RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:51 PM

Doggy is on a distinguished road
Arrow Project 8x8

Hi all. I am in this hobby for 15 years now, not active all the time.Last year after few years of pause, I bought tamiya hilux to drive around with my friend. And afer some time and talking, we discovered a world of 1/14. He bought 6x4 scania, and I bought a Bruder toy I tought I could do the conversion to RC as Bruder toys look very nice.
I bought this crane

And then these to

Also rc fork lift

Then I had to say STOP, as I had many toys that I can only watch

So started to brake it down

I see that I cant use this chassis, tires and wheels are useless, so only cabin and crane for now. As I bought 2 trucks, the main thing to do was to make chassis for them. Some calculations later showed that I need 22 wheels, 22 tires, 7 axles,... $$$$$$$$ Maybe it would be better that I just bought tamiya truck and call it a day

But I didnt

First I started doing the most expensive part, the axle. But hey, front axle is not that expensive, so I made a design for drop axle, and some wheel hubs, to see how tamiya truck tires will look on Bruder. I used my 3d printer to print out my design.

Soon after that I started looking for some small cheap open differentials, and found something fo a 1/12 scale buggy that I thought might work. Ordered it, and started to design my axle around it. Somewhere along the way a friend called me and said that he needs all wheel drive to drive offroad, rwd is just not enough he said.
So I droped drop axle, and decided to go al wheel drive. A spent some time working on the axle design, printed out 10 different ones to find the best solution.

Then when I thought I had it, friend called again and said: "My friend, we need to have remote locking to help us when we get stuck offroad!"
Ohhh, here we go again. So I did a simple locker for my bought diff.

I dont like how this version is engaged, I have some other ideas for it, but I need to find a thin cable with tubing I could use, and then I will continue with lockers. For now its on hold, but I left the axles with the place to install lockers later.
So this is the first version of the rear axle with V1 locker instaled

Then I decided to drink one beer

Then it all goes bad. I realised I dont have enough tamiya wheels to see how it will look like when I put 2 axles at the rear. So I decided to design my own wheels and print them out.
Then I realised I dont like tamiya hex, and I want scale 10 bolts hubs. So I designed new wheel and hub. Then I needed leaf springs for the rear. I tried to design and print them, and I was very supprised as they worked really good. First design was something like tamiya use, but than I realised thats far from scale, so I used some Actros photos to see how the real thing looks like. Few days, and many sleepless nights later, I had all of this on my desk.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Project 8x8

Then was the time to use some aluminium profile for the frame. I dont really like it and I will use it only for a prototipe, I want it all in steel for final version.

Then realised I need a transfercase to connect all the axles to the motor. So designed one and started printing

Next thing to do was front and rear susspension. I used really truck photos for the reference. You will notice one fail i my idea of using scale 10 bolt wheels design. When you realise you have 8 wheels x 10 bolts, thats 80 bolts and nuts, and at the time I was happy to find 20 But a 100 just arrived today

Then I had to do the steering, so to make it right I needed to check my ackermann and turn radius.

And then do the steering links

While I was going crazy with all the angles for steering, to chillout and give myself a smile back on my face, I did a simple carrier for my bruder cabin.

An with smile on my face finished steering links

So that is pretty much where I am at right now. I tried to make some drive shafts, just to see all of the wheels move, and test the drivetrain. My idea was to use a 12V dc motor with gearbox on it with 350rpm output. But it seems underpowered. So I decided to go to classic 560 motor and I ordered a tamiya 3 speed gearbox just to test it. But the plan is to make my own gearbox, probably 2 speed, as it seems enough and uses less space.
I wont be working on the truck for a week or two now as I am busy, but for that time I am open to any suggestions or comments, and a good advice for maybe where to find some cool parts I could need.

Hope you like my post
Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

That's awesome! Really nice work on the axles and suspension. Yes you could have bought a Tamiya truck for less but this is way better. No one else will have one like what you have built and to me that is perfect!

