RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Corral for the IRONHORSE

Corral for the IRONHORSE If it runs on rails,put it here!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Steamers" Builds and collection

IHSteve. Thanks a lot. Still have a lot to learn with these confusers, sometimes I'd like to reboot it right out the window!!! Yes I use Photobucket and I though that I was following what Lou said, but must have missed something along the line. I'll keep trying and sooner or later I'll get it right.
Rob
Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM

J Hall is on a distinguished road

Just checked into the steam forum for the first time...Nice..Nice..Nice..

Jerry
Old 10-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Well here goes my first try at photos. Hope this works. All these engines are 1/16" scale.
F40PH
Wow. That F40PH is gorgeous! Do you have any more pictures of that loco? Amazing, knowing you've built these up from raw materials.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Nathon, Glad you like it. Here's one more for you. What I regret most, when I was building these locomotives that I didn't take more photos of the builds. Here's another one from the same train show and I'll see what I can find this weekend. Rob
Old 10-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Amazing. What do you build the carbody out of, and how do you make all the detail parts, like the radiator fans, steps, pilot, bell, horn, ect? If you weld that carbody together with sheet metal, you are talented. It looks so clean and smooth. What does a model like the F40PH end up weighing? It's just incredible.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Nice engines! I have dreamed of building a large scale 3 truck Shay for many years. Just don't have the necessary equipment to do the job. Always love to see the Shay's drive train in motion as they go by you.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Journeyman

Good Morning. As I said there are not many pictures of my builds, as that never entered my mind to document them. The pictures were mostly of the real engines to give me an idea of the looks and size. Most of the time, I have been lucky to BS my way into the facilities to measure the real engines. Go Transit were very helpful and let me in there enough times to get all the dimensions of the F40 and here's a shot with my five year old.

The next is with two locomotives being built at the same time, F40 and CN 5703 4-6-4 Hudson. You can see that the forty is built from 20 gauge sheet metal and was spot welded with 20 gauge angle in the corners. Most of the detail on the body is evergreen plastic fastened with JB weld.

The steamer ended up like this

The only other shot of the F40 is really not worth posting but it's all I could find. This was taken after I painted it and the paint is the same as on the F40. The company the made the paint donated it after seeing the model.

As far as the detail goes cooling fans were small 12 volt motors, turned alum hubs, slit then at a 45 angle and JB in the blades. Never had a blade come back out. From memory I would say the engine with batteries was about 150 lbs. Hope this helps, but keep asking questions and I'll try to answer .
Rob
Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road

i used to work at cpr , nice to see that engine
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Green Horn

kamyoncu is on a distinguished road

I understand to making cars but What did you guys produce rails ? expecially curves ?
MACK Granite 8x6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Journeyman

There is proper Aluminum extruded rail that is available but very expensive per foot. Our club in Ontario Coals used this rail for that layout. The only problem with Aluminum is it's very slippery when you run steam engines on it. A little oil add some water and it's like driving on ice. For my home track I just used 1/4" x 3/4" flat hot rolled steel in 22 foot lengths. I Used 2"x2"x8" for the ties. With a dado head on the table saw, set it up to cut one side a tight 1/4" and the other side a loose 1/4'. When you assemble the track lay out enough ties to cover about 30' or so. Start with one rail on the tight side and drive it in to the bottom of the cut,I made mine 1/4" deep. Set your curve and drive a long nail through the ties every 5' or so just to hold were you want it. now go back and push in the other rail and your away. Don't forget to stagger the two ends of the rail about 4' so that you don't get a kink at the joint. The other nice point about the steel is as it gets rusty you get better traction and the sun will not cause it to expand as bad as the aluminum.
Rob
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Rob, you wouldn't happen to have any photos of your track layed out around your home, would you? I imagine it's kind of like a garden model railroad, but bigger models.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Journeyman

Wink Re: "Steamers" Builds and collection

I was thinking what it would have been to have digital cameras 15 to 20 years ago. There's not many pictures in my albums from my home track but some from the COALS track in Brantford Ontario.
Hauling some freight

Filling the NYC Niagara up with water.

These two are my back yard.
Night run

Double header steam and diesel,

I never did build any buildings for my track but we had full signals, stations and a working water tower at COALS track.
Rob
Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Very Cool Rob It is crazy that they have enough power to pull adults around !

greg
Old 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Very cool indeed! Steel wheels on steel rails will always be the most efficient means of transport known to man. I've read many times that it takes 1 hp to move 1 ton of weight on rails, vs. 10 hp to move 1 ton on the road with tires. I sure could see myself getting into this end of model railroading. To bad things like the truck sideframes and gearboxes for the trucks aren't readily available. I could probably handle making the locomotive frames, carbody, cab, and the rest of the drivetrain, but the trucks would be a hang up for me. I don't think I could machine them to perfection, to the point where I would be happy with them.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Journeyman

Nathan. Just to let you know that I'm not ignoring you, I'm getting a bunch of photos together on how I built the trucks on the F40 and the SD40. As soon I come up with the pictures, I'll post them.
Rob
Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 AM

vmilnik is on a distinguished road

awesome pics
Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Nathan. Just to let you know that I'm not ignoring you, I'm getting a bunch of photos together on how I built the trucks on the F40 and the SD40. As soon I come up with the pictures, I'll post them.
Rob
No worries Rob! I'm patient!