RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Clubs/Groups and Events > South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association

South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association This is the place for the South Western Ontario Model Truckers Association to post their events and discussions.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 AM
Apprentice

Mama Sue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: clifford show roadway project

Whitewolf is correct Shawn, all you would need is an enhanced drivers license to go to Indy. You can apply for it anytime of the year, not just on renewal. There is a fee and if you are driving to anywhere in the states its a viable substitute for a passport..This is what I use. I can give you the info if you want.

I like the puzzle idea for the roadway system too..You can get a few pieces out of a sheet of plywood, less weight to travel with, more road to drive on...What if we had a tarp that we could lay under the pieces? Just my 2 cents-which isn't worth much anymore as the Canadian mint isnt making pennies anymore..lol

Susan
Old 03-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Green Horn

Goose19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sue View Post
Just my 2 cents-which isn't worth much anymore as the Canadian mint isnt making pennies anymore..lol

Susan
LOL!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

Sue,

Thats a good idea. Mebbe even combine the two, both mowing the lawn under it, THEN putting the tarp down? Plus having a mowed section around the outer edge might keep the younguns a bit back, or not...

My dad has one of those push-mowers, if I can make it, and we can't secure a power one, bet I could borrow it. Be a bit of a job, but it'd get done!

How big is the planned layout? As for sources, can we borrow one (know some of ya might have sources) or do we buy the tarps (Princess Auto often has huge ones on sale)

I dunno what my summer is like, but I'm going to try to make it. Haven't met any of the tankers or truckers, and would like ~someone~ that can vouch that I'm ~real~

PS: Put in your two-cents-worth twice, then its worth 4, and they round up!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Hey all. I found a reasonably priced tent that can cover 20X24 ft. Sure would help give some cover from that wicked hot sun like last year

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1152473

Mario
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Green Horn

civic83 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone managed to find any affordable plywood to use? I was at Lowes last night and they have some 3/8 sheathing for 17.45 a sheet. Im thinking it would work well, plus its cheap and light. we could layer the old particle board roadway under it for support? Let me know guys, we need to purchase this stuff and get it layed out soon.!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Green Horn

Also, if Mario and Sue want to chip in, Just send me the cash and Ill purchase the sheets here and get them painted up.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic83 View Post
Also, if Mario and Sue want to chip in, Just send me the cash and Ill purchase the sheets here and get them painted up.
Sounds good Shawn. PM sent for details.

Mario
Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Green Horn

Hold on a sec...

For that price you could get corrugated plastic sheet (think election signs/lawn signs/etc.) same 4' x8' size, and if you're gonna put a frame of sorts under it, like 2"x2", heck, the sheets are MUCH lighter.

Just a thought.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Green Horn

REV73 is on a distinguished road

whitewolf, where are you from exactly??
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Green Horn

Where can these sheets be purchased?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Green Horn

Ottawa. wrong end of the lower province.

As for the sheets, look in Rona, Home Depot, or one other odd place: the local moving companies that sell boxes and sheet corrugated cardboard to make your own boxes.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Green Horn

So, last years road consisted of 19 4x8 sheets, if we use the stuff I found at 17.45 a sheet, it would come to 331.55 for the roads, I suggest we also use last years stuff under this, but stager the sheets so the joints on the bottom layer are in the middle of the top sheets. I figure that should make it pretty solid. we can drive screws down through the top sheets into the lower ones. If we expand the layout like mario suggested, we would need to add another 13 sheets, for an additional 226.85, plus we would need to buy a few sheets of the stuff we used last year ( or equivalent) to layer underneath.

i suggest due to cost we keep it the same as last year for this time, and add the gravel areas and inspection station to the edges. Then, next year add more road.

whats everyones thoughts? Who all is in for splitting up the cost? I know Mario and I are in, are any of the other ontario guys interested in coming?, goose, whitewolf, ect?

One more thing, If anyone needs shirts, let me know, I suggest light colours, the black was deadly in the sun last year lol. What about hats? I might be able to get some of them too.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Green Horn

Civic,

I'll try to make it, but I probably won't know until the week before. The ups and downs of Crohns and all (*sigh*)

Whats it like for cheap accomodations down there? If I had to, I could sack out on an air-mattress in a pup-tent, long as weather is decent.

