RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:59 PM

jjackso5 is on a distinguished road
Default Graupner Radios, Hand held and Tray

I'm looking for information for new radios for my fleet. I heard that the new line of Graupner Radios were good, easily adaptable to our needs with the trucks and equipment and not excessively cost prohibitive.

The second part of this question is the use of a "tray style" radio verses the conventional hand held units. Both from Graupner. Is anyone using tray type radios and what is the most adaptable setup for our needs? Who's using one that could offer "hands-on" experience on set up and programming. Any suggestions of assistance would be appreciated.

I'm considering revising my radios for my trucks and looking to maybe get a piece of equipment as well, hence the reason for my questions. My current radios are the Spektrum Park Flyer Series that have served me well, but they are in need of some updating and they are only 6 channels as well. I have a few of the "(Futaba) Robbe Terra-Top radios" pre-cursor to the Futaba F14 series, but they are on 72 and 75 MHz, 8 channels, but I can not find a way to update them that is not cost prohibitive, and because of their age they are not digital systems. The same update concerns go for the "Futaba Gold Series" that I have, they are 7 channel, but analog no support or updates available that I been able to find.

So again, any information, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and help,

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Graupner Radios, Hand held and Tray

I have both styles of radios, the tray style is german, (Brixel), for my Premacon 960sme excavator, the other is my Hand held Spectrum DX 18, that controls my carson track loader, RC4WD Wheel Loader, RC4WD excavator, Rc4wd dump truck and Dozer.

Won't be able to help you programming at all with the Brixel because it's in German, but I really like the spectrum of which you are familiar with. The Spectrum seams to be one of the least expensive ones with as many functions as you can possibly use, and fairly easy to program. I have all my machines set up with voltage and temperatures on the radio display.
The tray system I always have to find a place to set the Radio down to operate it which I don't like, and I don't like my radios for construction hanging around my neck.

David
Old 11-02-2017, 08:49 AM

David, thank you for the response and information. You indicated that you have to set down the tray radio, I thought that there was a shoulder harness type arrangement to use with these. I have to be careful on what I hang around my neck or loading my back due to some health concerns which is one of the reasons I thought about the tray style radio.

I thought about the higher functioning Spektrums, but thinking that the tray had been optimized for use with construction equipment and trucks based on the European usage. Thoughts?

Again, thank you for your input, I'll let you know what I do.

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-02-2017, 11:54 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Why not just buy the radio of your choice or use one of your old radios and then buy one of the many attachable trays and the harness as both come in different styles ??????????
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=e...ih=467#imgrc=_

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:47 AM

Cossett, thank you for the response. Yes this could be an option, but I only have 6 channels currently with no expansion and some issues with the radios based on their age and usage. I also, use the same radios for my tanks, so I'm looking to have separation of the two somewhat different hobbies. Hence the reason for considering new radios, with the option of expansion packs, more channels, and more programming options.

Thank you for the idea though, I did look at the link, it even had a couple of the radios shown that I have been looking at.

Again, thank you for the time, thoughts, and consideration.

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Jim, From running RC tanks, trucks and construction equipment, I would go with the Spektrum radios. While not a tray style radio, you cannot beat the price for what you get with the Spektrum versus the other brands. Yes, they do make a harness for the tray radios but most guys set down to run there equipment while using a tray radio with the radio on their lap. Trucks and tanks are about the only vehicles we run while standing. The construction equipment is used in a more confined space which means you can set and use it. There was some problems with the Spektrums and the MFU units in the trucks and tanks but they have been worked out to my knowledge. Proper setting of dual rates fixed the issue. Don't ask me what the settings are but I know you can make them work now.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:41 PM

Lynn, thank you for the reply. Yes, I have been happy with my Spektrum radios, but they are the "Park Flyer" style and I haven't been able to update them, the batteries keep going on them, and they are only 6 channels. I keep thinking I would prefer more channels, to add more functions. Which the combination of the Tamiya MFU and my current radios is limiting me. So that's also what prompted me to begin looking at options for the radios. Due to my recent health issues, I'm not as mobile as I used to be, so I think I'd be sitting more than I used to. Also, currently I can not have anything hanging on my neck, with the tray style I thought there was/is a shoulder strap/harness that might be easier for me, at least in the near term. Then, there is the desire on my part to add some additional functions to the trucks, the need for more than the 6 channels offered in my current radios.

I did do a comparison of the "Taranis X9E, actually a tray style" and the Spektrum DX18, the later is about double the price. So along with input on type/style of radio I'm also looking for input as to who's had experience with these various radios, good/bad, etc.

So again, I'm looking for an economical solution that will meet my needs of the trucks. I will probably just use the Spektrum DX 6 Park Flyer for the tanks for now.

Thank you again for the response, it was good to hear from you again. Take care, hope to see you at an event soon.

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Love my DX18... it'll be the last radio I ever buy... shop ebay for AR8000 & AR9020 rx's for a fractional price of any hobbyshop.

Joe
Old 11-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Jim, Look for a battery upgrade for the Spektrums. I put a LiPo in one of mine and doubled the battery life. It was a plug and play. Used the same charger that came with the radio. Radio did all of the switching itself. If you are just going to run trucks with some added features try a DX9. You only need 4 channels for an MFU. This would give you 5 more channels to play with. The park flyer radios are not the same as the higher end radios. I think that they use better batteries in the more expensive radio systems.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

go with the dx 18 last radio you will ever need to buy unless you would like to 1 or 2 for friends to use lol you get 30 model memories on each memorie card
Old 11-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

I upgraded my radios to Spektrum, the latest a DX9, love the radio, easy to use and program. Don’t let your Spektrum “park flyer” radio sway your decision, those radios are designed for park flyer airplane which are straight forward for setting up those type of aircraft, a total different world than trucks and construction equipment. I would guess my DX9 will be strained but usable on an excavator, but with 250 model memory it’ll be awhile before I get there.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Guys, thank you for the responses/input. I'll take a look at the Spektrum DX9 and above. I haven't had to buy any radios for a long time, and I want to add some features to the truck and equipment too. I'm also thinking of trying the Servonaut ESC and Sound/light systems. Again this is part of what was driving my questions about added functions and level of expansion for the radios.

Thank you again for your responses, I'll let me know what I end of doing. Maybe I can put together a thread on this.

Regards,

Jim