RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Get it out of your system! HERE!

Get it out of your system! HERE! You have a gripe,bone to pick, Tamiya vs Wedico or just have to let it out! THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE TO DO IT!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Finster's Avatar
Finster Finster is offline
Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 387
Finster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Cool! Now I have my next project planned out. A copy of Zeus! Totally kidding! Sorry couldn't resist!

But Seriously, I agree with ya 100%. I must admit that I am hesitant to post projects because some of the members here are so skilled. That is not a negative comment directed at any of other board members, it's my hang up because I wish my building skills were better. Also, I'm not around equipment or trucks like some who do it for a living so I just dread what might happen since I don't know standards, practices, like basic industry knowledge or stuff that comes from experience. Example: painting DOT numbers on a truck but having it pointed out that they are wrong for the class of truck or state or whatever, because I don't know what the system is. I've also put off projects because others on the board have done them and I don't want to appear that I am just coping other members work. I will do them someday probably but I feel I should try to put my own spin on them or at least a good bit of time between builds.

It's shame but there will always be people who will want to "compete" with you or try to tear you down if only to raise themselves up. Just gotta take the bad with the good, I guess or ignore them and concentrate on the good comments/people. Btw, I just want to say that I should comment more on peoples builds but I don't because I don't want to seem just like a cheerleader or that I'm trying to raise my post count. So if I haven't said 'good job' or 'nice', if I've read your post just know that I'm sure I thought something like that. To be honest I haven't seen a single bad build on this board or the garden when it was up...
__________________
Brian
Finster shavin' and smokin' a cigar?!?!

Last edited by Finster; 05-30-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: poor english skills
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Wiskybilt Wiskybilt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 111
Wiskybilt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Zues sure is a nice ride 85. I'm still partial to the tattered look though. 💀
__________________
Life: it's all about the ride!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-30-2015, 09:06 PM
1985 kenworth's Avatar
1985 kenworth 1985 kenworth is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: brampton,ontario,canada
Posts: 1,844
1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain Jack View Post
Only stupid people will criticize some ones build. We all go to the forum to see great trucks, workmanship, paint job, technical ideas. It inspires as and drives forward the appetite to build and become better at what we do. Looking back at early models: how proud we where, hey, I built a truck and painted it my self.... Now, few years later we ourselves can see all the imperfections in workmanship and say:"boy did I post it for everyone to see?...how embarrassing". But that's what learning is about,to better ourselves,to stride towards perfection. Our builds are our baby's.So, Dwayne, if someone doesn't like your baby. Screw HIM.!
yes jack i finally did think that
__________________
owner/operator.."got to operate to own"
dwayne
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-30-2015, 09:07 PM
1985 kenworth's Avatar
1985 kenworth 1985 kenworth is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: brampton,ontario,canada
Posts: 1,844
1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car5858 View Post
I think the builds are all great, I look at them and think of ways I can use the ideas for what I am building. Some things I would do differently due to money, time and health constraints, but the important part is the doing. We are always our own worst critic. This is where our pride comes into play. Not everyone's pride gets in the way and we actually learn something.

So this is what I have to say to the nay Sayers, When your health and ability starts to fail your pride, remember that we are here for the enjoyment of the hobby that we love.

