RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Cascadia build.

So not much new. Still waiting on parts to continue and did more work to my trail truck. But did start to mock up and get one of the half fenders installed last night. I'm glad I did take the time to put the body panel on to see where it was going to sit. It also showed me that the quarter fenders from the knight hauler would be pretty useless but of course they showed up this morning in the mail. lol.

Once everything is installed I'll end up painting the brass pieces black and possibly chrome for the front one. I wanted to try and hide the front one but with it under the half fender I couldn't get it to sit right to look good with the body panel so on top it went. Doesn't really bother me. I think it looks good like this and the majority of half fenders are mounted like this on the real trucks anyways.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Hi mavrickO, are you modifying your side fairings? I don't know if its the fact that the picture doesn't show the front of the panel and steer axle but it looks like you have the left side panel mounted on the right side putting the front of the panel at the rear axle, it actually looks good that way. I am curious what it looks like at the front axle.
Can't wait to see it done, keep up the good work.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Green Horn

truckmaker thank you very much for pointing that out. I totally have the wrong side on. But in a way it was a good mistake and allowed me to line up the half fenders. lol. I know in my mind I was thinking the skirting was like the pic below and not the way Tamiya did it with it ending at the end of the bunk.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Your welcome, the fairing package in picture looks a lot better but they changed it on the 1:1 for the "new" Cascadias. Keep up the good work can't wait to see it done.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 AM

rctrucker2 is on a distinguished road

Mavrick0

I like the idea of adding the Knight Hauler quarter fenders to my Cascadia, especially since you indicated that the frame was already drilled for them. It appears from pictures that I have seen that there is enough room for them and the fairings would not touch them. Is this correct? If you think they would fit OK, I will order the parts tree D. Then all I need is two 3x60mm screws and lock nuts to attach the quarter fenders to the frame which I have not found yet. Does anybody have two 3x60mm screws and lock nuts they would like to get rid of? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Green Horn

rctrucker2 just saw your post while taking a break from working on the semi and trailers so figured I'd take a couple of pics for you and you can decide if you like it or not. As for the screw I just used a piece of M3 threaded road cut to 60mm and used a nut on both sides. I think it looks better then the Philips screw.

On a side note to everyone who suggested places to pick up the M2 button heads I was looking for just wanted to say thanks. Fastenal was able to get them for me and pick up my order yesterday afternoon and started to put them to good use. They definitely look a lot better then the cap heads and in certain areas like the fifth wheel has added more clearance for it to pivot.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:22 PM

Mavrick0

Thank you! It was very kind of you to go to all the trouble of taking the pictures for me. That really helps to see how they will look. I like the look and it appears that they fit just fine. I think I will order them. I will be watching your build and continue to learn from you and others on this board.

Your wheels look great. I will be ordering a set of Steve’s wheels soon for my build.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

looking good there buddy ,another cascadia build...wow you guys are making me want one of these trucks now...crap!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 04:09 AM

540-MAN is on a distinguished road

It would look better with the rounded ends on it near the rear wheels it would just set it off nicely.

Just a question do they really put the switches under the tanks like you have yours for the mfu or have you done that yourself. If that's where they put it I think it's a stupid place because considering how low the truck is I reckon they might get wrecked and court on something.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:50 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

540-MAN the MFU control panel sits in the left fuel tank .
Page 16

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/56340_01.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Green Horn

cabrover is on a distinguished road

Looking good, cant wait to see how this is gonna turn out!! I'll be watching this build, the Cascadia is growing on me, maybe in the future?

Tim
Old 06-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540-MAN View Post
It would look better with the rounded ends on it near the rear wheels it would just set it off nicely.

Just a question do they really put the switches under the tanks like you have yours for the mfu or have you done that yourself. If that's where they put it I think it's a stupid place because considering how low the truck is I reckon they might get wrecked and court on something.
I'm still tempted to get another set of side panels and do a little rework. Now that I have been looking more while on the road I'm now seeing more and more Cascadia's with this setup. And yes this is where Tamiya put the panel for the MFU controller. It's not ideal but really it doesn't sit that low and these trucks are pavement vehicles so I don't see any really issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrover View Post
Looking good, cant wait to see how this is gonna turn out!! I'll be watching this build, the Cascadia is growing on me, maybe in the future?

Tim
Thanks Tim. It's coming along slowly. There haven't been any major changes lately. Just some minor stuff like replacing all the cross members with aluminum one's so my wiring can pass through them. Rebuilt the tranny with the still shift gears since I found them on eBay and replaced the stock steel plates on the tranny with some nice black aluminum one's. And then I've always been routing my wires for where everything looks good and some other minor painting. Still haven't painted the main body as I'm trying to get a friend to do it before he goes away to a course for 4 months. Other then that it's been a lot of work to the trailers for the truck and they are almost done.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Very nice job. I started on my Cascadia and was surprised to see no springs in dampers, every Tamiya truck I built till now, had springs, but here, nothing, not in the blueprints,not in the packages.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Green Horn

Thank you. Yeah I noticed that too but didn't think much of it cause I put the oil filled shocks on. But did find it strange that they used an o-ring which I don't remember from the knight hauler when I built it.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 AM

4X44DAD is on a distinguished road

Very nice job
Old 06-27-2014, 10:08 AM

Mawler1 is on a distinguished road

no springs in the non oil filled shockies means that they aren't doing a thing....

I remember you from RCMT.net your Knight Hauler and I can't remember his name but he had a Knight Hauler too it was Candy Apple red and had lots of options...

now I have a green one myself set up as an Aussie Triple Road Train (3 Tamiya Tanker Trailers)

Yes I really need to get off my butt and post pics :-p
Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM

How is your build coming along, looking forward to some more pics?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Green Horn

It's been a while since I've updated this and things have come along way and then backwards but for a good reason. Ran it for a full day at the Clifford show with only one issue and that was the new Nimh pack that would only take half a charge and cause issues. Needless to say I'm going to start running my lipos with a lipo alarm since the MFU doesn't have a built in cut off.

The last mechanical thing I did before the show was to strip the tranny back out and replace the shift plates with steel to go with the brass gears and replace the main plate of the tranny with a set of black aluminum one's.

So after that was back in the body was installed and finished for the show. I'm not happy with the paint job but unfortunately my painter didn't have time. Might have to buy a new body and have it redone.

Since the show it has been taken apart to do some add-ons to the electronics. Thanks to two member of the club(Mario*supermario* and Wayne*flatdeck*) I learned of a company called SS-tronix which make some great items which I'm sure many of you know. Also being sold the SS-tronix by Wayne*flatdeck*, since he wasn't going to use the stuff saved me the 6-8 week wait for the majority of the stuff. I still have an order for some other add-ons but for the truck side I have everything I need. I'm also working on doing a hidden servo for the fifth wheel which I hope to have done tomorrow.

So that's where the truck sits now. Once I get the hidden servo done and a few paint touch ups I want to take it out and get some good pics of it in all it's glory.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

Great looking Truck.. Peter..

Wayne
Old 07-21-2014, 11:42 AM

The truck looks great. I like the color and the quarter fenders. That B-Train is one of the best looking I have seen. What is the frame on the first trailer? Looks like it has some parts off the Tamiya refer trailer. I would like to see more information on your B-train, great job there too. Nice looking rig all around.