As for the roadway patching, why not cut the worst 4x8's into 4x2's, and use 'em as lap-joints under/between the 4x8's. Only thing there is that they wouldn't support the whole roadway being double-thick. Hence the 2x2 'frames' idea...

And if you had the funds and bought a load of the corrugated plastic in-bulk, you might get a discount. Worth asking. (I don't say 'we', as I don't consider myself a member until I show up and contribute) Benefit of the plastic is it won't warp with the moisture like the wood will. Hey, maybe use it as the underlayer? (just tossing more ideas...)

As for getting the plastic 'gratis' off-season, watch for local elections. Any-time after 20:00 on election night, on public property, the signs are fair game. I've got two 4x8's and a number of smaller pieces here in 'storage'. Getting them to Clifford on my roof would probably wreck 'em without some bracing ('06 Ford Focus Wagon)

If I come, and its done, I'll try to bring my 'bridge' that was started for my 1/16 tanks (at least one will be load on my Goldhofer, if its done (Canada Post says its in Customs now... Whee!) I'll also bring my cheapie Bruder one that I have. Just gotta get the beasts running... *sigh*

WhiteWolf
Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

As much as we would all love a bigger course. I think we should stick with last years layout for now. After all, the road can only be as big as the club eh?
More members, more interest equals more road in the future.

Mario
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Green Horn

I agree Mario, we can add boards to the sides for your gravel area easy enough this year, as well as one for staging the trucks on and off the layout. next year we can double it up and have some real fun!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Green Horn

REV73 is on a distinguished road

I agree with the thought that we basically stick with what we had last year with the addition of a few extra pieces. we also have to remember that this all takes a lot of time to set up not to mention that someone has to lug it all over hells half acre, and with it being just a one day show that makes for a ton of work both before and after the event. Dwayne, is there a chance that the truck club could maybe help us out a bit with the purchase of some material. And are there any other shows besides the one that I am organizing that we could look at taking part in...I would like to get out to the masses more if possible...thoughts.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Green Horn

Rev, and anyone else who ~knows~,

One day show? The listing online says Friday-Sunday, 28-30th of June. Is the display only for one day (I assume the Saturday) Also, any fees for us new people (not counting any contributions to the roadway fund) as that needs to be factored into the 'bill'.

Discounts on accomodations, freebies if any; whats the whole 'arrangement' with the people there? I'm on a budget (like a quite a few of us here) so these Details can make or break a long distance outing.

I mapped it out in Google, its a chunk further than the Ancaster event: out 416/401 and then up 6 & west on 9, 615kms & 6+h vs 525km & 5h to the Ancaster event.

Details, its all in the details. And, importantly, RAIN. Has anyone checked an almanac to see what the weather is ~supposed~ to be like that weekend? And do we have an alternate inside location ~if~ Nature decides to 'take a leak' on us?

WhiteWolf
- who's starting to feel the heat (25c up here this week, *whine*)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Green Horn

whitewolf, theres no fees, you get into the show for free when you arrive tell them your with the swomta model truck display. We only do the saturday mostly because of time comittments. There are no other discounts or anything in the town as far as I know, but they do offer onsite camping facilities.

Anyone who is coming for sure gets a free swomta tshirt and hat (provided by me), altho like you mentioned donations to help fund the club are appreciated.

If the event gets rained out unfortunately theres very little we can do about that, it would suck!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Green Horn

That reminds me, anyone needing a new swomta shirt ( they are the same style as last year) pm me with names and sizes, also let me know if you would like a hat, im having some ball caps made up!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

you need to let me or shawn know if you are coming and shawn can tell me so i can let them know .you might have to pay to get in but you will be reimbursed back that same day ,if its like it was last year but if i or someone is there to verify you like shawn or any of us they will probably just waive the fee.the prez got back to me if you are wondering about camping you need to contact Joanne Zurbrigg at 519-335-6448 ,there is a few hotels in the area you can stay(at your cost) and they have taxi service to and from the grounds.the best for all to do is google clifford ontario hotels and motels and get a list of them and call them to reserve a room ,they do sell out very quickly as people come from all over for this event,even from the usa.they had a list of the hotels and motels that have accomodations but i never thought to pick one up .if you do go i will make sure anyone gets one for future reference.as mike said there are no freebies or discounts of any ,you just get in for free if you are part of the r/c truck display/course.if you require any more info.pm me and i can try to help you as best i can ..thank you and hope to see a large group this year