RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Green Horn

Thorsteenster is on a distinguished road
Default Powered all-thread and nut lift

Not sure what this is called, but the all-thread is stationary and has a nut on it, so when the all-thread is turned it moves the nut back and forth depending on which way it's truned.
I saw this somewhere, don't think it was RC but seems it could be fairly useful.
Anyone heard of this, or used it/seen it used, and if so, does it work fairly well?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 PM

Roadmasters is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Powered all-thread and nut lift

its called a screw drive or gear drive. talk to freddy, **** tell you all about them

Next East Coast Minitruckers Meet:

Arioch
Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 PM

CatdrvR is on a distinguished road

Yes Roadmasters is correct, it is properly called a screw drive and is used for all sorts of things in our niche hobby. For instance, they are commonly used on dump trucks to raise and lower the dump bed. They are also used to simulate hydraulic cylinders sometimes. They are usually too slow for that application. They work very well by the way. Many people actually prefer the screw drive compared to it's hydraulic counterpart for the dump truck application.

Dan

p.s. - I think my first post directed at you was more friendly and useful than your first post directed at me on Scale4x4... that is... if you are the same person.

Last edited by CatdrvR; 08-28-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Green Horn

Ah yes, thanks guys. This is good to know as I was thinking of using it for a dump bed.
If anyone knows a build thread or a link with details/pictures etc please post.

Cat, what's your name on Scale? There was a large influx of new users and a bunch of miscategorized posts, so unless it was personal, nothing personal lol.
Really though, no hard feelings I hope.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Here are a couple of screw drives for you.

Video

Video

I hope this helps and all of these screw drives were built by me with some advice from FREDDYGEARDRIVE

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Green Horn

Thanks, I've been trying to search but stupid Google gives me mostly results for screw driver lol.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Screw drives are great. Nice and reliable. Easy to build. Best of all (maybe) no hydraulic leaks! But the one thing I noticed about the screw drives is that the speed at which they raise a dump box is not linear. They lift or lower really fast torwards the bottom of their travel, but then slow down at the middle to top of the lift travel. Not much you can about that, except maybe do a sissors type lift?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

My hyd dump does the same thing as it has to start filling the larger sections of the cylinder. Not as dramatic as the screw drive though.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Like playing pool, it's all about the angles. When the slider starts to push it's basicaly trying to push the front end out of the box. Because of the rear hinge, the box has no were to go but up and it does real fast. As the slider goes through the middle and the screw rpm remains the same it looks slower because of the lift angle. Should design a compensator circuit gives max torque at the start, and as the amps start to drop off mid lift, it brings the voltage up to increase the screw rpm making it look more consistent . I'm sure someone on here should be able come up with a circuit. If not, I'll put some thought into it when I get into my dump build.
Rob
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Mustang is on a distinguished road

I used the Carson sissor style unit in my King Hauler dump truck. It is very smooth and powerful plus it's speed remains constant. It's designed for their trailer so it takes a bit of modification to fit between Tamiya frame rails but I found it well worth the work.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Like playing pool, it's all about the angles. When the slider starts to push it's basicaly trying to push the front end out of the box. Because of the rear hinge, the box has no were to go but up and it does real fast. As the slider goes through the middle and the screw rpm remains the same it looks slower because of the lift angle. Should design a compensator circuit gives max torque at the start, and as the amps start to drop off mid lift, it brings the voltage up to increase the screw rpm making it look more consistent . I'm sure someone on here should be able come up with a circuit. If not, I'll put some thought into it when I get into my dump build.
Rob
Now that would be sweet, if that's something you can do, just being you thought of it I'm guessing you can, than by all means!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I used the Carson sissor style unit in my King Hauler dump truck. It is very smooth and powerful plus it's speed remains constant. It's designed for their trailer so it takes a bit of modification to fit between Tamiya frame rails but I found it well worth the work.
That's what I'm planning on trying on mine, a scissor lift. Seem you get the best lift for the shortest stroke. I couldn't find it on Carson's site, have a link?

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 08-29-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Mustang is on a distinguished road

I have a devil of a time with Carson's site too. I got mine from PMD. It's in their Tamiya accessories section.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
I have a devil of a time with Carson's site too. I got mine from PMD. It's in their Tamiya accessories section.
Yup, found it, and wow, $188. Yeah, I'll be working on my own design lol. They are nice though, and certainly worth the money I'm sure.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Journeyman

FabOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mustang -

Do you have any pics or description of the mods you did to your Tamiya frame?

It would be great to see how you mounted your Carson lift.

Thanks in advance -
Terry
Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if this is entirely possible or not, but instead of an electronic solution what about a mechanical one? What I mean is perhaps a variable pitch screw of some sort. Might be an easier solution, or might not

Just thinking out loud. Anyone have thoughts?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
I'm not sure if this is entirely possible or not, but instead of an electronic solution what about a mechanical one? What I mean is perhaps a variable pitch screw of some sort. Might be an easier solution, or might not

Just thinking out loud. Anyone have thoughts?
Izzy and I have thought about that idea but the cost of having a progresive pitch tread cut would add a lot of expense to a cheap alternative to hyd cylinders.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
Izzy and I have thought about that idea but the cost of having a progresive pitch tread cut would add a lot of expense to a cheap alternative to hyd cylinders.
For a dump yes. However when you need space, the spindle would be better. For the same price in a tight model, like a say a tractor, I'd rather have the spindle even if it costs more.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranWraith View Post
For a dump yes. However when you need space, the spindle would be better. For the same price in a tight model, like a say a tractor, I'd rather have the spindle even if it costs more.
Are you talking about a tractor truck or a farm tractor.
The screwdrives we are talking about are for dump trailers or trucks or in the case of my TK70 I used it to lift the tail and deck. I am even going to use one on my tow truck and hide it and make fake cylinders to look like they are moveing it up and down.

Travis

Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

Farm tractors/front loaders. I have seen them on tractors specifically but they are similar to backhoes. There just isnt room for hydraulics and the spindles with right motor with gearhead (read small and expensive) will work.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Out of control

We are on the same page now. Yes with a tractor you run out of room quickly. You could also use small linier actuators like Izzy did on his dozer.

Travis