RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:04 AM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road
Default What motivates you!!

I love this hobby and love the customization that can be done, but I keep running into..Lets say creative blocks. I have the ideas and "some"of the know how on getting them done, it's just that I keep loosing the drive to go and do it.. I'll get home and want to do start working on one then I'm sitting on the couch flippin through an r/c mag and just bumming that I dont have a running ride. Yet I still cant get the final ummmpph to go get one done.

Other times I get stumped on how to do something and that takes the drive away or even just makes me want to go a complete different direction on it.
Then it just ends up sitting there in peices till who knows when.

So what keeps you guys going on your builds. Or what gets you back in motion after a slacking spell?? Give me some input so I can get my arse in gear.

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What motivates you!!

health and family issues have brought me to a standstill this past year, just starting to get back into the swing of things, my motivation starts with cleaning and organizing the shop.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

My motivation right now is higher then ever for the fact that I financially cannot afford to put money into my trucks since I have to pay my wedding off which is happening this August. So there no money in the budget for hobbys right now, you know what they say " you always want what you can't have" and right now I want two sets of styling n profilins stacks for my trucks, two sets of steves aluminum alcoa wheels, n tons of goodies from Brian in Pa and Russ at the Boneyard. Soon enough ill be back at it.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

Red Bull and upcoming meets or shows along with having the project fully functional.
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

the fact that for the first time i will be doing a mini truck show inside of a big truck show and when the people see my builds and marvel at the detail that goes in them and when they say"thats cool" or "nice work" or the fact they will stand and watch me run the trucks and to get that kind of response from people and children from all walks of life is a blast to me and also to hear them say "whats next" is great also.i'm an owner/ operator and working on them or looking for new ideas is actually a stress reliever for me from the day of dealing with irate shippers and slow to unload customers ..i make time to do this it helps...just wanted to say that
Old 02-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

It is all about a clean and organized shop for me as well. I used to be so messy that I had "clear an area" to start a project and I realized that I dreaded going down to the basement because it was such a mess... now I look forward to doing work in my clean basement/shop. I even clean up many times during a build so that my work area stays nice and clean.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

for my own modeling , "STRESS RELEIF " and for parts for others , making ppl happy doing the best work I can do with the tools I have on hand and helping grow this wonderful hobby

nothing like the joy of carving something out of a block of metal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Relaxation.....

I enjoy enjoy building farm equipment becasue of the mechanical intricacies in farm machinery... I enjoy helping fellow members and potential members get into the hobby.

Rob

Last edited by rc_farmer; 02-14-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I would say stress relief. I like creating something out of a piece of steel or brass and sometimes aluminum. Aluminum last because I fabricate aluminum for a living. Operating my dragline after working on it for years gives me a great joy of creating a working machine from raw materials. The gears are always tuning in my head scheming ways to build vintage earthmoving equipment. With the technologies of today, Nothing seems impossible to build with some inner motivation. Sure beats the crap out of hanging out in the bar after work psin my money down the drain.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoy working on my trucks because i've been modeling since I was a young kid. I guess it's in my bloodBut one of the biggest reasons is i've seen so many great builds, and it makes me get my butt in gear. And last but not least, i'm wanting to go to Indy this year to shake some hands, and meet some of the members in person.

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

I have so many ideas floating through my head on what Id like to do I end up not getting any finished. Ill make it half way through and decide to change up then bam nothing happens because I cant figure out which I like better,or how to complete one.

My biggest issue on another build is research. Ive been doing so much for my "kilitary" build and have tons of info on main body parts and measurments but Im held up on finding out specifics for the suspensoin setup. Whats holding me up here is, how much realism do I want to give up in matching the 1:1 or just go on making something work to have a running rig. knowing it would be similar to what it uses.

I do have the drive going now,parts are on the way and I actually have time off when a show is happening, so Id like to try and have 1 running rig by then to be able to go and attend and drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Id love to hit Indy and have a blast hanging and driving.

