RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New MAN 8X8 Dump Truck With Pup

Well This isn't a new build so to speak but it is new to me. I recently traded a couple rigs and got this pretty cool MAN dump truck in return. It looks great and is well built, but I've decided I want to add some of my own personal touches to it and redo a few things. First starts inspection after shipping which seemed good except one fender mount got broke in transit: no biggie, nothing a little glue can't fix for now.

So I opened her up and started looking at the under frame and realized there were two frames spliced together and a bunch of rivets. I'm not a big fan of rivets and especially not in a scale model so there began my gears turning to make new rails all one piece for this truck. I kept going and found out there are a ton of wires in the cab to the mfc so I have some research in the book to do to see how everything works and what radio I should go with but for now that is a side note till I rebuild the frame.

Anyways enough of the chit chat, here are some pics of the truck as I received it and hopefully I can get it broke down and some new rails built soon and have this big guy running again. I sure can't wait to drive this beast with all four axles powered and pulling a load.

Nest of wires under the cab.

And the broken fender mount.

Well now that I have some pics up I can't wait to get started on the truck again, so back to the work bench to start getting things separated and start mocking up the new rails.

Thanks for looking guys and lemme know what you think.

Tyler
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: New MAN 8X8 Dump Truck With Pup

P.S. What would be a good radio to run with the mfu to get all the functions out of it that I could use for this truck and also use on my Pete build when I get it ready for electronics? I'm not running an mfu in the Pete only steering servo, 5th wheel servo and motor along with a couple switched circuits for lights on.

I'd like something 2.4ghz and at least 6-8ch I think?

Lemme know what you guys are using in your trucks if possible and hopefully I can get one in a week or two.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Apprentice

trucker n is on a distinguished road

rds 8000
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Neil, I forgot thats the radio you'd mentioned before. I'm headed over to tower to order it now I believe.

Tyler.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Green Horn

mack kid is on a distinguished road

Sharp looking truck. do you have any pics of the pup
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Journeyman

I will get some pics up soon of the pup. It's currently down under the bench since this new truck takes up almost my whole work area!!!

Tyler
Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

That truck looks killer Tyler!! Im not a big fan of the Man's but one with a dump looks pretty cool. I cant wait to see what you do to it redoing the frame and getting rid of all those rivits. Cant wait to see it with the pup on it! What kind of lift does it have? screwdrive or hyd?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
That truck looks killer Tyler!! Im not a big fan of the Man's but one with a dump looks pretty cool. I cant wait to see what you do to it redoing the frame and getting rid of all those rivits. Cant wait to see it with the pup on it! What kind of lift does it have? screwdrive or hyd?
The truck came without any lift mechanism but judging by the whole under side covered in oil I'm gonna say it must have had a hydraulic unit on it to begin with. I however will be making an all electric system and using a self made electric actuator to lift the bed and hopefully build a working rear gate that is remote operational.

Anywho, got the body off tonight and started tidying up the wiring and read up on the mfu along with got my radio ordered so hopefully early next week I can get this truck back together in better shape and get some video of it in action.

Also wondering if anyone has any ideas as to where I can get a cheap set of replacement fenders. The cheapest I've found is a set on flea bay for $46+ shipping and I'm thinking that seems like over kill. If anyone has a set hit me up I'd like to fix this rig all at once. :roll eyes:

Thanks for looking and I'll get some progress pics for everyone tomorrow.

Tyler
Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Swiss Cheese

Well I got a little time to work on the new truck today so I decided to get the frame torn down and get the axles cleaned up and remove all the oil off the model. I started taking parts off and realized that I was getting hungry but I couldn't figure out why at first, then it hit me!!! The frame looked like a piece of swiss cheese. I couldn't believe how many holes were in the frame rails but that's ok as I've got a set of Ric's rails coming and I should be rolling on a new frame around wednesday hopefully.