We do what we can when we can.
could not have said it any better my friend
__________________
owner/operator.."got to operate to own"
dwayne
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 PM
1985 kenworth's Avatar
1985 kenworth 1985 kenworth is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: brampton,ontario,canada
Posts: 1,844
1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaf343 View Post
Dwayne, Wayne and Brian. I couldn't agree more. It seems the more effort you put into building something that you like the more people want to chew it apart or in some cases not give it any opinion at all. I joined this forum because I love building trucks more and wanted to learn from the masters like you guys and more on how they did there stuff and hopefully be good enough to offer help to some of the new builders that are starting out. I think I like building more than keeping them or playing with them. Some of my builds are good some are not so good but I enjoy all of them. This is supposed to a supportive " we're all in it together community type Forum" and unfortunately some guys ruin for the rest. My .02
yes they do but it has not deterred me
__________________
owner/operator.."got to operate to own"
dwayne
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-30-2015, 09:19 PM
1985 kenworth's Avatar
1985 kenworth 1985 kenworth is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: brampton,ontario,canada
Posts: 1,844
1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusive RC View Post
Unfortunately, its the nature of the beast.... I too being a proud rivet counter am all about the detail and how things should be.... Idk about everyone else but I wasnt born knowing these things, it took some time to craft my skill. Some ppl will get there and some wont... constructive criticism is always appreciated and expected. The problem is when you do good work the only ones complaining are the jealous ones or the ones who cant do what you do.... With that being said its sad to say but the only real way to keep your stuff from getting copied is to just not post it at all for the world to see.... The min you post it up anywhere online it then becones the whole worlds business, it sucks but its the risk of dealing with the world wide web..... As far as the negativity goes you just have to learn to ignore them.... it works best and makes them even more MAD
i do ignore them and have for the past 2 years on this build but at the same time when you post stuff up to show or whatever because without posts there would be no forums people should be respectable about it ,i should not have to be defending my build or what i did or didn't do to anybody except myself .you should be able to post what you want just like if a lady goes out dressed nice does not mean she is looking for a guy and should not be pestered by such
__________________
owner/operator.."got to operate to own"
dwayne
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-30-2015, 09:20 PM
1985 kenworth's Avatar
1985 kenworth 1985 kenworth is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: brampton,ontario,canada
Posts: 1,844
1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock View Post
One will generally bump into grown-up people with 'kindergarden mentality' now and then, naturally at these forums too. I feel these people are just a small minority, so just ignore them totally, is my best advice. If one goes out there and proclaim 'this is my latest build, and it is a 100% correct replica', naturally it will be a magnet for some people examine everything and try finding mistakes. If one does not proclaim something like that a all, only silly people will start a 'competition' and publically criticize details they mean is wrong..This is a hobby too most of us, and it is much a matter of time how detailed one choose to build. Someone want to spend 10 years perfectioning a model, others choose to built 10 models in 10 years, the most important thing is have a good time and enjoy!
you are right good times and fun ,unfortunately it takes all kinds to make this world turn i guess..
__________________
owner/operator.."got to operate to own"
dwayne
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-30-2015, 09:26 PM
1985 kenworth's Avatar
1985 kenworth 1985 kenworth is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: brampton,ontario,canada
Posts: 1,844
1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
Cool! Now I have my next project planned out. A copy of Zeus! Totally kidding! Sorry couldn't resist!

But Seriously, I agree with ya 100%. I must admit that I am hesitant to post projects because some of the members here are so skilled. That is not a negative comment directed at any of other board members, it's my hang up because I wish my building skills were better. Also, I'm not around equipment or trucks like some who do it for a living so I just dread what might happen since I don't know standards, practices, like basic industry knowledge or stuff that comes from experience. Example: painting DOT numbers on a truck but having it pointed out that they are wrong for the class of truck or state or whatever, because I don't know what the system is. I've also put off projects because others on the board have done them and I don't want to appear that I am just coping other members work. I will do them someday probably but I feel I should try to put my own spin on them or at least a good bit of time between builds.

It's shame but there will always be people who will want to "compete" with you or try to tear you down if only to raise themselves up. Just gotta take the bad with the good, I guess or ignore them and concentrate on the good comments/people. Btw, I just want to say that I should comment more on peoples builds but I don't because I don't want to seem just like a cheerleader or that I'm trying to raise my post count. So if I haven't said 'good job' or 'nice', if I've read your post just know that I'm sure I thought something like that. To be honest I haven't seen a single bad build on this board or the garden when it was up...
Finster i get you man but really in all seriousness you should be posting and i have seen in some cases a certain truck or build be done by 3-4 different guys or gals and to be honest with you everyone interprets things differently therefore the build might be the same truck ,but built differently because you say tomato i say tomahto..lol and yes some of us are around trucks and equipment but that is another bonus for people on here..you get to ask first hand experienced people for advice on doing things you or anybody is not familiar with
__________________
owner/operator.."got to operate to own"
dwayne
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-30-2015, 09:48 PM
andyathome andyathome is offline
Wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pokeno New Zealand
Posts: 384
andyathome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

I agree with" nothing nice to say shut your mouth"
Ive been attempting to build construction type toys for a few years now with my kids.
having had no real life experiences with the real things this forum has been a great inspiration for ideas on how things are made and how they work.
the same goes for programing these techo radios, ive also installed in my kids , if you dont know how to do something ask the question after you have had a go..
I have learnt so much just by asking a dumb question on this forum after ive messed up, and have had so much positive help that has helped solve my problems.
by knocking someone it takes the wind out of their sails and they may drop the hobby but by encouraging them they may become a master piece maker that will inspire others.
a few harsh words can be damaging , so for the knockers.....
IF YOU CAN DO BETTER SHOW US OR SHUT UP.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Cooper's Avatar
Cooper Cooper is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Watsontown, Pa
Posts: 1,966
Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Guess. I chime in here too, ya know the saying, don't hate the player hate the game, I honestly think the ones with the loudest voices of criticism are the ones with the most jealousy. Kind of like my local police force, a little bit of power now making up for all the a$$ kicking they got in high school,, it's not right but we all have to deal with the consequences. After I was 16 or so. I realized that the only person I need to impress was myself and if any of my peers complimented me or critiqued me then I knew it was for the better. And would only benifit from it. As far as the other jokers, who knows where they are now, passed up, passed on , or just passed, don't know and don't care. I actually like the negative comments on the side of you can't do that as its a motivation to do that!! Nothing is impossible!! And like the past posts, a quiet voice usually hurts those idiots the most!! Let um think what they want, but reality is not parked in their garage!!!
__________________
Always wasting money, as the wife says.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 AM
Supermario's Avatar
Supermario Supermario is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sault Ste Marie
Posts: 2,039
Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

