RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Aeromax AWD flat bed.

Cool first hand experience Joe. If I'm not mistaken, most 1:1 trucks with solid front axles have the tie rods in front of the axle, but they can still achieve the proper ackerman geometry. I think a lot of solid axle 4x4s are like this.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM

mtloperator is on a distinguished road

Depends on the application Nate . If the truck it's on is going to be in a severe inviroment where it could get bent easily they'll put it in the rear .
Old 01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
And another powered steering axle with the tie rod on the wrong side of the axle!!! ...you guys, do you not peel the tires off in a sharp turn, nor do you notice how it seems to slide more than it carves?
All of mine are this way and I have no problems at all. This one did really well on the test run and the only way to make it turn sharper would be to widen it up as the only thing stopping it is the tires hitting the springs. I don't glue my tires or anything and they stay on just fine it is all in what is inside the tire.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road

Well what ya think of the axles?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhog View Post
Well what ya think of the axles?
Well after some tweaking here and there I took it for a test run and it did really good. The biggest thing would be rims for the front. You can use a round pin drive with stock front rims and you get a lot of turning radius with the same width as a stock front axle. I used a stock Tamiya inside rear rim with an extra bead glued on for super singles. To use the rims I put together I had to shave the steering arms a bit and use thicker hexes to widen it up a bit but I still ended up with the same track width as a stock axle. I did give up some turning ability with the SS but I like the look of them better so I gave up some function for style.

Travis

Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Out of control

Here is a pic of the Tamiya TLT axle directly from the Tamiya web site. It is designed to have the tie rod in the front. Any body who has worked with them much knows the TLT does not have much turning ability any way due to the built in stops. If you modify the stops it will turn a little sharper but it starts to bind the axles since Tamiya did not put the pivot point of the shafts in line with the king pins either. But the Integy axles have the pivot in line with the king pins and it has twice as much or more turning capability.

Travis

Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

So is the hilift axle, but they're both wrong with their steering geometry.

I use the tlt's in two of my GL's.

Try doing it with the tie rod behind once and measure the difference in radius of the turn. It's a hassle to raise the tie rod with spacers to clear the bell on the diff & make a wishbone to pivot off the top of the steering knuckle for the steering servo to remain in the stock position.

Joe
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Out of control

Like I said I am good with it its not that big of a deal.

Travis

Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM
BANNED

What's that saying "lead a horse to water..."

But now it's becoming "beat a dead horse..", I know, won't mention again

Joe
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Nice setup. Does the new axles seems as though/ durable as the Tamiya axles?

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM

ptebbe is on a distinguished road

In this application of small, lightweight, "low mileage" vehilcles where tire-life and turning perfomance are not life-and-death issues, the steering geometry is felt to be "good enough." One tire or the other scrubs a bit and the turn is not as precise as it could be but it's not a big deal.

In order to get the correct Ackerman Geometry with the steering linkage in front of the axle the tie-rod ends must extend out past the king-pin (pivot point.) Thus with the linkage behind the axle you can have angled-in steering arms but in front of the axle they just be toed-out. This puts them actually inside the wheels themselves, which is even more problematic in setting up the steering in our models. So we generally make due with "good enough."
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Default Followup to Ackerman Geometry: front vs rear steering arms...

Here's the best diagram I could find that shows why the steering arms in front vs in the rear of the axle are angled the way they are. I found this helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ackerman-front vs rear steering arm.jpg (39.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Joe, have you seen this style of tie rod? see the link for the Sisu steer axle, http://www.marmon-herrington.com/p/b...su/FSDP10S.pdf See page 2.
Cheer's, Neil.

Quote:

Try doing it with the tie rod behind once and measure the difference in radius of the turn. It's a hassle to raise the tie rod with spacers to clear the bell on the diff & make a wishbone to pivot off the top of the steering knuckle for the steering servo to remain in the stock position.

Last edited by doodlebug; 04-14-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: editttted
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

morning folks ,
I know that when I had my IHC pick-up aligned they had to put wedges between the axle and the springs to get the caster and camber right ,
lets see caster is tilt of kingpin forwards and backwards and camber is tilt of kingpin inside and outside
this has a bunch to due with setting up the right angles for the Ackerman design
I can find out more and post it on the site if anyone cares
thanks
grumpygrady
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 PM

Lil Giants: this looks like the right setup for correct Ackerman geometry to me. There are 2 challenges here as you mentioned: having the rear steering arm clear the driveshaft and the other is setting up a steering linkage from the original location of the servo (in front of the axle.)

Here a YouTube example of another ingenious solution: using steering arm extenders for a steering linkage in front of the axles. This moves the lever arm outward past the kingpins and into the inside of the wheels for correct geometry. When I look at my truck models the clearance inside the wheels looks very, very tight to do such a setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9JsMhTA48Q

Quote:

Last edited by ptebbe; 04-15-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: missing link
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM
BANNED

That's a great find on both the sketch & the video ptebe, both explain very clearly how to make a tie rod infront work correctly. Thank you for the edumacation.

Joe
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Last point on the Ackerman thing...

I hate to beat a dead horse, but this steering geometry issue has intrigued me.

I found this product from Gear Doctor (Germany) which should make it easy to set up correct steering and keep the typical servo location. #20399. This is one of the upgrades to the Tamiya axle that they offer (along with lockable diffs.)

Looks like a good product.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GearDoctor Axle 2 arms.jpg (22.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by ptebbe; 04-16-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Out of control

Here is a small update of the truck with a little paint on it.

Thanks for looking.
Travis

Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

looking good Travis

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
looking good Travis
Thanks, I need to work on my picture taking skills though. The truck look so much better in person.

Travis