RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Body Shop Tech

Body Shop Tech Body mods and tricks of the trade and painting tricks here.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paint Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post

So I tried the methyl hydrate. Using the " sunroof " piece I let it soak while I was working. After 4 hrs the paint was still on but I could flake some of it off with my thumbnail no problem. After 8 hrs, no change and lots of paint still on. I left it soak overnight. No damage to plastic but what started out as promising ends incomplete and no luck.

Mario
Dang it
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Dumb question but was it clear coated? I have a cab I soaked in brake fuid for 3 days and not a flake of paint off..... then I sanded the cab in a few areas till the paint was dull looking. tried rubbing alcohol and paint finally started to come off...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Dumb question but was it clear coated? I have a cab I soaked in brake fuid for 3 days and not a flake of paint off..... then I sanded the cab in a few areas till the paint was dull looking. tried rubbing alcohol and paint finally started to come off...
I don't think it has clear coat and not sure what type of paint was used. I'm hoping to avoid sanding and don't want to wreck the rivets and detail of the cab.
I have a few more places in town to check and see if they have isopropyl alcohol with atleast 92% strength. Plan B is try the oven cleaner suggestion, plan C is just bite the bullet and buy a new cab online!

Mario
Old 03-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Thanks to another forum member its official folks! I have found the ultimate paint stripper with no effort required or damage to plastic done!
I watched a youtube video that the stuffz (dean) posted about using brake fluid. Using a DOT4 brake fluid I had amazing results!
my truck body only has one layer of paint unlike what dean was dealing with and look at the results after a 2 hour soak!

the before test pic

Using a small container I placed the edge in the brake fluid. after 2 hrs. no damage or change in the plastic and a little scrub with a tooth brush

that's the ticket folks! brake fluid DOT4 is the ultimate paint remover for your rigs!

Mario
Old 06-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have a tip I came across totally by accident. I was soaking some parts that were super glued and wanted to break the bond. I put some fingernail polish remover in an old measuring cup that I had added paint to touch up scratches, screw heads, ect. Well as the parts were soaking about 15 minutes or so, the paint lifted right off. And for the super glue, it broke the bond.

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Apprentice

MoRockN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
Well I have a tip I came across totally by accident. I was soaking some parts that were super glued and wanted to break the bond. I put some fingernail polish remover in an old measuring cup that I had added paint to touch up scratches, screw heads, ect. Well as the parts were soaking about 15 minutes or so, the paint lifted right off. And for the super glue, it broke the bond.

Big John
The finger nail polish remover wasn't a tip???. But you have to be carful with that, it will mess up the plastic and warp it.

If you got it, a Trucker brought it....
Old 07-24-2017, 03:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

All methods mentioned here are better than what I wold have done. I have a small, hobby grade, hand sand blaster, that's specifically market to remove pain from models & the like. I fear that it may cause damage to the fine details though. For that reason I've never used it.