I'm really glad you started this discussion Dwayne but what I'm hearing also concerns me.
When people don't feel comfortable sharing their work with others that's bad for the hobby and bad for the forum. Never feel intimidated by a master of the hobby. It is their talents that elevate the hobby and inspire the rest of us to join in the fun. I accept the fact I don't have the talent to do what they do but enjoy doing the best that I can and be happy with the end results.
When I started getting into the construction equipment I was reluctant to share because of all the other guys who have way better stuff than me but realized although I don't have the best equipment or most detailed , what I do have I love and very proud of what I've managed to create over the last few years.

Long story short, please, I encourage everyone who has a build they want to share, Do it ! Don't let the critics or better builds stop you! The moment we stop sharing , everything we have here will slowly disappear
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-31-2015, 12:57 AM
TRUCKMAKER's Avatar
TRUCKMAKER TRUCKMAKER is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Laporte, Indiana USA
Posts: 1,608
TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
I'm really glad you started this discussion Dwayne but what I'm hearing also concerns me.
When people don't feel comfortable sharing their work with others that's bad for the hobby and bad for the forum. Never feel intimidated by a master of the hobby. It is their talents that elevate the hobby and inspire the rest of us to join in the fun. I accept the fact I don't have the talent to do what they do but enjoy doing the best that I can and be happy with the end results.
When I started getting into the construction equipment I was reluctant to share because of all the other guys who have way better stuff than me but realized although I don't have the best equipment or most detailed , what I do have I love and very proud of what I've managed to create over the last few years.

Long story short, please, I encourage everyone who has a build they want to share, Do it ! Don't let the critics or better builds stop you! The moment we stop sharing , everything we have here will slowly disappear


Well said Mario!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-31-2015, 01:38 AM
Joe25's Avatar
Joe25 Joe25 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 96
Joe25 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

If I can add my $0.02...
I've only been into the r/c thing for maybe 8-9 months, I've yet to be able to start my first build due to some family stuff. But it's this forum that got me interested. The builds on here are exceptional and the creativity simply astounds me.

My only experience in the "modeling world" is with aviation models I built them to escape, and I got to where I quit posting stuff because it always got picked apart... I was maybe 16 at the time so I quit building regularly...

I agree rivet counters have a place, but I agree with '85 no need to rip someone else's work.
__________________
Make peace or Die! 1st Bn 5th Marines
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 AM
ihbuilder's Avatar
ihbuilder ihbuilder is offline
Fabrication and design , super moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: in a cage in Auburn,PA
Posts: 3,571
ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

No offense to anyone posting here . I think you all take it to seriously (spelling ? ) what ppl say about your builds or someone else's . Who gives a F*** what some nitpickin duch thinks , they're the 1's makin an azz out of them selves . A hobby is for your own personal enjoyment , If someone feels the need to pick it apart , well that's what the 3rd finger is for use it


warning :
it's me birthday and puter acting like chit so, feeling especially diabolical today
__________________
RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-31-2015, 11:31 AM
Roundabout Roundabout is offline
Wannabe
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 337
Roundabout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

criticism good or bad is needed in this hobby, but when it takes form of jealousy and people starts picking builds apart to make them self and their own build look better it need to stop, i've been in it on and off for 10 years i've seen the level of modeling go from what we in Denmark call left hand work to work of excellent, i'm amazed of some of the builds there is made today, some of the builds make me want to hide my own trucks and never let them see the light of day again, I've learned alot over the years, but most important I learned if there is something you can't do, there is always someone who will help you, if there is something you're not doing the right way there is help to get on the different forums, but sadly I see less and less posting, only a few members posting build threads, almost no new members posting builds, one of the forums from Denmark I use, close to no new posts on it for a year, on the facebook group for our RC club there is not nearly the same posts that there used to be, but I know that there are a lot of trucks being build out there.
people need to start posting build threads again no matter what skill level it on, the more you build the better it gets, lets start building and helping eachother again, as it used to be in this hobby
__________________
Ren
____________________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

