the tap. I was going by hand, and almost wonder if using the lathe would be better.