RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:17 PM

dozerbuilder is on a distinguished road
Default Russian ChTz T-800 1/16th scale Bulldozer model

I've completed the dozer. Here are the field test videos. #1 is a walk-around and #2 is 17 minutes filmed at a coal mine. Quite fitting since this machine was designed ripping and mass-dozing work.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:59 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Russian ChTz T-800 1/16th scale Bulldozer model

No link to video?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftmys10 View Post
No link to video?
Yeah well I just spent half-an hour setting up all the pics and text and links only to have the board bomb me out for exceeding 20 minutes on save. Grrrrate.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 AM

Anyway I can't be bothered doing all that work all over again if it's gonna bomb me out for exceeding 20 mins.

Here's the vids.
https://youtu.be/McxEmBQQzOM

https://youtu.be/2u0fJL94y5Q
Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

Nice dozer even with only able to see 2 minutes of your videos (slow internet).

Looks like a substantial machine. How much does it weigh? Materials made of ... you know the usual details for us nosey parkers
Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 AM

This is a 1-16th scale model of the Russian ChTZ T-800 (T.75.01) bulldozer with tilt-blade and ripper. First, a little history. The 1:1 machine sits in between the D11N and D11T or just under the D475-5 for a size comparison, weighs 106 tons with blade and ripper and has an 820hp engine. It was made in the early 1980’s and at the time, was the largest crawler tractor in the world. At present, it still remains the largest crawler tractor to be manufactured on the European continent. It’s not a widely known machine outside Europe since only eight or nine were built and was not sold outside Russia. They were built specifically for ripping frozen ground and rock in the diamond mines in Russia. Blasting was not used there because it caused fractures in the diamonds so big crawler tractors with rippers were used.

The model is designed in a Russian CAD program by my friend Sergey in Russia with help and consultation and photos from my other friend in Russia, Vitaly. So I want to make it clear I did not design the model, it was designed from the original machine by Sergey in the Russian KOMPAS 3D CAD. From those drawings I made DXF files myself and had the parts laser cut in metal and some parts made in 3D SLA printing. That was quite a job in itself. The plans and drawings took about 400 hours then the build took at least 2000 hours from start to present day. Quite a lot of small engineering work such as the draft arm trunnions and trunnion balls were made by small engineering job shops. A fabrication shop rolled the blade and TIG-welded the sub-assemblies, blade, ripper and frame tub. Their journeyman sheet metal worker Chris did a brilliant job of rolling the blade curves from my drawings, on rollers and a bender. He also did a nice job on all the intricate TIG welding. The blade curve radius drawings took me a month and countless cardboard models to get right. There are three radii in that blade with a tri-planar curve on each side.

The model is 830mm long, 393 mm wide at the corner tips and weighs 27.3kg. It has RC control using a Turnigy 9XR Pro 8 channel radio, power is by 2 x 25Amp 12volt dc motors of 190 rpm with a final drive reduction of 4:1 at the sprockets. Battery is a 12v 12Ah SLA. Motor controllers are one DE 2x32 for the drive and two DE 2x5’s for the blade and ripper respectively. The speed is controlled by RC to the correct scale, 0-1.25km forward and 0-14 kph in reverse. Final drive is simplex chain drive to 8mm drive shafts. The frame is all welded 3mm steel sheet. The 8 per-side twin bottom rollers have pre-loaded suspension rated 15kg each. The blade and ripper are operated by screw actuators. The blade tilts though that cannot be seen in the videos since I changed the RC mixing because the actuators can’t handle opposing forces. I am working on some heavy duty screw-type actuators to replace the lot once and for all. The model can push or pull 15.7kg at traction break tested with a digital bag scale.

The videos were made by me at a closed down coal mine in Australia. It’s had four field tests, each time something broke so we simply made it stronger. The video’s are of the 4th field test. If there’s enough interest, I’ll make some more from the footage I have.

PS: I decided to put the build thread here at RC&T since this is where I learned most about what I needed to know for a build and the site and other builds here helped me tremendously. I had all this set up nicely earlier today with pics and links but got a speeding ticket from the board admin for exceeding 20 minutes editing and it all evaporated into the ethos when I hit the “save” button. Now I can’t seem to put up pics. That’s just too bad. I’ve got 1100 pics of every aspect of the build so I might have another go at a build thread tomorrow if I get time. Anyway, I think the vids say it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-800 scale model.jpg (157 Bytes, 361 views)

Last edited by dozerbuilder; 03-08-2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: trying to post pics
Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

Nice model! History of this dozer is interesting since I was not aware of its existence. Very cool. Hope you will be able to post the pictures because we always like to see how the insides work.

Ken
Old 03-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks for that detailed information! My hat off to you and the people involved in building this "monster".

