RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Jeff, You got me lost. Is this like bluetooth?. I don't know anything about what you talked about but I'm aware it could be done. One of my kids said why not use a playstation 2 controller and I've seen a interface that could use one but I don't want to experiment on new things yet.

Yes Brian That's a D4 pedal tractor. I also have a small ''H'' ,560, 86 series, and a AC 7080 buried in my garage attic.
Neil, I have atleast a dozon different kinds of joy sticks, Master switches from all kinds of stuff I bought on ebay over the years. My design has changed several times and the radio control seemed to be the easiest (Less wires).
Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

Yes,the Xbee wireless is on a bluetooth frequency, some of the more powerful ones have a 1 mile LOS range.

The Arduino board is a computer programmed logic controller board with (depending on model) several Analog I/O's and Several Digital I/O's as well as a few can be configured as PWM (like servo commands). I've been toying with the idea of making my own Radios if I ever get around to building my own large scale RC equipment. I believe you can even use them with a wireless PS3 controller as well But in your case I would hook up the real controls.

I got this book several weeks ago, is well written and easily understandable. I think if you can handle G-code for the cnc you could handle programming an Arduino board (2 in this case). http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9301

Here's a vid of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtI7_UQGTw

Last edited by pugs; 03-19-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Now your talking. That looks very interesting. That pot demo is basically what starts my motor drives. All you need is a variable+10vdc and -10vdc to make the motor go forward or reverse. I will have to look into that in the future. What about interference with similar controls operating nearby or do these work like the 2.4ghz radios?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Wannabe

I haven't gotten too much into the Xbee cards yet (the wireless portion of the combo), but I do believe its like the 2.4ghz radios in that they have to be bonded together and are on a code to minimize interference.

I would highly suggest buying the arduino book listed above and taking time to read it, if it looks like something you can handle than start experimenting. The plus side of the Arduino board in the model is that it can be used like a little PLC to monitor and adjust things without you having to worry about it, like maybe limit switches or temp sensors to protect something.

Last edited by pugs; 03-19-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

That would be cool to run it with full scale controls. It would also be neat to mount a camera on the house and a monitor in front of the controls to run it.

"No load is too Small"
Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Wannabe

Yeah, these little Arduino boards can also be set up with real time feedback as well as they communicate both ways. So things like winch motor temp or something could be monitored at the controls.

I did see some small cams and screen on arduino someplace but not sure about over wireless as the data flow might have been too much for them, but the possibilities are there.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
That would be cool to run it with full scale controls. It would also be neat to mount a camera on the house and a monitor in front of the controls to run it.
Remember me talking at Brownsville last summer in the 90deg heat? I was thinking about building a cab for the 1:1 controls with air conditioning and sit inside so nobody talks to the operator distracting him so he don't screw up the drag
Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

HA!! I bet you would get more interruptions in the full sized cab. People would want to see the controls and ask what you were doing in there!! Best bet might be to just wear ear plugs

Lynn
Old 03-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Heck If I made it big enough and like the real ones there's usually a chair for the oiler and I could just draw the shades and sleep in there instead of my truck or tent.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Remember me talking at Brownsville last summer in the 90deg heat? I was thinking about building a cab for the 1:1 controls with air conditioning and sit inside so nobody talks to the operator distracting him so he don't screw up the drag
Yes I do, it was REALLY hot. It was unbelievably hot in the cab of Howards Ensley Drag Line, which is probably why he was happy to let me run it, lol.

Ha, now... I don't know anybody that screws up when talking while operating?

"No load is too Small"
Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve, sound's like you have it covered for joystick's. Have you thought about having a camera inside the cab, and tv monitor outside. Let them see and no interuptus
Pug's, thank's for the new link, hadn't heard of ps3 controler's being used yet
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Hey Steve, sound's like you have it covered for joystick's. Have you thought about having a camera inside the cab, and tv monitor outside. Let them see and no interuptus
Pug's, thank's for the new link, hadn't heard of ps3 controler's being used yet
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Yes I would like to put a camera in the cab. That would make it more challenging to operate. I just need to work a few more hundred hours to get to that point
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well, I finally got the tip soldered together. Another milestone crossed. I counted 135pcs that were made for this section of boom excluding about 150 bolts. I hope to get on the safety rope mountings soon. There's also a set of deflection sheaves that help guide the hoist rope I talked about before that are made but I need to design the channels that they mount to.

End Plates

Underside

Inside of the rear pillow block

Soldered

Last of the lattice that needed installed

Top section
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post

Yes Brian That's a D4 pedal tractor. I also have a small ''H'' ,560, 86 series, and a AC 7080 buried in my garage attic.
Ya wanta buy any more??

Brian
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Beautiful!

Kerst
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I doubt it Brian. I don't have any little kids anymore. Now they want diesel pick up trucks.

Thanks, Kerst, I got tired of starring at all the parts so the last two evenings I just had to put it together. I need to learn how to make hand rail and the walkway up the left side now. How will the oilier get up there to grease the point.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

looks awsome i am still speechless of all the intricit details amaizing keep up the awsome work lol now looks like theres a euclid truck gonna be around to load and i can shove the load around
Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Almost done?? Hand rails and walkways should be no problem for you. Just take your time
Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm never done with anything Lynn, I'm not sure how high the hand rail is, 42''? A friend stopped the other day and said he had some of the wood from trailer flooring and he could cut me some thin planking for my walkways. I think that stuff is Mahogany? That will look nice. Second choice would be Cherry because of the fine grain. I've spent roughly 7 months of spare time on this boom so far.I can't wait to get out and dig again, now this much of the boom is done it will be more realistic over the temporary boom. I need to get out to the real machine now the weather is getting nicer. I'll be able to get more sizes from the house and the A frame bracing.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Very nice work as always steve!! Will the boom be painted?