RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Tamiya Rep

janderson will become famous soon enoughjanderson will become famous soon enough
Default Carson Goldhofer Trailer

So I was looking for a trailer to put behind my Grand Hauler. I had a unpainted Carson Goldhofer collecting rust here at work. I said its low and painted flat black it could go well.

So I figured it would be a good start, it will not have motorized legs but for now it will be a good match.

The one thing I did not care for was the rear ramps being manual, I have seen some motorized with homemade gear but no real detail on how it was done besides a very few images.

So I figured I will give it a shot.

I will be using one of our Tamiya planetary gearboxes and some creativity.

I hope you enjoy and it helps others

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by janderson; 03-27-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Tamiya Rep

janderson will become famous soon enoughjanderson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Carson Goldhofer Trailer

So you can see I have the planetary gearbox built

I picked up some all thread and used some old stainless breakline with a nut JBwelded to create my screw drive.

You can also see I have painted the trailer flat black

-->

Old 03-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Tamiya Rep

Mocking up placement, you can also see that there are a few wafers removed. You can adjust the gear ratio but removing or adding wafers.

-->

Old 03-27-2015, 05:03 PM
Tamiya Rep

Created a mounting plate for the gearbox.

-->

Old 03-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Tamiya Rep

Painted ramps

Ramps mounted

I will go into more detail later on the hole design here.

-->

Old 03-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Tamiya Rep

Electronics

12v 4ch wireless switch

7.2v to 12v step up board

Box for step up board

-->

Old 03-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

more info needed about the 7.2 to 12 volt step up
i got the carson dropdeck from tam usa love it..
Old 03-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Tamiya Rep

Well I picked it up from amazon, I imagine there are more than just this one. But Amazon gives me free 2day shipping and great returns with prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its more than just 7.2 to 12v, it is fully adjustable with the small blue onboard pot. The readout shows your voltage both input and output by pressing the micro onboard micro button.

-->

Old 04-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Tamiya Rep

Be warned I have gone through two of those step-ups so far. There are reviews on amazon that they can burn up easily. I am looking into other options as well. Luckily with prime membership I just returned them for refunds.

-->

Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 AM

1strodeo is on a distinguished road

I saw Goldhofer and I was expecting to see a modular trailer,, Anyone ever built one?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 AM

Location: Mostly a little world of my own but otherwise in the Bolton area in the North West of England
Serviceguyuk is on a distinguished road

Great work. I share your annoyance about manual ramps and was wondering how to get over it.

Now I know . . . . .

I would say about your step up module that all electronics are twitchy about over-voltages and equally under-voltages although the former is most likely to fry your unit when you first fire it up. Maybe as it's only for the ramps without any real load consider a continuous servo with micro limit switches rather than your excellent gearbox idea. Might be cheaper too as it's all stock parts for just a few bucks

Just a thought and trying to help . . . . .

BTW how do I get a job like yours ? ? ? ? ? ?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Tamiya Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serviceguyuk View Post
Great work. I share your annoyance about manual ramps and was wondering how to get over it.

Now I know . . . . .

I would say about your step up module that all electronics are twitchy about over-voltages and equally under-voltages although the former is most likely to fry your unit when you first fire it up. Maybe as it's only for the ramps without any real load consider a continuous servo with micro limit switches rather than your excellent gearbox idea. Might be cheaper too as it's all stock parts for just a few bucks

Just a thought and trying to help . . . . .

BTW how do I get a job like yours ? ? ? ? ? ?
Thanks for the post, this project kind of got put on hold for now, but it was working fine. The biggest issue I was running into was the lines that fold the ramps.

The stock ones got worn out so I had to hunt down some new lines that did not stretch. Once I did that I was working out the lengths and adjustments to get the ramp-ends to fold again. I was making some good progress.

As far as the gearbox and electronics, everything was working well for me.

I will update this thread when I resume the project.

As far as getting a job like mine, 1st you would need to be in the USA.

-->

Old 05-22-2015, 04:02 AM

Location: Mostly a little world of my own but otherwise in the Bolton area in the North West of England
Serviceguyuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson View Post

As far as getting a job like mine, 1st you would need to be in the USA.
I lived in the big easy a few years ago but had to come home.

Does that count ? ? ?

Keep up the good work matey
Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Tamiya Rep

Ok, found some time and needed to get away in the man cave. Here are some updates.

Replaced the voltage step-up unit and this one is working nicely.

Added a clear coat to wood and a rotating beacon light to ramp bottom.

-->

Old 06-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Tamiya Rep

A couple more updates

-->

Old 06-05-2015, 09:51 PM

Wiskybilt is on a distinguished road

You really have the trailer looking good, now send us a video with some action😎
Old 06-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Tamiya Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskybilt View Post
You really have the trailer looking good, now send us a video with some action😎
Video will come when I get it buttoned up a bit more.

-->

Old 06-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Wannabe

Mustang46555 is on a distinguished road

Your trailer is looking really good so far. I've been following this thread with a lot of interest as I just picked up a used Goldhofer and am starting to rebuild it. Mine was in pretty good shape except for the ramps. One of the plastic pieces that bolt to the end of the ramp was broken and all the cylinders were removed. I machined new hinges from aluminum but am struggling with the cylinders. The manual I found lists one as A the other as B. How do you know the difference? I don't want to hijack your thread but any help would really be appreciated as I'm having a heck of a time getting the ramp ends working.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:06 PM
Tamiya Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Your trailer is looking really good so far. I've been following this thread with a lot of interest as I just picked up a used Goldhofer and am starting to rebuild it. Mine was in pretty good shape except for the ramps. One of the plastic pieces that bolt to the end of the ramp was broken and all the cylinders were removed. I machined new hinges from aluminum but am struggling with the cylinders. The manual I found lists one as A the other as B. How do you know the difference? I don't want to hijack your thread but any help would really be appreciated as I'm having a heck of a time getting the ramp ends working.
I do not have it infront of me here, but the difference (for lack of a better description)is one pushes and one pulls.

It's all based on the spring location inside shock unit.

A= is the collapsed unit that you have to pull against spring
B= is a sprung unit that you have to push against spring to shorten.

Hope that helps.

-->

Old 06-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Tamiya Rep

Some updated photos. Working on some smaller details at the moment.

-->