If you want to write a build thread, be aware that there is also a limit to the amount of pictures per post - 5 if you have them as attachments and 15 photos if you use a Photobucket of similar account. So better to break it up in small postings. That way you don't run into the time limit.

Or you could also write it first in a simple wordprocessor including the links etc. and then just copy - paste from there into the reply window.

Again, thanks for the information, and hope to see some "how we did it" pictures
Old 03-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

I can't see the attachment. Ed
Old 03-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Russian ChTz T-800 1/16th scale Bulldozer model

Thanks for posting dozerbuilder, very nice model and interesting background. As previously stated a photo account will be your best bet and easiest way of posting the photos we would all like to see.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Nice job!!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Never seen, nor never heard of such a model before.

For such a monster of a model, did hyds cross your mind at all? Looks like the speed of your actuators is about right, hope they last long time for you.

Sometimes when I make a long post, before I click "post", I highlight entire post & right click & copy... just b/c I've had it happen before with some computer glitch & loose it all ...I know your pain.

There is a 5000 character limit too to consider, so don't try to post an entire book in one post. Take your time, lets have a look at this unique creation you have mastered.

Joe
Old 03-09-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Never seen, nor never heard of such a model before.

For such a monster of a model, did hyds cross your mind at all? Looks like the speed of your actuators is about right, hope they last long time for you.

Sometimes when I make a long post, before I click "post", I highlight entire post & right click & copy... just b/c I've had it happen before with some computer glitch & loose it all ...I know your pain.

There is a 5000 character limit too to consider, so don't try to post an entire book in one post. Take your time, lets have a look at this unique creation you have mastered.

I looked into hyd's vs actuators and earned myself a migraine that lasted a week. I never really got to the bottom of it, I couldn't nail the hyd people down with precise specs about their products so I decided on screw actuators and ESC's. I'm working on new heavy duty ones to replace the ones fitted, all have failed miserably. I already have some parts and motors from China. They will be tubular resembling a hyd ram, but 12V electric. The speed of those 60's is about right as you say, and they have sufficient power.

I personally are not too happy about the possibility of oil leaks and also having high pressure oil in the mix. I like the controllability of the RC actuators - plenty of adjustment available in the RC mixing and the ESC's.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the interest guys.

I made another vid. This was the 3rd field test so some differences are noticeable in relation to the 4th field test and walk-around.

https://youtu.be/IdOlsBB4zQA
Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycuda View Post
Nice model! History of this dozer is interesting since I was not aware of its existence. Very cool. Hope you will be able to post the pictures because we always like to see how the insides work.

Ken
Sure, I'm happy to share all about it. Soon.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Thanks for posting dozerbuilder, very nice model and interesting background. As previously stated a photo account will be your best bet and easiest way of posting the photos we would all like to see.
Thanks truckmaker. Agreed. soon.
Cheers
Old 03-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Russian ChTz T-800 1/16th scale Bulldozer model

I watched a few of the videos (very envious btw) as this looks and sounds so real you now need a figure to top it off.

The walk around video looked as if you were actually walking around the full-scale vehicle the way you handled the camera... so kudos to you for that.

I really like it as I build 1/16 military/armor vehicles so it has my interest!

Jeff
Old 03-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
I watched a few of the videos (very envious btw) as this looks and sounds so real you now need a figure to top it off.

The walk around video looked as if you were actually walking around the full-scale vehicle the way you handled the camera... so kudos to you for that.

I really like it as I build 1/16 military/armor vehicles so it has my interest!

Jeff
Jeff,

The Russian Company (CHTZ-Uraltrac, also known as 4T3 )http://chtz-uraltrac.ru/ has manufactured in excess of 1.2 million crawler tractors. They began building Cat 60's under licence. The same Architect who designed the Ford auto factories of Detroit with moving assembly lines, Albert Khan, also designed the 4T3 factory in Russia. As a military enthusiast, you may be interested to know 4T3 is the same company that manufactures all their military tanks, from the T-34 to present day T-90.

The T-800 as a crawler tractor is essentially is a hybrid and has a tank-type hull, main frame and torsion bar /swing arm suspension like a T-34 though much more heavily built. That's why this heavy dozer can run at 14kph, the front idlers and rear sprockets carry no weight, the whole thing at 106 tons is riding only on the bottom rollers carried by a massive suspension arrangement comprising few moving parts, drop arms and torsion bars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolling-WIP.jpg (90.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg rolling-45-WIP.jpg (58.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by dozerbuilder; 03-09-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: cant see images?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:06 PM

Jeff, here's a pic of the 1:1 showing the rolling gear and drop arms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-800-rolling.jpg (93.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

What a monster!