RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD Dump Truck - Take II

I haven't worked on this truck for months which is not good. Since the weekend was my "B-day weekend" but I still needed to work on customer stuff I decided to work on this. I bought a used foot shear a couple of weeks ago so I have been eager to use it and get the hang of it. I started out by shearing some strips and then bending them into frame rails. I mounted up stock front suspension and chucked in some plastic cross members to get the overall width right. I then started to make my own cross members. I will likely be making my own suspension for both ends of this truck so that it looks more like the 1:1. I also built the front bumper for the truck although the front part of the frame is not cut to length yet.

Thanks for looking
Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Way to go Reg! Soon you will be making everything!
Cheers, Neil.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

I'm amazed thanks mike
Old 06-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Reg,

Very cool! Any tricks to making the matching dies? Do you just turn the second one to match the dimensions of the first, less the amount of allowance for the stock to be stamped?

And, would you mind posting a picture of the modified end mill you use to make the oval holes? I'm not sure I understand how you are doing that.

Thanks for all the info!

Jim
Old 06-18-2015, 11:20 PM

Wiskybilt is on a distinguished road

Reg

You might try a little cutting lube or cool mist to keep the heat down on your tooling. Sometimes just step in and out also. The heat and friction is causing the gaulding. The truck is looking great. Did you press stamp the center part of the wheel or spin form it?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Way to go Reg! Soon you will be making everything!
Cheers, Neil.
Thanks Neil. I think I am nearly at that point or at least I was with my 850KW. Sometimes it just isn't worth the time to build all your own parts and other times it is. I guess that is determined by the time available and the uniqueness of the parts needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
I'm amazed thanks mike
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Reg,

Very cool! Any tricks to making the matching dies? Do you just turn the second one to match the dimensions of the first, less the amount of allowance for the stock to be stamped?

And, would you mind posting a picture of the modified end mill you use to make the oval holes? I'm not sure I understand how you are doing that.

Thanks for all the info!

Jim
Hey Jim, I just machined the dies to be close by eye. I squished out a couple of test pieces and then made some mods. Tried it again and it was good enough I thought. I will post a picture of the endmill later. I just rounded the corners on a regular cutter. Nothing special at all just some trial and error to get the right cut for the oval hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskybilt View Post
Reg

You might try a little cutting lube or cool mist to keep the heat down on your tooling. Sometimes just step in and out also. The heat and friction is causing the gaulding. The truck is looking great. Did you press stamp the center part of the wheel or spin form it?
I use alcohol now and it works very well. No mess as it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue... It also makes me feel like I'm doing a better job when I'm half cut.lol Just kidding.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

It's been months since I've worked on this and I need to get moving on it so this afternoon I made some parts for the front end of the frame. I am going to add more detail to this truck than I did on my own. I want the frame to look less Tamiya and more mini Hayes HD so I have a lot of machining to do yet just to mount the front axle.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Wannabe

up9018 is on a distinguished road

Nice metal work, looks really good. By your You-Tube videos, you have plenty of work for this truck to do.

Chris
Old 09-23-2015, 08:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Chris. This one isn't for me. I am building it for a friend of mine. His Dad bought the real truck new in 59' and it is in the process of being restored. The one I am building will be it's little brother.

A bit of an update from today. I built the front spring mount cross member today. It is held together with 0-80 bolts. I am amazed with how strong this is now! It doesn't flex at all up front and I still have more holes to drill and tap further along the frame.

This isn't Scale Art quality but it will be more detailed than the Hayes I built for myself.

I started out with this scrap of 1/2"

and ended up with this after a couple of hours.

In all I put close to 8 hours into the front end today. It doesn't look like much progress but it takes a while to get things right. Well ALMOST right. I plan to make the rear hangers next and then will make the axle, spindles and springs.

Reg
Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Your one of a kind for a friend builds are the best Reg. really looking forward to this one. I'd get some popcorn ready but will probably choke on it as my jaw drops looking at the pics.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 PM

link7267@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

Very nice detail. I have used alcohol for a very long time. learned at a machine shop that the alcohol cools better then anything else on aluminum for cutting or drilling milling tapping.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Your one of a kind for a friend builds are the best Reg. really looking forward to this one. I'd get some popcorn ready but will probably choke on it as my jaw drops looking at the pics.
No choking my friend! My biggest struggle right now is finding good pictures of the pieces I need to make. The real truck is 3 hours away(one way) so I can't just go and look at it. Originally we were just going to use Tamiya running gear so I didn't take very many pictures of the suspension components. I want to create something here that no one else will ever have so I need to make everything I can from scratch. In the end I hope it will turn out well. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by link7267@yahoo.com View Post
Very nice detail. I have used alcohol for a very long time. learned at a machine shop that the alcohol cools better then anything else on aluminum for cutting or drilling milling tapping.
Yep, it works awesome and evaporates very quickly with no mess. It just makes sense to use it on parts that will be painted, powder coated or glued as it leaves no oily residue. I can see how running coolant on production equipment would be better but for me building small parts it's perfect.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

ONLY 8 hours on the front end parts?? Looks like it should be a lot more to me. Making 1 off parts is a work of art for anyone if done correctly. And you do it RIGHT!!! GREAT job
Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Very mice job Reg looks great keep up the good work.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys. Well another day of my life spent in the shop.lol

After several hours of the day standing half bent over in front of my mill and the other half running over to the shop computer to look at pictures and back again I have this...One custom, hand machined Hayes HD front axle.

I like how bead blasting almost makes it look cast.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

That is amazing! Nice work as always Reg
Old 09-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Hayes HD Dump Truck - Take II

A true fabricator hats off of to you Reg
Old 09-25-2015, 07:01 PM

jasonthekid is on a distinguished road

This is awesome. Will you be machining drive axles too? I am always impressed by your craftsmanship.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks a bunch guys. Yes I hope to make the rear axles as well. I am not holding myself to it at this point but I don't think it's worth doing the work one one end and not the other. I started machining parts for the rear suspsension a while back. I also cut the rear springs at that time. Once the front is finished I will do the rear suspension and make a plan from there. I've scratch built diffs before so it's not impossible.

I made the spindles this morning. I had to do some work outside the shop this afternoon so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped but at least the wheels are back on. The spindles aren't all that scale but at least they are setup for the steering like a real Hayes.

I started with this chunk of plate and a crappy outline of what I wanted.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I made up the new leaf springs yesterday. I have some small pattern nuts coming and a die to cut threads on the U bolts. I will spend more time straightening the U bolts up after they are threaded. I also started to fit the fenders I bent up months ago....