RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6X6 Quarry Dump Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Kool Truckmaker
Thanks IZZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselKid View Post
Looking sweet buddy!!! Definitely has that beefy haul truck look!

-Alex
Hi Alex, glad to see you on here, boy have I got some news for you! Watch for a PM or I might even give you a call in the next week and thanks, the truck should start moving along, just a few more parts to make for the rear suspension.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

A quick update, got the transfer case and front drive line mounted. Used a modified Axial transmission. Still need to fab up a left side mount bracket for it.

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

Cool looking build. Im loving the walking beam set up. that will be a beast with all that articulation. I have been tinkering with a set up like that for my next truck.
I did notice the plastic driveshafts. Just a word of caution. My mack 6 wheeler twisted one of them up on the 1st day I installed it. I had to put metal ones in if I wanted to haul loads with it. same with my cab over freight truck. if i pulled my flat bed it would twist it as well. I keep them for mock ups and then purchase metal shafts for use and abuse.

keep the pics coming
Old 03-19-2015, 10:50 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Nice!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
Cool looking build. Im loving the walking beam set up. that will be a beast with all that articulation. I have been tinkering with a set up like that for my next truck.
I did notice the plastic driveshafts. Just a word of caution. My mack 6 wheeler twisted one of them up on the 1st day I installed it. I had to put metal ones in if I wanted to haul loads with it. same with my cab over freight truck. if i pulled my flat bed it would twist it as well. I keep them for mock ups and then purchase metal shafts for use and abuse.

keep the pics coming
Thanks Lmack, it's good to hear your back and might make the spring meet! The front driveshaft is an Axial crawler shaft out of the spare parts box (read free/payed for) I'm going to modify and use another one for the inter axle shaft since they aren't good for anything else right now. The main will be custom out of Traxxas shafts with steel ends/crosses which is what I've been running in my tri-axle without a problem yet. I've been shopping steel and I figure about 150.00 shipped, I'm guessing I'll need them eventually but free works for now
I am curious exactly where yours failed though.

Quote:
Nice!
Thanks Izzy!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Rear suspension update, It's done !! Ok so it needs adjusted, tested, painted etc. but at least the fabrcation is done and it appears to work as planned.

Rear suspension centerline crossmember

Final assembly shots

Drive shafts next. Then I'll power it up and make sure it runs the way I want it too and then work on the bed mechanism.

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Backyard enginier

Nice brass work. Consistent clean bends - nice!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Backyard enginier

Q - who's drive shafts you have up front?
Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

It's out of an axial crawler and pretty much stretched to its limit, I couldn't get it to come apart flexing the suspension but it only has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch penetration. I used it primarily to set the transfer case location.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got the driveshafts done, I need to shorten the inter-axle shaft up a hair. Should be able to power it up this weekend.

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Journeyman

wow loving the walking beam set up. and the brass tube for the driveshafts!

I had tried the RC4WD plastic driveshafts that look just like the Steel versions. They would twist the star "tube" to the point that the U joints would then slip out. Granted this was with a truck pulling a full load of sand and going over some real harsh ground. On the other hand even my on road Cab over mack twisted a shaft pulling my flat bed when I was backing down a steep hill and then tried to move forward. IMO the RC4WD shafts are only good for trucks that dont get dirty or pull any sort of weight around.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
It's out of an axial crawler and pretty much stretched to its limit, I couldn't get it to come apart flexing the suspension but it only has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch penetration. I used it primarily to set the transfer case location.
How much does the inter axles drive shaft move in and out? I always have trouble with this shaft popping out because of how short it is and how much articulation I try to get out of the stock Tamiya suspension?

I was thinking about making a walking beam that rubber mounts the axles to the beams and thus keeps the inter axel drive-shaft angle straight at all times. only the front shaft would move in and out of the tube to take up the length difference when traveling over bumps. I know your example is more 1:1 but I always have issues with lots of articulation and the little driveshaft. I went back to the tamiya cups and dog bones between both drive axels because they were performing better than the scale driveshafts did.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
wow loving the walking beam set up. and the brass tube for the driveshafts!

