RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:25 AM
Snowman3725

Default Dual motor controller

Looking for good recommendations on a dual motor controller. Something simple to use and reliable. Will be installed in a wedico 345
Old 02-27-2016, 02:45 AM

nenard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dual motor controller

Check out Dimension Engineering Sabertooth line. Ive use them in twin motored boats with no problems. They may have something you can use, Frank.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:24 AM
Snowman3725

Thanks Frank, I was checking them out earlier. Seems to be the one I need
Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Green Horn

rc13 is on a distinguished road

Hi, For me, it would depend on the type of machine and the type of radio. For my excavators (& I am assuming most people with excavators), I use sep. speed controls for each track. On the other hand, for my dozer and trackscavator, and snow groomers, I use a "dual motor controller" since you are constantly moving with those machines.
As for the excavator, you are not crawling much so having 2 sep speed controls are sufficient.
Now if you didn't have a radio with some sliders then you may need to set it up with a dual control for the tracks by using one of the sticks.
If you are good with mixing, you could mix the speed controls for each track to perform like a "dual motor controller"
As for the sabretooth. I use those in my snow groomers and they work great. Also they are very inexpensive compared to the Servonaut M220 that I use in my dozer and trackscavator.
Thanks, Eddie
Old 02-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Green Horn

mcl fabrication is on a distinguished road

I use 2 HPI 1/18th scale esc's. There very small and tuck away very nicely. I use them to run continuous rotating servo on my bruder trac-loader. only one problem I cant turn off the braking. Meaning it goes to brakes before reverse. I've been meaning to try one of the suggestions purposed to you by the other members.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Snowman3725

Thanks guys, never thought about using escs, makes sense to me. I ended up going with the saber tooth 2x12 because of its simplicity and ability to be configured. It has 6 dip switches and is compatible with lipo batteries. Eddie, I'm using a spektrum DX 18 specifically for its dual sliders for the tracks. I'll set up the 2x12 to run each motor individually. MCL I was reading the manual on the saber tooth and it says you can go full speed forward to full speed reverse without braking. It's also regenerative and will charge you battery when in reverse. Might be something you're looking for.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:28 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
Thanks guys, never thought about using escs, makes sense to me. I ended up going with the saber tooth 2x12 because of its simplicity and ability to be configured. It has 6 dip switches and is compatible with lipo batteries. Eddie, I'm using a spektrum DX 18 specifically for its dual sliders for the tracks. I'll set up the 2x12 to run each motor individually. MCL I was reading the manual on the saber tooth and it says you can go full speed forward to full speed reverse without braking. It's also regenerative and will charge you battery when in reverse. Might be something you're looking for.
Cool, sounds like that'll work out good for you. I have spectrum radios and love my DX 18's. Those sliders are perfect for excavator tracks.
That is very interesting about the batteries charging in reverse using that speak control. I did not know that they would do that.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2016, 02:20 AM
Snowman3725

I'm not entirely sure if it's when in reverse, or if when the motor spins against the direction of travel when going forward to stopping/reverse, like in newer train locomotives, or hybrid cars. If the motor is spinning with no power going to it, it reverses the electrical flow. Maybe like an alternator in a car too?
Old 02-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
I'm not entirely sure if it's when in reverse, or if when the motor spins against the direction of travel when going forward to stopping/reverse, like in newer train locomotives, or hybrid cars. If the motor is spinning with no power going to it, it reverses the electrical flow. Maybe like an alternator in a car too?
Here is a paragraph from the Robotmarket place website about the Sabertooth:

"Sabertooth is the first synchronous regenerative motor driver in its class. The regenerative topology means that your batteries get recharged whenever you command your robot to slow down or reverse. Sabertooth also allows you to make very fast stops and reverses - giving your vehicle a quick and nimble edge."

I can't imagine it will make that much of a re-charge for your excavator. Especially that we don't really crawl with them much.... But a cool feature..