RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:06 AM

weemanch is on a distinguished road
Default life question

Okay i'll first give background info on me before i jump straight to the question.
Background info: okay i am currently about to start my first year of college. For aviation mechanic, i got to this point because was in a bad motorcycle accident and had worked in factorys, before this as if i should possibly be doing some other type of career over this aka drive semi.

So question: how did you know forsure what you wanted to do n life or was it just following in fathers footsteps? Since i am unsure of which route to go really keep second guessing my self which i know its not good to play the what if game but it is my career my life, that i am pplayin that with.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: life question

me mom and my older brother went to out west on vacation
to see my other brother. well at a truck stop for gas i saw this big black rig. i got to climb up in the driver seat that was it for me
all the chrome gauges big pipes. i knew then and there i wanted to be a trucker that was 33 or 35 years ago...

now would ever tell somebody to become a trucker NO Way
Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

posting this from inside a KW W900L
Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 AM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: life question

With most people there are a lot of jobs in the span of a lifetime. You will probably have a different job every 5 years on average in this day and age compared to our parents and grandparents who had careers that spanned over a course of 20-40 years, and sometimes longer.

My father was an equipment operator for over 45 years. He handled everything from a Massey-Ferguson135 pulling a Bush Hog to a Ford 4500 Backhoe, and everything in between. Before that he worked for a trailer co. in Santa Fe Springs, CA. He was part of a crew responsible for wiring the lights on the trailers (running lights, brake lights, etc.); as well as a couple of other jobs as a teenager.

As a child, I wanted to be an astronaut. That dream ended when I first saw the film “Alien” at in 1980. I was 9 years old and very much into the sci-fi genre. After seeing the film, I discussed the real implications of such a find with my mother (a nurse), and she mentioned that not only could life be so alien to our way of thinking if we were to encounter it in space, but that it would most likely be viral or bacterial in nature and we’d never even see it coming. Needless to say, I decided to be a Truck Driver within a couple of hours after that discussion.

Once I graduated from school, I followed my father’s foot-steps and became an equipment operator. I worked side-by-side with him on the job for over 11 years. Operating everything from a Ford 2910 with everything from Pak-Forks to Jacobsen mowers hooked up to her, on up to running a Massey-Ferguson 20B Skip-Loader.

Then came the decision to move on to larger equipment, and I went to CRST to get my CDL. After a few months with them, I switched over to Werner Enterprises. They were a better company for me and I liked the equipment hands-down. With them I drove all 48 states coast-to-coast.

After a time, I felt a need to be closer to home and moved on to J-Mar Trucking – based in Salt Lake City, UT. I had a regional run with them that kept me in the 11 Western States. Unfortunately, they went out of business shortly thereafter and I was laid off.

During my hiatus from trucking, I volunteered my time at a local nursing home as an assistant to Medical Records where my mother served as manager. The job ranged from filing to typing to “hands-on” file maintenance with the doctors. The hardest part of this job was the lack of a windshield.

In my opinion, you should study for several things that interest you. Then find what truly makes YOU happy. Once you have achieved that goal, don’t worry about what anyone else tries to tell you. It’s your life to live, and you only get one shot at it.

As my great-grandmother used to always say, “You only start to die when you stop learning.”

With that thought in mind, try to learn something new at least once a week. And remember to “Have Fun”.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

I agree wholeheartedly with RCT. If in school, take widely different elective classes - you never know what might light a fire in you. I know many people today guide you to whatever job pays the most, but payment comes in many forms and working at something you are passionate about makes up in so many ways for lower $$s. What is it that you really like to do? Identify those things and look for jobs that satisfy that desire. I've been very fortunate to work at the same company for 45 years, and filled many positions. But the one I've done the most is what I've enjoyed the most - teaching heavy equipment technicians and troubleshooting technical problems. Not everyone is as lucky, but look for what makes you get up in the morning and want to do all day. Perhaps people change jobs so often in the U.S. because they are still looking for the "right" one for them. Wishing you the best for your future.

Ken
Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 AM

wingnut163 is on a distinguished road

life question:
in my younger years, join the navy, then go into the mountain and become a mountain man. all so thought about driving semis.

then an art teacher n the 8th grade talked me in to going to an art school, went, jumped around trying to find a type that fit. ended up with silkscreen. went in to the navy, after boot got on my first ship and saw a shop with all machines. asked what it was. turns out it was a machine shop were the lathes,mills ETC made what was needed.
i thought that screws and parts were born that way. i was hooked. got transferred into the shop. 4 years later, (all ways wanted to be in for 20) i got out of the navy but joined the reserves.

then started my NYC transit authority as an election and 40 years later i still dont know what i want to do.

but i am retired, three pensions coming in, and living up state new york kinda like the mountains. so, when you find out what you want to do, let me know.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 PM

Thank you for the answers so far guys, why i asked it here versus some of my car forums. Since knew id get more insight(no offense to members, but seems like it is more older guys on here)
Old 08-29-2014, 06:34 PM

rsd53 is on a distinguished road

I know most people would want to choose their life path, but sometimes, life chooses it for you.