____________________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-31-2015, 01:21 PM
RCP57's Avatar
RCP57 RCP57 is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,633
RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
No offense to anyone posting here . I think you all take it to seriously (spelling ? ) what ppl say about your builds or someone else's . Who gives a F*** what some nitpickin duch thinks , they're the 1's makin an azz out of them selves . A hobby is for your own personal enjoyment , If someone feels the need to pick it apart , well that's what the 3rd finger is for use it


warning :
it's me birthday and puter acting like chit so, feeling especially diabolical today
Hahaha! SO TRUE!!!!! Everyone has their own expectations for their builds and right or wrong someone always feels they have the authority to judge the level of quality. Some build to play, some build to have beautiful shelf queens and some build a combination of the two. At the end of the day if you are building to the best of your ability and YOU are proud of it that's all that matters! Like Exclusive said, none of us were born knowing how to do this and we have all learned through our own trials and those of others. Some people have more of a knack for details than others but who cares. It's a HOBBY and is supposed to be fun! If other people don't like what/how you build then ignore them and keep posting pictures because the rest of us "non A holes" like to look at them!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-31-2015, 01:47 PM
1985 kenworth's Avatar
1985 kenworth 1985 kenworth is offline
Big Dawg On The Bone
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: brampton,ontario,canada
Posts: 1,844
1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

i totally agree with all of you but the point i am making is i normally let things slide but when i have somebody criticizing my build not only on one forum but on another that doesn't bother me like i said i am not petty like that, because i have always built what i like to build and really i don't give a #2 what anybody thinks because i am the one paying for it and at the end of the day its mine . but yet i look at theirs and may i add they have some simple inconsistencies with theirs that is nowhere near what the true one is but yet they claim to be a serious detailed builder and even copied something that i did because they did not know what to do and had the nerve to ask me on another forum then do it and tell others they came up with the idea ..lol too funny..like i said i am not here to compete with anybody ,but i am sure anyone of you guys or gals if someone was picking something apart that you built and they tried to build the same thing that was inconsisitent with the true build but i am pretty sure you would say something about it its been going on 3 years and this goof still picks at it .this goof i know is probably reading this right now and laughing to himself but it doesn't matter anymore because the very next time this idiot says anything about it again i will call his azz out on it
__________________
owner/operator.."got to operate to own"
dwayne
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-31-2015, 02:50 PM
steamer's Avatar
steamer steamer is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Comox,Vancouver Island B.C.
Posts: 554
steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

To Be honest with you some people just feed on the ability to get under your skin. Next time that happens shake you head and walk away!! Just like a bad smell with out rebuttal he'll eventually give up and go away himself!!!
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-31-2015, 04:17 PM
GjtBob GjtBob is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Derry, New Hampshire, U.S.A.
Posts: 68
GjtBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

Thank you for starting this thread 1985, it came at the EXACT time I needed to read/ hear these things, and the resulting replies, as I have been "stuck" with my trailer build. I had fallen into the, "I've gotta get this perfect or I'll come accross as an obvious newbie...", when all I really need to do, is build MY flatbed using the tools I have available, and the very limited knowledge I possess. I found myself trying to get results that the "masters" of the hobby get, when in fact I'm building my very first trailer.

I've posted pics of my Knight, and got nothing but positive replies, yet on my trailer work, I've been scared to post pics, because I didn't feel it worthy of showing. I now feel different, I know I'm doing the best I can, and in reality, my results thus far, look good to me, and since my eye is really the only one I should worry about pleasing, I'm going to keep moving on my build. I've learned lots, and have found many tips on this forum, and feel that it's ok to use the basic steps, but not copying any be specific build, I've come up with MY WAY of getting the desired result. Will my builds win a national award, doubtful, but that's not my intent. My intent is to build something I'm proud of, and something that gives ME pleasure.

I've read LOTS of threads, and replies here, and while I've seen many beautiful builds, not all of them are something I'd want, not because they're not beautiful works of art, but because they don't fit my particular style, but THATS what makes this hobby so great, we can all start with the exact same basic kits, and or parts, and each finish completely different builds.

I'm going back to my workbench, and I'm going to let my "fears" go, and I'm going to build the best trailer I can, and I'll do it to please me. So once again, THANK YOU for helping me get past my anxiety, and move forward with my build.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Lil Giants's Avatar
Lil Giants Lil Giants is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 4,005
Lil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant futureLil Giants has a brilliant future
Default Re: Criticizing peoples builds

The forum's lack of participation over the last few yrs or so is (imo) in large part b/c of the overall negativity in general... this forum seems to go through fits every so often about how expensive it can be... "why should something so small cost so much?!"

I don't work for minimum wage & I highly suspect the educated ppl who work with cnc machines, have the ability to do custom fabrication, &/or to organise kits or parts for sell, do either. They shouldn't anyway.

The "you could buy a real one for that!" comments are just retarded & don't do this hobby any good.

I know there's ppl out there with bigger collections than what I have with far more sophisticated models than what I run, but they won't participate on forums b/c they just don't want to wade through the drama of ppl judging them for what they spent.

So think about that before you run your mouth about what others choose of their own free will to spend. Not all of us have ready access to tools, materials & custom shops to build whatever we want.
__________________
Sharing knowledge is one thing that defies basic arithmetic logic --- the more you share, the more you get!

Joe
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.