RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Get it out of your system! HERE!

Get it out of your system! HERE! You have a gripe,bone to pick, Tamiya vs Wedico or just have to let it out! THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE TO DO IT!

Old 03-02-2018, 06:51 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Why can't companies figure out scale?

If you sell a "1/14 car", it should be *somewhere* around 1/14 and not slightly smaller than a 1/18 scale diecast of that same car!

I'll give them about 2 scales either way. 1/12 and 1/16 can play with 1/14 and not look too weird. A lot of 1/10 scale rock crawlers are closer to 1/8. Your square body chevy, my cherokee, and his samurai body looking ok on the same chassis, axles, and tires will induce some weird offsets so whatever. I'm ok with that. That's fitting an aftermarket body to a chassis or racing rules.

But i can't give them that on a hard body that they made a custom body and chassis for. I'll give them artistic license to not have perfect angles, wrong bumpers, missing lights, weird tires... So much of how they do scale is flagrant stupidity.
If you make a 1/18 ambulance or 1/24 bus call it that! It's not magically 1/14 just because bumper te bumper length is the same as a 1/14 miata!

A "1/14 scale" 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Futura Duplex
Vs 1/18 scale 1959 Cadillac Superior Crown Royal Landau 3-way

How can i build a 23 foot long, 7 foot wide retired death mobile of awesomeness out of this?

Seriously! Why you no math?

Last edited by frizzen; 03-03-2018 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 03-03-2018, 07:29 AM

ramjetexpress is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why can't companies figure out scale?

Very True
Old 03-07-2018, 09:57 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Yes, gotta also take into thought that some of the vehicles offered are figments. Scaled off of what? The die cast actual vehicles yes should be correct. But you can't compare crawlers or bashers to be "scale." Best bet is to look at dimensions and not scale.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 03-07-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

"1/16 scale" M35

Yeah, should be *way* bigger than a 1/15 Subaru Impreza.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road

That does indeed look very off scale. How wide is the M35? The internet suggests 14 cm. Wikipedia says 236 cm for the real thing. There's obviously a lot of wiggle room depending on if it's wheel to wheel or fender to fender or mirror to mirror, but those measurements puts the scale between 1/16 and 1/17. 13cm would place it around 1/18, and 15 cm around 1/15.
The Subaru looks like it's the same width in that picture. That would place it closer to 1/13 - 1/12 ?

Interestingly, it looks like the Toyota Hilux body for the "1/16 WPL C14" would be a very close match to 1/14.

Last edited by Wombii; 04-11-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 AM

JennyC6 is on a distinguished road

This issue bit me pretty bad with my CA-10. They advertise it as 1/12 scale, meaning a normal height person would be accurately represented by a six inch figure. So I bought a Duke Nukem action figure for use as a driver....only to find Duke's about 30% too tall to fit in the cab without sawing him in half! I'm thinking it's really a 1/14-ish like all the Tamiya trucks and that I need a 4.5-5 inch figure as a driver, rather than a six incher.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Good point jenny

A lot of cabs don't get the seat to roof, or seat to steering wheel ratios right for a driver. It might work if the seat wasn't plastic and could compress under their weight. I've also seen a bunch where the steering wheel nearly touches the seat, not sure how that works.

Even more cabs seem to have the window sized so a driver can't hang their arm out without their head up against the headliner. Most of my stuff is too old to have A/C, my drivers gonna get hot...
Old 10-12-2021, 06:56 AM

Poppy Ann is on a distinguished road

With scale I believe that a machine that was 14 Meters long should be very close to 1 meter long with motor vehicles the scale should be very close to the original overall length and width overall plus the wheel base should be close no model sold as scale should be more than 5% under/over size.

With the price a lot of models are above £1000 they should look just the same as the real machine they are based on.
I was looking on Aliexpress.com for a model hydraulic mini digger and came across one that looked great it looked like the manufacturer had taken the time to get it right it was around £4500 and I was thinking that I would save up for one except on reading a bit more I noticed there was no information about what radio it used and at that point I found out it was not a model it was full size I was trying to work out where I could keep it to fit a radio control system but I could not find a place I think it better to forget about it it could have been a great 1/1 scale model��