I had tried the RC4WD plastic driveshafts that look just like the Steel versions. They would twist the star "tube" to the point that the U joints would then slip out. Granted this was with a truck pulling a full load of sand and going over some real harsh ground. On the other hand even my on road Cab over mack twisted a shaft pulling my flat bed when I was backing down a steep hill and then tried to move forward. IMO the RC4WD shafts are only good for trucks that dont get dirty or pull any sort of weight around.
Quote:
How much does the inter axles drive shaft move in and out? I always have trouble with this shaft popping out because of how short it is and how much articulation I try to get out of the stock Tamiya suspension?

I was thinking about making a walking beam that rubber mounts the axles to the beams and thus keeps the inter axel drive-shaft angle straight at all times. only the front shaft would move in and out of the tube to take up the length difference when traveling over bumps. I know your example is more 1:1 but I always have issues with lots of articulation and the little driveshaft. I went back to the tamiya cups and dog bones between both drive axels because they were performing better than the scale driveshafts did.
Thanks Lmack, I got rid of the dog bone/cup set up. I don't think it'll work well off road with a lot of articulation. Here are some photos of my inter-axle shaft which is an axial crawler drive shaft cut down. The pictures show the suspension at full tilt fore and aft which on the bench is way more than it'll ever see in the field, I'd guess there is about 1/4" movement. Side to side twisting of the axles doesn't really change it much. I don't know how easy it would be to make a shaft for the stock suspension spread, mine is scale 72.5" which is the widest spread for a Hendrickson "R" model.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Green Horn

DieselKid is on a distinguished road

Cool, cool, cool man!!! Can't believe those brass parts! Phenomenal!

-Alex
Old 04-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselKid View Post
Cool, cool, cool man!!! Can't believe those brass parts! Phenomenal!

-Alex
Thank Alex! I've been having fun with it.

Here's some Friday and Saturday updates.

Here's a new t-case mount, I didnt like the way the first one turned out.

Made a larger cab floor/radio tray.

Made the dump box frame/hinge assembly.

Thanks for looking!
Old 04-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Backyard enginier

It's coming along nicely. Even though that articulation is too much for that drive shafts I doubt you will ever see that much need for it.

Watch you triangulation when doing your lift mechanism.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Looks good so far . Great job on the walking beam , I would only suggest getting metal rod ends , I've broken the plastic 1's I 1st used on my IH9370 with the walking beam (hendrixson )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Awesome job so far. I'm not up on all the various available parts so I apologize in advance for asking, but what transfer case are you using and where did you get it?
Old 04-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
It's coming along nicely. Even though that articulation is too much for that drive shafts I doubt you will ever see that much need for it.

Watch you triangulation when doing your lift mechanism.
Thanks Izzy, I agree, it will probably never see that much articulation, at least not on purpose. I took those pictures to show another member how extreme it could go with out the shafts pulling apart.
The dump mechanism will be interesting, it will be a slow process until I get comfortable with the set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Looks good so far . Great job on the walking beam , I would only suggest getting metal rod ends , I've broken the plastic 1's I 1st used on my IH9370 with the walking beam (hendrixson )
Thanks Steve glad you like it. Ouch I figured these Traxxas rods and ends would cut it, guess I'll have to take it out and tear them up so I have an excuse to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
Awesome job so far. I'm not up on all the various available parts so I apologize in advance for asking, but what transfer case are you using and where did you get it?
Hi Finster, thanks for the comment. The t-case is a transmission out of an Axial AX10 Scorpion crawler I parted out. I believe the part number is AX80009. The input shaft has to be modified to use it like this. If you shop eBay or some of the more popular RC Crawler sites, there are better alternatives out there, I just happened to have this collecting dust on a shelf and knew Travis used one in one of his builds so I gave it a shot.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info! Oh and I forgot to mention I really like your walking beam setup. I may have to borrow your method(s) for a future build