In 1971, when I was 18, I made a decision to volunteer for the Air Force, rather than be drafted. I was given my choice of 4 different types of work. I have great mechanical skills but decided I didn't want to end up working in a motor pool. So I chose electrical. From that I could select 3 different jobs. It was near the end of basic training when I found out I was chosen to be a facilities electrician. Nothing close to aircraft electronics, or computer technician, and some unknown pencil pusher (life?) made that decision for me. I was really upset when I found out.

Although at the time I had made up my mind to make a career in the military, I only stayed in for 8 years. During my time as an electrician, I gained a lot of experience. That experience earned me a lot of job offers.

It's funny how things work out. I ended up taking a job with Alcoa in southern California. Over the 16 years I was at that plant, I kept getting more challenging work assignments. Long story short, when the plant closing announced in 1994, I was asked to stay on as electrical engineer.

I was transferred to a plant in Pennsylvania. My job there involved the electrical design and construction of a new plant. After the plant was built, I was the engineer for the next 11 years. I applied for a job at another plant in southern Indiana. In this case I was involved in the installation of environmental equipment. This was a 3 year project, and cost over $500 million. I retired from there 2 years ago. I did some local consulting until I found a great job believe it or not, on Craigslist.

I know there's a lot of history above, but the point is, I can trace all of my success in life back to, a single choice life made for me. By the way, I never got a degree. Life didn't put that on my path.

My advice would be no matter what you do, be a good person, helpful with others, work hard, don't be afraid to pursue opportunities out of your comfort zone, and look for opening doors.

Rob
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Re: life question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycuda View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with RCT. If in school, take widely different elective classes - you never know what might light a fire in you. I know many people today guide you to whatever job pays the most, but payment comes in many forms and working at something you are passionate about makes up in so many ways for lower $$s. What is it that you really like to do? Identify those things and look for jobs that satisfy that desire. I've been very fortunate to work at the same company for 45 years, and filled many positions. But the one I've done the most is what I've enjoyed the most - teaching heavy equipment technicians and troubleshooting technical problems. Not everyone is as lucky, but look for what makes you get up in the morning and want to do all day. Perhaps people change jobs so often in the U.S. because they are still looking for the "right" one for them. Wishing you the best for your future.

Ken
Well said Ken, and in a more eloquent way than I had stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd53 View Post

My advice would be no matter what you do, be a good person, helpful with others, work hard, don't be afraid to pursue opportunities out of your comfort zone, and look for opening doors.

Rob
All good points Rob. If you follow this advice in all aspects of your life, you'll live a full interesting life.

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." - Rosalind Russell

- RCT

Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 AM

As far as the schooling thing, i am going to a tech school so they dont really have any optional classes other then what i need for my associates. Which they have ties to a couple specific types of jobs i would mind doing, as long as i keep my self focused and think long term goal and what will be best for and my gf and my son. The end goals for me following my associates degree in applied science i'd really llike to end up either in some type of aerospace engineer position or a management roll or something of that nature, not just the mechanic role of it.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Journeyman

Arrow Re: life question

Just try to remember that no matter what job or career you choose in life, none will be as important as being part of a family.

It's been stated before, no one has ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at work." , but it has been echoed, "I really wish I'd spent more time with my family."

- RCT

Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

Also just a little reminder, of it sucks and you hate it change careers. People do it all the time at all different stages in life. No one says you have to stay an aviation mechanic forever. I know a guy that was a machinist, owned his own shop n did ok for himself for almost 30 years, decided he was miserable, hated his tedious work and decided to go into mutual funds/investments and works for a huge firm called axa equitable. He now makes 3 times what he used to. Works normal hours punches a clock, leaves his work at work and is happy. He mad the switch at almost 50 years old. Keep that in mind. I'm 29 and thinking of a career change as we speak. From diesel mechanic n part time truck driver to fireman.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I'm in my 26th year of being self employed in construction. Spent some time in a machine shop during high school, it makes a great hobby and being able to build and maintain my equipment. Tried the over the road gig, the last 2 winter's, well it pay'd the bills, but really don't enjoy that lifestyle! I don't know what field is recession proof?
I always liked farm and construction equipment and trucks! Joined the national guard and spent some time in the naval reserves as a Seabee, got some good training out of it!
All you can do is, to try something and succeed!
cheers, Neil.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

I'm one of the younger guys on here at 29, but ill share my path so far. As a kid I was always taking things apart and playing with legos. My parents made it easy to go to college, so I did. I was unsure if I picked the right major, but as I progressed the classes got more and more interesting. It was pretty hard and I was a mediocre student which made me doubt myself. Now I'm working as a mechanical engineer and well respected at work. I love it. I still play the what if game in my head sometimes. I am unsure which path I should take from here. Nobody really knows what they want to do.