RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 07-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road
Default Need help 4200 xl

Hey guess just got my 4200xl excavator it's was running really well for about 20 mins or so I shut it down to check the oil in the tank and give it a once over. Started it up and now it's barley moving it looks like there might be a little air in it. The place I got it from put oil for a hydraulic jack think that would have something to do with it??
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Wannabe

Default Re: Need help 4200 xl

Also it runs very slow it is the 2.0 version
Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Check your tank fluid level. If it's too low it may cause these problems. Not sure on your oil but it should be kinda thin actually. I'm using the rc4wd oil for now and it is pretty thin and I've had no issues as of yet.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Wannabe

It is quiet thin I don't see any air in the line at all
Old 07-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Next you could check what your pump motor is running at on your TX. Get into the menu and check endpoints. Your pump motor should be on ch 5 (FLP). Mine stock came at 30%, I backed it down to 24% upon reading a couple threads then bumped it up to 26% to increase flow a bit and still keep the motor quiet and less draw. Out of curiosity how are you judging your speeds? Gotta remember this is an entry level machine and won't be close to speed or smoothness of some of the more pricey/advanced offerings you may have seen elsewhere. Look up some other 4200xl vids on you tube to see if your in the ballpark or not.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Wannabe

I've been watching the 4200 video one I found was the 2.0 version. Mine seems to be running at half the speed of it in the video. I'll check my controller. Thanks also might put 22 weight oil in it
Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 PM
Wannabe

I check my engine speed was at 13 bumped it up to 26 maybe slightly faster but still slow next I'm gonna try different oil
Old 07-28-2016, 01:42 PM

John-SoCal is on a distinguished road

Another couple of possibilities.
Keep in mind as you read this, you have purchased a really cool, well built machine. Once you get the bugs out, like with anything new, you’ll have loads of fun! Over a year ago, out of the box my 4200 ran great for about 10 minutes then the hydraulic pump seized. The fix was fairly easy. I noted that I could not turn the pump motor...at all. I disassembled the pump and found that as the pump warmed the clearance between the gears, housing and housing cover were too close. I removed the gears and used about 600 grit sandpaper..on a perfectly smooth surface..and in a rotational motion took half a thousandth off the side of the gears. Reassembled and I could turn the motor with very little resistance and the rig worked great again. If you take too much off of the gears it will cause low pressure hence slow movement due to hydraulic oil slipping by the side of the gears. No worries! Take the pump apart again only this time take half a thousandth off of the case (making sure you take material off evenly). Doing so will close the gap between the housing/cover and gears. You can do this over and over again until you have very, very slight drag on the motor when everything is reassembled. You can do this process throughout the life of your excavator...or any other rig you purchase with a hydraulic pump.

If you have four servos, one will be the, what I call, “proportioning valve” and the other three will be up/down, in/out and bucket. It appears to me that the proportioning valve opens equally with all other valves as you run the machine. I had a servo fail within an hour of using my machine and things ran slowly and all screwed up. Check to see that all servos are doing their job. One...like the proportioning servo/valve, might be dieing...or dead. Search online for a new one...buy two or three because they will fail...eventually. End note: Well engineered machine with hiccups that you will overcome then thoroughly enjoy. I have the Excavator, Wheel Loader, Bull Dozer and Dump Truck. Love them all and work the heck out of’m. Oh yeah, like the other guy said, check all your endpoints and and stuff like that on your radio. I find that the biggest pain… I like the mechanical part of this HOBBY.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:54 PM

John-SoCal is on a distinguished road

I forgot to add. The pump will leak a little if you don't use a sealer (thin layer and don't let it get into the pump) on the cover to housing contact. I didn't but I think oil dripping out of my rig looks realistic. I just fill the tank every now and then.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Wannabe

Thanks for the great advise John. I went out this morning put some 22 weight oil in it gave a it a really good flush of oil and it is running much faster I unfortunately have to leave for work for a week but will come home and get the rest of the air out of the system. I think the lighter oil helped a bunch but will keep your ideas in my back pocket if it does not.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

Look-up Supermarios post on bleeding oil from the 4200 this will help you guy's a lot

David
Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road

Here's Mario's video
https://youtu.be/0PoraystMpo