--Dan

Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Aero 9000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalelover View Post
I love this hobby and love the customization that can be done, but I keep running into..Lets say creative blocks. I have the ideas and "some"of the know how on getting them done, it's just that I keep loosing the drive to go and do it.. I'll get home and want to do start working on one then I'm sitting on the couch flippin through an r/c mag and just bumming that I dont have a running ride. Yet I still cant get the final ummmpph to go get one done.

Other times I get stumped on how to do something and that takes the drive away or even just makes me want to go a complete different direction on it.
Then it just ends up sitting there in peices till who knows when.

So what keeps you guys going on your builds. Or what gets you back in motion after a slacking spell?? Give me some input so I can get my arse in gear.

--Dan

Caffeine.....
And absolute determination.

Also it can be a boost to moral to "just get something going" even if it is not perfect. Get it done, get it working and if it bugs you go back later and "fix it" the way you want.

Getting stuff perfect right from word go can be very hard, almost allways you do something and after it is done you look at it and think "gee i can see a better way of doing that now".

Sometimes you just need to get it done and let evolution take it's course otherwise you could be like Howard Hughes with his "Spruce Goose", he fiiddled and stuffed about forever to get it perfect and by the time it was done it was obsolete..

Just do it....!!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I can relate to this topic! The last few years, my motivation for RC projects has come and gone, more then once. What really wrecks my motivation is hitting a creative block, or worse, having an idea and no way to implement it. Building my current Wedico has been a trial. There were a lot of things I wanted to correct, but I would just have no idea how to go about it, or when I got an idea, it required skills and tools I did not yet have. That project got pushed off to the side more then once because of this, but I never lost the desire to have a finished model. After a few months, maybe even a year, I'd always come back with a fresh mind, and some great ideas I could make work. The thing is, even when the truck was collecting dust on the shelf, my mind was always thinking about it. How I could fix this or that, how I could make the truck what I wanted it to be, and how I would accomplish things. But my bigger problem is I'm a perfectionist, and I can't settle for just living with it. Even so, I've found sometimes you just have to compromise and find a happy medium.

Best advice I can give you is if there is something holding you up, sleep on it, and come back to it later. Work on something you can accomplish (on the same model), in the mean time, to keep moving forward. If the thing that is holding you up is a major stumbling block, and stopping the rest of your progress, pull up your skirt, dig in, and get it done. I've changed things 3 or 4 times, since I started building my truck. Don't be afraid to go back and re-do things. Don't ever be afraid to just dig in and get your hands dirty either. If you find you can't accomplish the job to your satisifcation, find someone who can help you. Or try, try again.

When all else fails, just read everyone's else build threads. You'd be surprised at the good ideas you'll find. If nothing else, it just gives you the inspiration you need to carry on, but don't fall into the trap of spending all your free time reading about everyone else's projects. Better to go build something of your own, then spend all your free time on the internet watching what everyone else is doing.

Also, resist the urge to start multiple projects. I had a serious problem with this. I know some guys are able to have 6 projects going at one time, but not me. It just slows me down from getting anything done. Not to mention, spending the funds in a bunch of different places, spreads things far to thin.

Last edited by Espeefan; 02-19-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Green Horn

Location: Up a hill above the dirty Ohio river on the Indiana side.
rcguyfarms is on a distinguished road

new parts
Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Green Horn

Car5858 will become famous soon enoughCar5858 will become famous soon enough

The challange of the design required to make it work like the 1:1 scale.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

oh yes i have changed things on my trucks several times but just like when you are building a real working show truck it takes time and some guys have changed items or even full paint jobs a number of times .i am one of those fellows that have 4or 5 things going at the same time when i paint something and have to let it dry i go to the next project.otherwise i get too impatient and tend to try to speed things up and makes mistakes .it easier to change an idea then to fix a mistake in btween i have at least one truck working and some time i just go out and play ....works and motivates me more especially with the compliments from people on this forum and people where i live