RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default My Dremel finally Died for good!!!!!

So last night i was cutting and working on my fenders and my 7y/o dremmel finally died for good!!! Inside the dremmel there is a spring that attatches the motor to the spindle and it shattered in pieces! Last week it started making a skipping sound so i tore it apart and rebent the spring to work as the tab gad broken. Well now its done for and i cant find the replacement part...... So now instead of buying my scroll saw i have to go buy a new dremel. I know a lot of you use them so which one is the best one? there are at least 4 or 4 models now and im not sure which one to get? WOuld love to hear your ideas and thoughts as to the different ups and downs of the models you have.... Thanks!!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My Dremel finally Died for good!!!!!

sonds like you need new brushes , which you can get . If the springs your talking about come out of a little plastic cap in the back , there should be little carbon blocks attached to them . I know you can get them , I have . You may have to clean up the armature with some fine emery .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
So last night i was cutting and working on my fenders and my 7y/o dremmel finally died for good!!! Inside the dremmel there is a spring that attatches the motor to the spindle and it shattered in pieces! Last week it started making a skipping sound so i tore it apart and rebent the spring to work as the tab gad broken. Well now its done for and i cant find the replacement part...... So now instead of buying my scroll saw i have to go buy a new dremel. I know a lot of you use them so which one is the best one? there are at least 4 or 4 models now and im not sure which one to get? WOuld love to hear your ideas and thoughts as to the different ups and downs of the models you have.... Thanks!!
Please post a picture of the broken part's.

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM

I'll get picks up asap when I get back home. It's not the brushes, it's an older off brand "dremel" tool. It has a brushless motor in it. In between the motor and the shaft there is a thick spring bent to suit in notches on both ends. Without it the motor works fine but the shaft will not spin. It's chit when you hit a snap the spring takes the brunt of it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM

siuvinson is on a distinguished road

I have two - one newer battery powered, one older not battery powered. Old one runs circles around the newer one, but I picked them both up used so I'm not really sure how old the cordless model is. If its one of the first models, they may have improved a lot by now. The battery powered unit is really weak...stalls easily even on the higher speed settings.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Green Horn

mack kid is on a distinguished road

How about this Bad boy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foredom.jpg (9.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack kid View Post
How about this Bad boy
That thing looks sweet!!!!! where do i get one?? i ended up buy a new corded dremel for now i use it daily and got projects to work on. lol here are pics of what broke, maybe its still repairable

Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

Have you checked with Dremel about factory reconditioned units? I have worn out and replaced both of mine in the last 3 years. Sent them to Dremel, got a factory recon for each, and they were later models, since mine were "obsolete". They are flat-rated based on age, model, etc. Worked for me.

Ken
Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Autocar is on a distinguished road

mine works little noisy though and slows real fast when cutting but I did get it over ten years ago but works may need to replace brushes but it did build a 4x8 model rail road (thought it would have kicked by now)
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM

I got mine 8 years ago maybe more... Today I bought the dremel 3000 model.. And it did good polishing and cutting tonight. I plan in getting the drill press adapter set up they have. So far I like the new one I bought.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road

I've had good luck with the Black & Decker RTX rotary tool. It has a three-position speed control, and uses the same size collet as the Dremel tool. I have been able to get them at Target for $34, which is a lot cheaper than I can find any Dremel at any store. -Mike
Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Aaron, If your going to use the drill press attachment as a drill press, save your money. I bought one in January to use with my new Dremel 4000 and the new dremels don't make good drills especially if your going to drill anything other than soft wood. The attachment in its own right is a quality piece but I used mine once and haven't used it since. I trashed the packaging after I unpacked it so I couldn't return it. Two weeks later I bought a drill press.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Aaron, If your going to use the drill press attachment as a drill press, save your money. I bought one in January to use with my new Dremel 4000 and the new dremels don't make good drills especially if your going to drill anything other than soft wood. The attachment in its own right is a quality piece but I used mine once and haven't used it since. I trashed the packaging after I unpacked it so I couldn't return it. Two weeks later I bought a drill press.
Thanks for the heads up on that!!! Ill reconsider and prob just get a drill press when i go to get one!!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: My Dremel finally Died for good!!!!!

I bought a Sears Craftsman battery powered in 1995 and it's still running ... original brushes AND battery. I primarily used it for HO slot car racing, every Thursday it was in use to clean the pick up shoes and minor other things as well. Then there was the bigger races about twice a month.

It got used around the house as well and just a few months ago I noticed the charge wasn't lasting as long as it once did. I always before re-charging it, ran the battery completely dead. One of the reasons I think it lasted so long.

Now they have much better battery systems so it's time I went shopping for a new one. I do not think they have the parts to support this one. I have a "Dremel" brand corded unit I use for all the heavy duty cutting and such and it's still a beast, going strong too after maybe 12 or 13 years old.

~ Jeff
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I've bought tool's from cpo outlet's, had good luck with them. http://www.cporotarytools.com/on/dem...outletsDRLlogo

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

I have 4 dremels if you need one to get through shoot me a pm and I can send one over to u
I have a corded 3 speed and I think a variable speed that just sit there
--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scalelover; 05-01-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalelover View Post
I have 4 dremels if you need one to get through shoot me a pm and I can send one over to u
I have a corded 3 speed and I think a variable speed that just sit there
--Dan
Thanks for the offer!! i ended up buying a new dremel 3000 model. corded 10 speed. works awesome!!!