Reg
Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

Cool project and a great choice of beer!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:53 PM

Prop Shaft is on a distinguished road

Very impressive. What scale is the bruder body?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:58 AM

Tnx guys.

Bruder is advertised as 1/16, maybe its a bit smaller than tamiya, but I dont really notice it.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:01 PM

matis88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakthi View Post
Cool project and a great choice of beer!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the beer.

Nice work too.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by matis88 View Post
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the beer.

Nice work too.
Double that!!! More dark beer!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Double that!!! More dark beer!!!
you drink dark beer and your parts get wonky!! stick with light beer cooper
Old 02-02-2016, 08:15 PM

jeffgp is on a distinguished road

killer build . i could use some axles like that for one of my builds
Old 02-03-2016, 02:39 AM

Bobby is on a distinguished road

Master build. Accurate work.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:41 PM

Tnx guys. There is no update yet, I am busy with my college exams, and I am doing some work on my workspace, so I can make better parts for my truck. I just started to make a small table cnc mill just big enough to make axle housings from aluminum.
Only update is, i bought tamiya 3speed gearbox to fit on the truck so I can test all the components. And also i placed an order on a tamiya man 4x2 to compare the size an have something for reference.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgp View Post
killer build . i could use some axles like that for one of my builds
Let me give them a good test and find the week spots to fix. And then I would be able to make more and sell them if someone needs them. I guess it would be nice to be able to buy cheaper axles, and again functional and strong enough.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:30 PM

Gregg is on a distinguished road

I'm at the same point with my project .A complete stand still. i have yet been able to get a set of 8x8 axles that i can actually afford. The stuff on the market is really good stuff but way out of my price range. i just need some functional axles that work but cont need to be built like a tank. With all the 3d guys making their own parts now it would be great if someone could build and market a nice 8x8 set up that you dont need to take out a second mortgage to pay for.
I ultimately wanted to build a Marine Mk48 that is not in service anymore but i really like the front and rear articulation function of it.
Just need 2 front steerable axles and 2 rear straight drives.
I pretty much have everything else i need for the job but the the axles.
Anyone know of an affordable 8x8 set or someone who can make a set?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:07 AM

Hi guys, sorry for late update. I had a ton of other things to do. I had some problems with my 3d printer, so had to replace some parts and calibrate it all over again. I mounted the cab on the truck and fitted tamiya gearbox with motor under it. That gearbox is really too big for scale look so I will have to make smaller one for the new truck.

Update on this build, I decided that this will be finished like this, I hope to make it run in next few days. I bought Tamiya Man tgx tractor and got a bit dissapointed when I compared the bruder cab with tamiya. Bruder is a bit smaller, and from when I was a kid, i never liked mixing scales, so on the next truck I am moving on a 1/14 scale. Bruder is great in detail, much better looking than tamiya, but size matters. As I allready bought 2 bruder trucks, I guess I will make 2 chassis for them, and then go to 1/14, and put bruders up for sale as I dont have enough space in my apartment allready.

Big update is, 8x8 1/14 truck is my masters work for college now, so I will have to work on it fast, and finish it in next 3 months. It will be based on this design,but 3d print will be replaced with laser cut steel, frame will also be steel,axles cnc aluminum. I will try to go as scale as possible in this short period that I can. The thing I will use 3D printer this time will be the cab, as I dont wont to use bought cab for my masters work. In the last month I started learning 3D design in solidworks, so this is what I came up with for now. Anyone knows what it is?

Old 10-03-2016, 01:40 PM

lxpower is on a distinguished road

Wow a Volvo FMX? Looking forward for update
Old 10-04-2016, 06:02 AM

You can find new Volvo photos on facebook page. I am in the middle home renovation so hobby is on hold. This 8x8 was a nice prototype to learn, but for the FMX I am working on a scale chassis with scale volvo axles and it will be 8x6, as Volvo doesnt make more than 3 driven axles.
https://m.facebook.com/Scale-Product...7534910171976/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.