RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:23 PM

derailed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lookin for YOUR opinion!

good idea

lol
some people abuse the counter
its unfortunate
i think its ok for short posts, but constantly?.......no

glenn
Old 08-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Excuse me foe chiming in I did not say anything on or about the deal with the Garden but I think I will this time. What does a post count have to do with anything on this form. I thought we were going to act like Gentlemen now we are going to be cry babies. It going down the same road again. I try to make my post short and sweet not a novel. It seems there are still some people that need to grow up. Ed P.S. Was this long enough?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Jammer on this one. Lots of times all that is needed is "Nice truck" to make a builder know that you appreciate his work. Putting a count on the characters for the post to be accepted is bull in my opinion. Emails and PMs should be the way to ask ??? and give advise unless you are doing a tutorial for everyone to enjoy.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

Please don't start the forum out like this
i was a member of the garden for a couple of years and didn't post more than 30 posts the whole time
i am a member of scale4x4 and have been since 2008 and has less then 40 posts
the only thing a high post count means is that you can type
so please don't start on how many posts we need to be someone or how many letters your post needs to be worth anything
i have read posts of three words that are more meanfull than other posts that are two pages long that are worthless

wow lots of words for me lol
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Mustang is on a distinguished road

I agree with the last three posts. I really don't see what a post count has to do with anything. A person's one and only post might be just the info I needed or someone can post a thousand times and still not say much.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

*cough, cough* Probie.
lol

Freddy, I would see how it goes with a post count of say, 10 or 15? Then you could change it to accomodate the number of posts.

Trucker, standing by.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM

oldboy is on a distinguished road

I agree with Shorthaul zero count to post but minimum to add to count

John
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM

IDontKnow is on a distinguished road

I agree with the character count, and while compliments are nice to give and receive it does get a little annoying when you see a thread has new posts and all it is is one or two words. Sure I am interested in looking at the other boards where you need .... I think it was 30 posts ..... but I am prepared to do it responsibly and legitimately.
I mean were adults (well most of us problay are) lets behave like them
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM

wedicotrucker is on a distinguished road

post count realy dosnt mean much. If you have a high post count, that just means you spend more time typing than you do building.

On most of the forums I'm a member of (other than r/c) in order to have access to the b/s/t section you have to be a paying member of the forum.

There is also another membership for "sponsers" i.e. vendors.

My over all opinion is by having a limit on how many words are in a post could chase people away.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Please don't resort to a word or letter count. Many times all that is needed is a short-to-the point comment.......remember..... use the KISS method

Rob
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

I agree no character count.

Brian
Old 10-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road

I have to come down on the side of no character count because I think everyone appreciates receiving encouragement, even if it is brief. This results in people continuing to post substantive info. Haven't we all seen someone post something and then get discouraged if there are no subsequent posts acknowledging their work Of course it is not good if the reply post is abused but I would prefer to see those get dealt with on as needed basis. Like many things, I think granting discretion (in this case to post) should (in theory) work better than rigid mechanical rules.

Richard
Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Fireman700 is on a distinguished road

I know that this has probably been decided but I agree with the no character count on the posts. I also strongly support the fact that there needs to be a minimum number of posts prior to entering Buy/Sell/Trade as there are some who just want to get there to try and sell stuff and never contribute. While I am not currently a builder because of the lack of time, it is great to be able to see what others are doing and then tweak a built rig that I have through working with, talking to, or buying small things off each other.

Everything is a fine line to keep people from padding posts to quickly get to 10,15,20,25, or 30 because a smiley isn't a substantial post. It is a hard task that the board moderators will have to protect members, and maintain a forum that is fun and friendly
Old 11-26-2010, 03:27 AM

Longhair is on a distinguished road

I am sure that there is a way to show/hide post counts based on the group the person viewing is in. It would be done in the Control Panel settings and if it isn't standard by now, I am sure there is a modification/hack that someone has come up with.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

i am a person of few words.....i have learned to say as little as possible but make your words count.what difference dose it make how many words you use to make a point as long as you get your point across

that's just my opinion
Old 12-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Ok, I have been on a few forums and I don't think that anyone on any of the 3 forums i have been on can say that I don't contribute. I know how to use the forums but that is really it, I don't know how they work or any of that stuff. The first time I heard the term "Post *****" was while talking to Rick (Rogue) on the phone. I had commented on every thread that was listed on the "New Posts" tab.

