RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bruder Cat Compactor Coversion

Haha, you guys crack me up. Everything is a challenge for me! Generally my biggest challenge is getting stuff done in a timely fashion. I spend too much time fiddling with stuff to get it how I think it should be. Most of the time it would work just as well if it were built more simple. Oh well, that's what makes my stuff so great right?

Here's a few pictures while a test video is uploading.

There's always a gratuitous Beaver shot for Bo... vibrators and beavers Here we go again...

Weight of the vibrator assembly

Some dirt shots

Test video to follow shortly!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road

Great job as always Reg!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Brandon. Here's the first full on dirt test. https://youtu.be/8sPC6El7xpk I'm only running 4 AA batteries (6v)because it was the only thing I could make up quickly to fit under the hood. If I decide to keep this setup I will add a few ounces of weight to the rear to aid traction. Even still I think it works fairly well and on topsoil it will probably work even better.

Reg
Old 03-04-2016, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

How strong is the sidewall of the tire for packing it BBs... big tires like those you'd be close to 2lbs a piece.

Joe
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tires are very soft if the foams are removed. They are 1.9 tires and I have installed 2.2 foams like I did in my loader tires. That gives them an almost perfect squish. You could add a little weight to them but filling them with lead would be too heavy. I think pushing this model up to 10+ pounds is a bad idea. Making it a lot heavier will no doubt aid traction but then you would need to add more to the front or it would push the roller sideways in a turn. Add more there and the steering servo and drive motors would be too weak. A little larger battery and a few ounces of weight will get it going a little better without taxing the drive train. It got great traction with a standard 7.2V pack so I will adjust the weight of mine to roughly match that and call it good. You have to keep in mind that it is just a plastic toy and not a full metal machine.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

What's your thoughts on powering the front drum? That would seem to resolve the traction problems if its possible.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes I think powering the front drum would more than solve the traction issue completely. It's just all about time and cost. How much does someone want to spend on a toy like this? Powering the front drum would require some big changes to the drum itself and the frame(at least in my mind). I'm not saying that it would be a bad idea but then this thing is going to cost a lot more. Maybe someone would pay $1500US for it but I don't know? We tried to do these at a lower cost so I have to stop somewhere and be satisfied with the results.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Maybe you need another test area ship it my way and I'll put it to the test. are you sure you never want to make another?
Old 03-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well your place is a little flatter Mario. I think your soil has less rock in it too. Maybe you do need one for testing purposes...
Old 03-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Bruder Cat Compactor Coversion

I think Reg need to ship more than the Bruder Cat Compactor Conversion....
How about ship all of you to Marios super event in august.....
Old 03-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Well your place is a little flatter Mario. I think your soil has less rock in it too. Maybe you do need one for testing purposes...
There is no rock in my soil at all. It would be interesting to see compaction after a few passes. Of course I would take care of the float cost to get it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Wallen View Post
I think Reg need to ship more than the Bruder Cat Compactor Conversion....
How about ship all of you to Marios super event in august.....
If your gonna dream, may as well be in colour I always say.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

i can haul that little roller for you mario, no prob
Old 03-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

reg if were going to drive from the east coast of the usa then you could drive from the wet coast
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road

Hey Reg found another video. They really look like fun models you can hear the vibrator working

http://youtu.be/Sw9oMebOnfY
Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Maybe I can put myself in a container and be trucked out east?lol I just need to get about 10K worth of orders to be picked up at Mario's and I'll make he drive.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Maybe I can put myself in a container and be trucked out east?lol I just need to get about 10K worth of orders to be picked up at Mario's and I'll make he drive.
Ok everyone, you heard the man. Get your wallets out and start placing orders for the 2016 RCP summer editions !
Old 05-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Green Horn

Cat966c is on a distinguished road

Great model rcp! Couple questions: on the vibratory assembly, how does one connect (as it looks like you did) a motor without battery/esc leads to the battery and stuff? Like just a general rc motor with no wires attached?
And if you need to get a connector to do that, where do you get them (or what category do I search on rc shops) and, to be honest, what are the connectors in general (I know: lol ����)? General stuff like: if I have two motors, how do I connect them to ONE terminal? I think I've seen a Y connector? And what type of wires do you use and which ones for which motor and where do I get them and, come to think of it, how's the voltage of a motor match up with an esc and battery???Please Help! Lol
Thanks!

Last edited by Cat966c; 05-18-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat966c View Post
Great model rcp! Couple questions: on the vibratory assembly, how does one connect (as it looks like you did) a motor without battery/esc leads to the battery and stuff? Like just a general rc motor with no wires attached?
And if you need to get a connector to do that, where do you get them (or what category do I search on rc shops) and, to be honest, what are the connectors in general (I know: lol ����)? General stuff like: if I have two motors, how do I connect them to ONE terminal? I think I've seen a Y connector? And what type of wires do you use and which ones for which motor and where do I get them and, come to think of it, how's the voltage of a motor match up with an esc and battery???Please Help! Lol
Thanks!
Thanks,

No fancy tricks there. The vibrator motor is wired up just like all of the others. It runs off of an RC switch rather than an esc so it is only on or off.

I'm not positive of what you mean with two motors on one terminal but if you want to run two off of one esc just make your own Y harness. Speaker wire works well for smaller brushed motor hook ups. It can be found everywhere and it's reasonably priced. I use smaller wire on the tiny motors that drive my tarps and operate the blades on these rollers. You asked on the other loader thread about wiring multiple motors to one esc. It's easy, just wire them so that one side of the machines motor connections are +/- and the other is -/+ otherwise it will go in circles. Connect those wires to the +/- coming out of your esc and your good!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Green Horn

Cat966c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks,

No fancy tricks there. The vibrator motor is wired up just like all of the others. It runs off of an RC switch rather than an esc so it is only on or off.

I'm not positive of what you mean with two motors on one terminal but if you want to run two off of one esc just make your own Y harness. Speaker wire works well for smaller brushed motor hook ups. It can be found everywhere and it's reasonably priced. I use smaller wire on the tiny motors that drive my tarps and operate the blades on these rollers. You asked on the other loader thread about wiring multiple motors to one esc. It's easy, just wire them so that one side of the machines motor connections are +/- and the other is -/+ otherwise it will go in circles. Connect those wires to the +/- coming out of your esc and your good!
Bueno, Bueno, Bueno!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!! That help ALOT.
But I'm not out of the woods yet. Speaking more on wiring small brushed motors: so I just take speaker wire from the hardware store and connect the positive and negative and so on?
And about the rc switch: what's the deal with those? What are they exactly? Does having an esc rather than a switch make the motor have variable speed?
Sorry for the peppering, but I'm soooo close to getting it.