After I got everything disassembled I decided to take the axles outside and soak them in degreaser and get as much gunk off of them as I could before I got all the new parts to start the rebuild. It took me about an hour to get them all cleaned up well but now they look much better and smell purdy too. I decided while everything was out I'd go ahead and pull the axles apart add new grease and lock the two rear axles yet leave the fronts open so I would have better turning possibly.

Anyways I've gotten quite a bit done today and now it's pretty much just waiting for my new radio to come in tomorrow so I can start figuring out the mfu and then mid week getting the frame built and assembling it all before the weekend. I hope to have atleast a driving truck by friday or saturday and possibly get some video of the mfu working.

Now it's time to start planning a new dump mechanism for the rear that won't leak hydraulic oil all over everything.

Thanks for looking and lemme know what you guys think so far.
Tyler
Old 07-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Green Horn

mack kid is on a distinguished road

Man thats a lot of holes makes me chuckle. cant wait see er done keep pics coming
Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Looks like swiss cheese Tyler. Did you throw the frame in the bath too? Cant wait to see how this one turns out!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack kid View Post
Man thats a lot of holes makes me chuckle. cant wait see er done keep pics coming
Ya, I couldn't believe all the holes once I got to inspecting the frame after the body was off. I'm not sure what all the extras were for but I plan to have less than 20 holes in the entire frame once complete. There are currently more than that in a 1/4 of the current one.

Quote:
Looks like swiss cheese Tyler. Did you throw the frame in the bath too? Cant wait to see how this one turns out!
The frame did not see a bath Aaron as it will only be a piece for the scrap pile once I get the new rails built. It's currently leaned up under the bench waiting to be sent to the scrap after I figure out what few holes I will really need for the build.

Thanks for the compliments guys and I'll have some pics for ya later. I got all the wheels painted up to match and all the running gear is all cleaned up and ready to go on a new frame.

Tyler
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 AM

So is it done yet?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Journeyman

Ha Ha not quite yet Aaron. I did get the radio in today and got is set up so now all I have to do is build my rails for it tomorrow when they get here from Ric and then she will be back to a roller and all tided up. I can't wait to get this beast rolling again and put it to work outside. This is going to be my first actually running truck as my King is still being built into my dream Peterbilt. Very long project on that one but it's well worth it.

Tyler
Old 08-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Journeyman

Well now that you have all seen what the truck started life in my hands as, here are some updated shots of my progress from yesterday and a little bit this morning.

Trucks new stance and back together minus rear fenders.

New one piece frame rails with very minimal holes drilled.

Very clean servo mount and NO RIVETS!!!

And now for the cleaned up cab and wiring mess all gone.

And only one wire loop you can see through the windshield but I'll have that fixed in no time.

Now all I have left to do is install the fenders when they get here and start mocking up for the new dump bed and lift mechanism then it should be smooth sailing from here on out. I plans to make a low side dump like originally on it and also build a new dolly for it to tow.

Thanks for looking and lemme know what you guys think of the progress.

Tyler
Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Nice and clean! Looks much better Tyler. Love those rear tires. Stance looks good!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Great work on the upgrades ,looking good Tyler
Will be doing some heavy pulling soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Great work on the upgrades ,looking good Tyler
Will be doing some heavy pulling soon.
Thanks for the compliments bud, I love the way your oil field truck turned out as well.

Anyways I got a little time this week to work on installing the fenders on the MAN and never got around to posting up the pics so here is the truck now with it's new fenders on and ready for side tanks and battery compartments. I also have to figure out what I'm going to use for the dump lift but I'm not sure what direction it's going at the moment so it's still up in the air for any suggestions you guys may have. :roll eyes:

Here are some new pics for you guys.

And now for the tricky steering fender.

Thanks for looking guys and lemme know if you have any ideas for the dump.

Tyler
Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Is it dumping yet???
Old 09-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Is it dumping yet???
Hey Aaron, this truck is running and parked for right now. I have set it on the back burner while I take some time to work on a couple of other trucks I have here and also getting my tractor re wired and finished up now. I should hopefully start up on this truck in a week or two after the other two trucks are up and running. (All fingers crossed)

Thanks for the interest though.

Tyler