RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 AM
Snowman3725

Default Servo humming

Any idea what would cause a servo to make a loud humming noise? I'll dig a little deeper for the specs, but it is used to open and close a dump body tailgate lock b
Old 12-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Servo humming

With out more info on how its set up, the first thing that I would check is the servo end point adjustment. It sounds like the servo is still try to move after the tailgate lock has stopped either opened or closed. The servo has to stop at the same point as your lock linkage in both directions or you'll burn the servo out. Hope that makes sense. I'd start there if that doesn't resolve it try a different servo.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Snowman3725

Thanks makes sense to me. It's on a battle switch. Would there be a trim adjustment to better center it?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

What radio are you using? If I understand this you have a battle switch connected to your receiver and the latch servo connected to the battle switch? If so, why?

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 12-15-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Snowman3725

Radio is an airtronics RDS 8000. I'm not sure if battle switch is the correct term. The switch is on the left upper side under the "retract gear" this is how I bought it from another member on here. What you originally said makes sense. It only hums when the latch is locked. The end point probably needs to be adjusted. Can this be done directly on the servo or does it have to be done with programming on the tx?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road

Test for 'servo binding' by removing the servo from the model and activating it as you normally would with it installed. If the humming goes away then something in your model/ linkage set up is restricting servo movement. If not resolved then your servo will burn out as noted by TRUCKMAKER.

You could move the connection point of your cable or rod closer to the servo horn center screw. Mechanically, this has the same effect on the linkage as reducing the servo end points and might be a simple way to solve a binding problem if you have limited options with trimming/ set up.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Snowman3725

Thanks guys, all great advice. I'll tinker with it in awhile and try some of your tips
Old 12-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Snowman3725

As expected that's exactly what the problem is, the servo is constantly under load because it cannot fully pivot. There's not any room for adjustment because the linkage rod bottoms out on the dump body. Is there any way to set the travel rotation of the servo within the radio programming? ( I have no experience in programming) I noticed the lift axle is whining a little bit to, it is switched to the left battle switch. Any good links for programming threads or how to's? Much appreciated gents!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:28 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Use the end point ajustments in your radio to limit the travel of the servo arm
Also what radio are you using ?

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Snowman3725

That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do Tracy, it's an Airtronics RDS 8000
Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Google airtronics rds8000 end point adjustment and there are a few videos on how to ajust the end points on the radio
Also google airtronics rds8000 manual

Cheers Tracy

Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 AM
Snowman3725

Well guys after googling around the manual, it's a rather simple process, and I got it to quiet down. So much quieter I thought I blew the servo. I actually did blow the servo. Dead as a door nail. Just my luck. Now I get to take it all apart and break some more stuff. Happy holidays!