RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Green Horn

YoungGunz is on a distinguished road
Default Scale Pick Up Advice

Ive been looking into building a pick-up to fit in with my semi's...... Just wondering what you guys have done or in what direction to point me. A lot of the R/C pick ups i see are all jacked up to the point of being unrealistic, i want something that could still be street legal looking. Ive seen a few guys cut bodies off of cheap rc's but i haven't really found any that have fit the description. Or what frame set up would work with out completely scraping the frame and rebuilding it new? Also any place to pick up a body or a rc truck that has a decent scale body?

Ive only built semi's so scale pick ups are very new to me.

This is what i would be shooting for:

http://images.v12soft.com/photos/nuz...BDO_640480.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks, J.D.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scale Pick Up Advice

I think the biggest problem would finding something to match the scale of the big rigs. Tamiya has some nice hardbody trucks that are 1/12 scale, but they are on the large size for the semi trucks, which are 1/14.5 scale. Actually quite a bit on the large side. It would be like comparing 1/10 scale to 1/8 scale. You'd be better off searching the toy RC sections of various stores, like you mentioned. Often times, their 1/12 scale trucks are on the smaller side. More like a 1/14 scale. The drivetrain would probably require you to look at the 1/16 scale RC rock crawlers, like the Losi and Venom trucks. Their axles are pretty nice for a scale model, just like you want. The problem with the Tamiya 1/12 scale trucks is that their axles are unrealistically wider then they should be, but it's all in sake of performance, just like the taller jacked up ride heights.

Another option for bodies to look for a toy truck, that is non-RC. They are around. Remember those Nylint brand metal trucks? Or even Tonka's? They are out there. Probably best found on E-Bay.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Green Horn

Location: Up a hill above the dirty Ohio river on the Indiana side.
rcguyfarms is on a distinguished road

I have a 1/16th scale ertl ford f-150 pickup that is close to scale with the wedico trucks. I made it rc years ago before micro crawler parts existed.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

You can use the losi mini crawler axles they work great and there are some german models in 1/14 scale if you look on ebay.de

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

Even at the advertised scale you have to measure to see what it really is. I bought a 1/14 scale that turned out pretty close in some measurements and off just a bit in others. The one a got a few years back was a new bright. I started a build with it, but its been on the shelf while I concentrate my limited time on other projects.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 AM

siuvinson is on a distinguished road

There is a brand called "road rippers" that makes some toys in 1/14-1/16 scale. I've got a dodge ram and an f150 body of their's reserved to do just want you want to do. Also, check out agriculture-related stores like Tractor Supply or Blaine's F&F...they normally have a good selection of branded John Deere/etc. toys and you might find something in your scale there.

My problem is finding axles of the correct width. In their stock forms, the losi micro crawler (mcrc) axles are good for 1/20 scales and below, same with the Redcat Sumo Crawlers (rcsc). The 1/18 losi mini crawler (mrc) axles are actually a good width for the larger 1/12 scale tamiya bodies, if you're going for the scale "wheels w/in the fenders" look...so that won't help you in the 1/14 deparment. RC4WD makes some mini axles, but they are also geared towards the 1/20 scales and you'll spend $100 to get a pair.

There's a guy on Scale 4x4 that has modded some Sumo axles to a width that would be just about perfect, but I haven't approached him to see if he'd be interested in making me a set. Another good thing about the scrc axles compared to the mcrc axles is that the Sumo's aren't worm-gears like the Losi's are, so they are more durable and can handle more power/torque. PM me if you want his screen name - I don't think he's a member here, but he's a wizard with anything "micro".
Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Green Horn

YoungGunz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info guys!! After doing hours and hours of research, I think im going to try out a Losi 1/18 mini crawler for the axles and wheels and a 1/14 scale f-150 new bright body. I think i might go this weekend to go look at the Losi and i have the new bright shipped but i think i will have to look for a different frame or make one.... but that shouldnt be too hard (or atleast i say that now)

Thanks again! I will start a thread for the truck if i do end up buying the rock crawler and everything looks proportionate.

J.D.