RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Green Horn

Just_Build_It is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help I can't find 'em

I've been scouring the the Internet and can't find rectangular trailer marker lenses and light buckets. I know there are kits with 4 prewired rectangular lenses and that isn't what I'm looking for. I just need the lenses and if there's buckets for them that would be nice.

I need at least 30 of these lenses and buying packs of four pee write for $25 each isn't going to cut it.

If anybody has seen or knows where I can find them, I would be extremely thankful!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:07 PM

Hostile is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please Help I can't find 'em

Apart from the ones to suit a scania there isnt really any out there. Look on fleabay and there are rectangular leds about 20 usd for 1000. I did buy some for the same purpose but they seem too small. Id also have to file them down so they dont stick out too far. Ive decided not to bother with side markers as its now in the cbf/too hard basket for me.

On another note though, when i still had my fb account a member of one of the groups went to a plastics supplier and bought thin lengths of orange plastic. He then cut them down and filed the edges rounded. He carefully drilled a cavity in the middle of each so he can use clear round and they looked as close to perfect as ive ever seen.

Hope this helps mate
Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 PM
Green Horn

Thanks for the help, hostile. I had an assumption that would be the answer I was going to receive about the scania lights. I do however have 100 rectangle LEDs which I was going to use 2 side-by-side and that would've been perfect if I wasn't using aluminum that I can't machine aluminum that precise with basic hand tools.

I do like that idea of using plastic strip and shaving my own lenses and that way I could still use round LEDs and holes. I could probably try a go with acrylic I could pour into a mold if the plastic strips aren't doable on my own.

Since this trailer I'm building will be very unique, I'd rather not skip things or go the easy route. I'm young, retired, disabled and a homebody so projects like this keep my mind and body(hands mostly) in motion.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:14 AM

Hostile is on a distinguished road

Nice to hear brother. Let me know how you go. Id love to see the process and maybe emulate it if i can. Im sure alot of visitors would love to see it too.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Green Horn

I'm going to post as much as I can of the progress. I started wiring up round amber LEDs assuming I will be making lenses one way or another.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about making a steel pattern of the 2 square led light hole?
Maybe 1/8" or 1/4" thick stock, harden the steel quite a bit so your needle file doesn't bite. Make reference marks so you can line it up accurately. Drill, then double stick tape pattern on, file hole out to pattern edges.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Green Horn

Yea I have thought about using a file but never thought about using a steel pattern or a needle file. I really like that idea. It's definitely worth testing to see if I can achieve the desired result.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:18 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Have a look at small rectangle leds in clear and then using making tape to paint half clear red and orange or what ever colors you like and if they stick out to far space then from the inside, or buy tiny square ones and pair then up blacking out on one side...

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:20 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

There is a Aussie making the lenses for trailers in Amber,Red,Yellow and clear suits a 3mm LED

Cheers Tracy

Old 07-14-2017, 08:00 PM

tippa is on a distinguished road

hey cosset that would be me anyone interested can pm me