RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:22 AM

NebraskaTrevor is on a distinguished road
Default My Bruder D5 Build

Hello, this is my first post here about my recent build.. I am interested in 3d printing and my search of the internet recently led to me to an article about an incredible 3d printed D10 cat that I found inspiring. I found this forum while searching around for R/C construction equipment something I was only vaguely aware of before from a couple of YouTube videos. I have been reading for the last couple of weeks trying to decide what to build first and it quickly became apparent that the ubiquitous Bruder conversion was he way to go for a first model. I picked up the little D5 last week and I have been working on it ever since. I have it driving now and I thought I would post some pictures of how I went about my conversion. I started out with the taymia gearbox like so many others but i quickly found out that the gears are essentially garbage and that it was way too fast and had too little torque for anything useful so I changed to some metal geared servos that were modified to allow for continuous rotation. It is all held together with some 3d printed parts for stability. I am still going to try to control blade angle with another servo I think. Pics to follow.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Re: My Bruder D5 Build

Some more photos.....

Old 01-24-2017, 09:31 AM

And a few more including the new grill I designed and printed to hold some little surface mount LED chips for headlights. I still need to do the same for lights up in the corners of the cab where the silver plastic light are on the Bruder.

Last edited by NebraskaTrevor; 01-24-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Looks like more than just a great start!

The tamiya gearboxes can be built in different gear ratios, and tolerances are open enough they need shims to get reasonable gear contact.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:34 AM

I hear ya about the ratios, unfortunately axle placement does not allow for the lowest ratio so it was silly fast. I am quite happy with the servos so far, it is also nice not to have to find a place for the associated speed controls as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Wannabe

Mustang46555 is on a distinguished road

Nicely done.
Agree with Frizzen, way more than just a great start.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 PM

Couple more images of the completed build. I added a few more 3d printed details and some led lights. I also filled in the windows because I wanted to be able to use some big 4s lipos I have and they would n not fit with the interior in place. Next I am starting on a 320 excavator!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Nice work, you could box that up and sell as kit if you ever felt like it. Well thought out.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 01-29-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum Trevor! Nice work on your conversion. Where are you at in Nebraska? Hello from Scottsbluff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Hello, and thanks. I live in lincoln now, but I was born and raised in Scottsbluff/Gering before moving to the big city 6 years ago. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaTrevor View Post
Hello, this is my first post here about my recent build.. I am interested in 3d printing and my search of the internet recently led to me to an article about an incredible 3d printed D10 cat that I found inspiring. I found this forum while searching around for R/C construction equipment something I was only vaguely aware of before from a couple of YouTube videos. I have been reading for the last couple of weeks trying to decide what to build first and it quickly became apparent that the ubiquitous Bruder conversion was he way to go for a first model. I picked up the little D5 last week and I have been working on it ever since. I have it driving now and I thought I would post some pictures of how I went about my conversion. I started out with the taymia gearbox like so many others but i quickly found out that the gears are essentially garbage and that it was way too fast and had too little torque for anything useful so I changed to some metal geared servos that were modified to allow for continuous rotation. It is all held together with some 3d printed parts for stability. I am still going to try to control blade angle with another servo I think. Pics to follow.

I HOPE this works?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Some more photos.....

pics
Old 09-15-2017, 11:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
And a few more including the new grill I designed and printed to hold some little surface mount LED chips for headlights. I still need to do the same for lights up in the corners of the cab where the silver plastic light are on the Bruder.

NICE