RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PC1800 Front Shovel (1/12)

Only a suggestion but why don't you go with an aluminum tank it would seem to have better heat transfer to help keep the oil cooler. Ed
Old 12-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Wow, you definately know what you are doing,,,, I'm curious to know how much force will be needed for the valve handles. The shorter you go the more force. I'll have to wait and see how you RC the valves, I'm assuming the hitec servos will be used. Short as possible arm or linkage. Again not questioning anything about your plans, just can't wait to see!!! Lol!! It seems like whatever we build, at first it appears to have plenty of space. Then when components start being placed all that space suddenly disappears!!
Old 12-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Just thought of something, on the valves, I assume they are spring loaded for neutral centering. Just a thought but having a servo being used, that would basically take place of the internal springs. Could eliminate them and have very little force needed for throw.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I believe the other guy removed the springs and mounted the servos more direct. I could be wrong though. It's happened before....
Old 12-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

Joe, the batteries you see are 14ah each, the space under the cab could be used for one more battery if needed.....

Ed, yes an alm. tank would be much better....I can't weld alm. sold my tig a while back didn't use it enough....could have used it now...lol

Cooper & RCP57, Not sure that I really know what I'm doing but hey as long as it looks that way it's all good...lol...
The very first thing I did to the valve spools was to remove the springs, way to much force needed to move the controls with them installed, without the springs there is almost no resistance when moving the spools. Yes I will be using four Hitec 755 servos to control the valves, which should have plenty of torque and enough throw with big control arms. Originally I was going to remove all the valve control handles and housings and connect the servos more directly to the spools but then the ends of the spools would be xposed and getting any dirt on them would be bad, so that would mean haveving to build something to cover/seal the exposed spools. So using the "KISS" formula.....adapting and using what is already there seemed to be the easiest and most "simplistic" way of getting it to work. I might not cut the original control lever shorter because they will only need to be about 1" long so I will just thread some 1/4" round bar to match the original male threads of the long control lever/handles, then drill and tap the other end 6-32 to attach the ball links....or at least that's the plan for now...time will tell if this all works!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Apprentice

Built this cart/work bench to help organize all the "stuff" when doing a build, it has ten small removable parts trays for all the little parts etc. Even though it really isn't part of the build it will help with it...... never seems to be enough bench space for all the parts etc, this will help keep everything together and help avoid collecting all the parts on the main work bench. Usually my work bench is just a magnet that attracts everything but what you're actually working on...LOL

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I know exactly what you are referring to with parts scattered!! For a long time I keep wanting to get another cart, or make something like you did. But it becomes another thing to build and gets put on the back burner!!! One of those things that should have been built along time ago and still not done!!! Come springtime I'm going to be moving the shop to another house, maybe then I'll take the time to better organize!! I keep seeing workshops like yours , where things are organized and clean, and I can only imagine what I could cluster up in a short amount of time!! Lol
Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Apprentice

Cooper, the only reason you see pics of a nice clean work area is because many of us or at least I do....is to push everything of to one side into a big pile and then avoid getting it all in the picture...LOL

I put aside the hydraulics for now because I'm waiting on some parts to show up, which is good because it's giving me a headache trying to get everything to fit etc. So here are some other pics of what I have been able to build in the past while....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I will be using the original tracks that came off the D11, not really to scale but they will work fo me. (10 more links/pads need to be added )

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 AM
Apprentice

The undercarriage.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Apprentice

Few more pics.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I will try to get all the build pics up to date on this build....stay tuned!!
KP
Old 12-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Nice! Gotta love those clean cuts!
Old 12-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

I see you are moving right along on this when do you find time to sleep? Ed
Old 12-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Just curious, is the pattern on the sprocket done on the water jet also? Pressure back down for ingraving instead of cutting?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Apprentice

Reg, yes the cuts are nice and straight , remember this is no skill of mine just of a machine.....the quality of what you do manually is far more impressive!!

Jammer, I do sleep at night...lol...these are pics of what I have done over the past few months, I wish it was going together this fast....sadly that is not what is happening, if I get this done in the next year I'll be doing good...lol

Cooper, yes the pattern on the sprocket is etched, the machine operates at about half the normal cutting pressure and the travel speed is also increased which means it just doesn't have enough time to cut through the material, it does have it's limitations and the depth of the etch isn't really something that you can change, it is somewhat of a default setting.

KP
Old 12-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Apprentice

A few more pics of the undercarriage...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I will be using one solid slider instead of bottom rollers, didn't have any black plastic...and yes I was using a drill chuck to hold the end mill while cutting the UHMW plastic....I was trying to make the sides look like what I think is called a full rock guard, kinda killed two birds with one stone with this idea just wish it was black, not sure how long plastic paint will stay on them, may need to do them again using black plastic....or down the road I might replace the slider with rollers, really want to see if and for how long this will work

[IMG]

Hard to see the detail in this photo but you can kinda get an idea of what it will look like, still need to cut the slot for the track chain to run in.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Very nice work!! I like the small details you are adding. This looks to be a very big machine and that should make working on it a bit easier. Seems like tracks are always the toughest to make and also has the most pcs. I will be watching.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Very nice work!! I like the small details you are adding. This looks to be a very big machine and that should make working on it a bit easier. Seems like tracks are always the toughest to make and also has the most pcs. I will be watching.
Thanks Modelman, trying to get a few details in this build but my stuff usually ends up looking a little "plain jane" because I run out of patience near the end of the build.Tracks can take a long time, even the simple ones on this...glad to be able to use old ones from the D11.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Apprentice

Took a couple better pics of the track sliders installed

[IMG]

[IMG]
Old 12-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Apprentice

Building the top carrier roller mounts, just needed to mill off the material that wasn't wanted and you end up with what is left behind.(which is the only thing that matters when machining parts ) These turned out better than I thought they would, almost looks like the real deal...almost...lol

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 PM

mcCracken15 is on a distinguished road

What style bit is that in the mill? The first endmill pic?