RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Mechanical tech

Mechanical tech This is for the mechanical parts of a model. Gear reductions, Axles, Transmissions, General drive line

Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Green Horn

CustomRCmodels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driven front axle options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf McBride View Post
Travis: (or whomever has done this, like Willy & Joe)

What about the flanges on the axle casing? Do the casing halves that are being used have the flange/edge that overlaps (malke side?), or the other one? I ask as if it needs removal, it can be used as an alignment assist, right?

As for 'alignment', to assure that the 'throughput' pumpkin matches with the central piece, and the gear-mesh inside is ok, you just bore out the screw-holes (as you'll either have two bottoms with no access, or two tops with no thread to grab), and use long bolts and nuts instead, and it'll line up sufficiently well?

WhiteWolf
No cutting required . You just use the male housing (no lip ) part from a straight input/output rear axle and replace that with the non-input/output housing on the TLT-1 axle . Plain simple bolt on .
Old 03-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomRCmodels View Post
No cutting required . You just use the male housing (no lip ) part from a straight input/output rear axle and replace that with the non-input/output housing on the TLT-1 axle . Plain simple bolt on .
You right Willy I was just giving the option to do it from available parts from a place like tower hobbies who doesn't carry the semi axle housings. But you right if you have the other housing there is no mod needed just bolt it together.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Travis: (or whomever has done this, like Willy & Joe)

And lastly: how well do the TLT & Semi axles compare width-wise (assuming the same rims/tires all around)
WhiteWolf
As for the rim-offset , lock at my Krupp ( at the bottom of this page )
You use the rear inner rims as front rims
http://www.customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id86.htm
Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

Willy:

My imagination, or is the front actually a little narrower than the outer rear axles? As I've got a semy with stock rear width, it'll help me tell if the deed
is not only do-able, but would look decent enough under the body...

Thanks for the assistance,
WhiteWolf
Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
You right Willy I was just giving the option to do it from available parts from a place like tower hobbies who doesn't carry the semi axle housings. But you right if you have the other housing there is no mod needed just bolt it together.

Travis
If you get 2x TLT-1 axles and 2x center axles ( from a 3 axle truck ) , then you have all the parts for the swap without having to purchase the extra axle housing ( a-parts 0005467 + pinion-gear ) , since then you just use the left over housing half from one TLT-1 axle and fit that as last rear axle . In that case you also would have to do some cutting , but not that much , to fit it together .
Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Willy:

My imagination, or is the front actually a little narrower than the outer rear axles? As I've got a semy with stock rear width, it'll help me tell if the deed
is not only do-able, but would look decent enough under the body...

Thanks for the assistance,
WhiteWolf
The fronts line up with the outer rears . Its just an illusion from the angle how that photo was taken . For a better comparison here with a King Hauler body :
all-wheel-drive rig , but with bigger and wider tires .
Therefore the front tires stick out from the fenders ( and the rear is much wider as stock )
http://customrcmodels.com/Trucks/new_6wd_project.htm
with stock semi-rims and tires they would be just covered by the fenders

here is a good photo from Travis's Mack :

Last edited by CustomRCmodels; 03-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Is there a driven front driven axle with remote locking diff and complete disconnect? Or are they all open and locked only?

I have setup some wedico metal axles that can do this and it is a nice feature.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-20-2016, 04:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
Is there a driven front driven axle with remote locking diff and complete disconnect? Or are they all open and locked only?

I have setup some wedico metal axles that can do this and it is a nice feature.
Der Getriebedoktor refurbish Tamiya axles. A big pluss is that you don't have to buy new rear axles, since they have the same gear ratio.

If you want to spend som money, these are awesome: http://www.wtbcar.com/shopping/index...product_id=192

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
Der Getriebedoktor refurbish Tamiya axles. A big pluss is that you don't have to buy new rear axles, since they have the same gear ratio.

If you want to spend som money, these are awesome: http://www.wtbcar.com/shopping/index...product_id=192
So both of these axles have 3 positions...locked diff, open diff and disconnect front axle from being driven?

I don't really see how the guy that mods the tamiya axles could completely disconnect the front axle from being driven/powered? I have it bookmarked on how to to lock and unlock the diff.

The second link looks like a Lesu axle (maybe re-branded?) and going by the photos i have found it looks like it just locks and unlocks the diff and does not completely disconnect the front axle from being driven.

It would be nice if a tamiya tlt axle could be converted to work the way that i want it to.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-21-2016, 06:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Then you need at transfer with disconnect: http://www.veroma-modellbau.eu/shop/...etriebe-1.html

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 02-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
Then you need at transfer with disconnect: http://www.veroma-modellbau.eu/shop/...etriebe-1.html

Nice tranfer case. Thanks Egronvold.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Well here is my experience with a disconnect for the front axle. I have a dump truck with a TLT for a front axle and an RC4WD 3 speed. The 3 speed is only rear output in 2nd and 3rd gear. In first gear it engages the front axle. Steering with a load sucks in 2nd and 3rd with having to push the front axle around turning the diff and drive shaft (this is where the disconnect in the axle would come in handy like Small Haul mentioned). So I find myself driving around in first most of the time. From then on after building that truck I just made them full time all-wheel drive.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
Well here is my experience with a disconnect for the front axle. I have a dump truck with a TLT for a front axle and an RC4WD 3 speed. The 3 speed is only rear output in 2nd and 3rd gear. In first gear it engages the front axle. Steering with a load sucks in 2nd and 3rd with having to push the front axle around turning the diff and drive shaft (this is where the disconnect in the axle would come in handy like Small Haul mentioned). So I find myself driving around in first most of the time. From then on after building that truck I just made them full time all-wheel drive.
Agree on all accounts and good informative post. That is cool that the rc4wd 3 speed disconnects the front axle in first. Do you think it is as strong as the stock tamiya trans?

I guess a compromise would be a disconnect trans or transfer case and a lockable front axle.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the lockable Lesu front axle? Is it durable and function well?

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
Agree on all accounts and good informative post. That is cool that the rc4wd 3 speed disconnects the front axle in first. Do you think it is as strong as the stock tamiya trans?

I guess a compromise would be a disconnect trans or transfer case and a lockable front axle.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the lockable Lesu front axle? Is it durable and function well?
It is good trans and just to be clear it is only disconected in 2nd 3rd. 1st is the only gear that awd. One thing thouh it is best to open up the trans and take out the shift springs and relye on the servo to hold each gear as the springs are way to stiff. It take alll a high torque servo has to shift it. Unlike a tamiya 3 speed you can shift with your finger you can't do that with the RC4WD 3 speed.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Great info Travis, Thank You.

"No load is too Small"
Old 07-22-2017, 11:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Thanks folks for much useful information. I as well was debating placing a powered axle on the front of my King Hauler. I bought it used, & plan to hack the sleeper off, & build it into a logging truck. I think the addition of powered steer axle will make it more functional.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:40 PM

Lubeman55 is on a distinguished road

Hello Travis, I am a green horn to all of this it is very incredible the work you guys do, I have been looking for information to find a Mack style straight to try and build a 6 x 6 lube fuel RC truck, we just completed the real thing and would love to have a small one, any help would be thankful

Mike