I really have no idea what a "Post *****" is. I thought the reason for having a forum like this was to communicate between people of a like mind. When I see something I like, dislike, or want to know more about, I comment.

So please tell me what is the definition of a Post *****?

What does having a high post count do for you?

What is B/S/T?

I never gave any mind to how many posts I make. Like I said I see something I want to comment on then I do so. If I have something to share than I do so.

I personally have not ran into anything as of yet that I can not access on this forum. (am I missing something good, like a secret RC society, with rings and special chants)

I get much more enjoyment out of seeing a high "View" count on my threads than I do seeing any type of post count. To me the more people look at my work the better I feel about it. Regardless of the comments they make, or even if they don't make them.

For instance, if you look under the Highway trucks and trailer section as of yesterday anyway my thread for my build had the most views. That makes me happy because that means that people what to see what I am doing and what I am going to do next. If they comment then great, if not, well I can live with that, there are a few guy's that I think follow my build and take the time to comment. I appreciate all of them. They help me with their comments, even you JAMMER.

So in short I guess I would have to say that if a post count will keep me from going someplace on this forum then NO I would not agree with one.

As for the word count, well as I pointed out above even a "Nice Build" is appreciated. And the occasional "WOW" well hey I have done some things that are perfectly acknowledged with a simple "WOW". So I guess the word count thing would be a no as well.

Of course as I said if I had some idea of what all this stuff meant or did for someone than my mind could be changed.

I know I don't have to worry about the short messages coming from me because I can be long winded most times.

-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Losiassociated

I dont care how you do it Freddy,
I think the count is a stupid thing also.
Also I would like to give a idea too. How about people like myself and others with multi builds and what not make it one location and one space per person like a build thread but house all the builds in one location per person sorta like Tamiya Cowboy did in scale with all his builds in one spot.

Greg
Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

"POST *****" is someone who just posts to get a post count. Now over here we had a problem with a few members you would go into a section and see 15 threads that they posted in in a row and they were one or two word comments like "Nice" or "Sweet" or "WOW" just to raise there count so they could use the buy sell trade. Now over on scale your post count will build you a truck the more posts you make the better the truck is we were going to do that with semis but we backed out of the idea as we thought it just helped cause the problem. We want guys to comment but really say something and mean it..

Now Greg doing one thread for all builds.. I have done that in the past for 5 years on many boards and it really does not work well.. I normally have 2 to 3 builds going at one time as I get board on one and if they are all in the same thread it is very hard to up date and guys dont know what you are updating and when it really is sort of a mess the one way that way would work well is if a builder would have a section to there self but that too would be a mess in its self with the number of great builders out there the fourm would not be a community it would be a bunch of small community's in one large one.

Builders like you Greg that do many builds I dont call that 'POST WHORING" I just call that building and that is great your not just trying to run your numbers up you are just doing your thing building for the love of it and that is what it is all about..

TC..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Losiassociated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
"POST *****" is someone who just posts to get a post count. Now over here we had a problem with a few members you would go into a section and see 15 threads that they posted in in a row and they were one or two word comments like "Nice" or "Sweet" or "WOW" just to raise there count so they could use the buy sell trade. Now over on scale your post count will build you a truck the more posts you make the better the truck is we were going to do that with semis but we backed out of the idea as we thought it just helped cause the problem. We want guys to comment but really say something and mean it..

Now Greg doing one thread for all builds.. I have done that in the past for 5 years on many boards and it really does not work well.. I normally have 2 to 3 builds going at one time as I get board on one and if they are all in the same thread it is very hard to up date and guys dont know what you are updating and when it really is sort of a mess the one way that way would work well is if a builder would have a section to there self but that too would be a mess in its self with the number of great builders out there the fourm would not be a community it would be a bunch of small community's in one large one.

Builders like you Greg that do many builds I dont call that 'POST WHORING" I just call that building and that is great your not just trying to run your numbers up you are just doing your thing building for the love of it and that is what it is all about..

TC..
Well said,
I agree with you 100 % but I didn't relize the problem in doing it that way it looked so cool the way you could find all your build in one spot.

Greg
Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 AM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

One way to let people find your builds is put links to your build threads in your signature. I see this on lots of forums. If you like that poster, you can visit their threads.