RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road
Default Vancouver Island

Like the username says, I am from Vancouver Island. I have watched GTF and Scale4x4 for awhile now but rarely post because my knowledge is pretty limited. I have recently bought a mill, lathe and tools and want to try my hand at making some things. Unfortunately, I have very limited time so everything is a long term project. Lots of great information can be found on forums and hats off to those with the knowledge that do post to help others.

Richard
Old 10-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vancouver Island

Glad you have found the site Richard, I think that brings the number up to six people from the Island on the site.

greg
Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Green Horn

Thanks Greg,

I just sort stumbled across it via some info I saw on Scale4x4. Had no idea it existed but it looks great.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanisle View Post
Like the username says, I am from Vancouver Island. I have watched GTF and Scale4x4 for awhile now but rarely post because my knowledge is pretty limited. I have recently bought a mill, lathe and tools and want to try my hand at making some things. Unfortunately, I have very limited time so everything is a long term project. Lots of great information can be found on forums and hats off to those with the knowledge that do post to help others.

Richard
What project are you going to start off with Richard ? Any ideas ? What Mill and Lathe did you get ?

greg
Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Green Horn

So many ideas and so little time. I was planning to work on a skidder first but after seeing how many are in the works and seeing IronArt's awesome Tigercat, I think I may do something else. Like most, a 527 is on my list. Maybe I will try that. It would be nice to have a dozer and skidder all on in one. I just don't have a lot of time so everything is a long term project.

I bought a Grizzly G0704 mill and Micromark 7x14 lathe. Not the biggest but enough for what I want to do. I also bought a 2 axis DRO for my mill. I was a little disappointed when the brackets supplied with it didn't work to mount the scales. Fortunately, I realized that I had a mill to make my own. Many hours later it is installed. I just trammed the table yesterday (because it had a fair bit of nod) and was pleased to get it within .001-.002 over a 6 inch radius.

The machinery is cheap, the tooling is what adds up.

Richard
Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 PM

smart racer is on a distinguished road

yes...nice to see another Islander, the site has great info and builds...what area of the Island?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Green Horn

Near Mill Bay. How about yourself? Any projects in the works. I have plenty I would like to do, now I just need to find the time.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:23 AM

I am located south of you in Victoria...working on a oilfield bed or winch truck...yes the time seems hard to come by for building
Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Green Horn

I love oilfield trucks. I was in Grande Prairie awhile back and saw plenty of twin steer pickers and bed trucks going through town. Camex Equipment has some good photos of oilifled trucks:

http://www.camex.ca/online-inventory...-category?ID=A

Of course there is also Hank's:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/trucks.htm

You have probably seen those websites.

One day I would like to do an 8x8 400 inch bed truck with planetaries and gin poles ... and a twin steer picker ... and a tri-drive winch truck. A guy can dream.

There was a nice blue Kenworth C500 8x8 with gin poles and matching trailer that went to Russia but I can't find the photos of it anymore. There was a video of it from the manufacturer but I can't find it either. It would have been a nice truck to copy. Not your typical bed truck.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:56 AM

I use the Camex site for idea's...but Hank's site is new to me...looks great...thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

welcome, it is awesome all these island guys keep showing up. now I can say, "see I am am not the only one doing this" to my not so rc loving wife
Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseracer View Post
welcome, it is awesome all these island guys keep showing up. now I can say, "see I am am not the only one doing this" to my not so rc loving wife
that's funny
Old 10-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Green Horn

I let my wife buy whatever she wants and then she can't complain when I buy something. She's not really into the whole scale model / RC scene.

One day we'll have to get all of the Island guys together. Of course, it will have to wait for awhile until I actually have something I can bring other than ideas.

Richard
Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanisle View Post
I let my wife buy whatever she wants and then she can't complain when I buy something. She's not really into the whole scale model / RC scene.

One day we'll have to get all of the Island guys together. Of course, it will have to wait for awhile until I actually have something I can bring other than ideas.

Richard
LoL Mine buys shoes and purses...
Good to see you found us here richard ...Wow 6 ..We could have a pretty good show...get ready and get building so we can set something up for next spring.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Green Horn

Happy wife, happy life. Yah, the spring is a possiblity. I'll be coming up your way in late November so hopefully can get together with you and Greg (and anyone else in the area) then.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Richard
Old 10-24-2010, 07:48 PM

DPD327 is on a distinguished road

Hi Richard from down the street from the island here in Everett, Washington. Hope to see your creativity in coming weeks/months as your shop sounds pretty awesome!

Jim
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board! I am not an Islander but on the mainland, travel to the Island on a regular basis, I am sure an Island meet would yeild a good turnout with a little advertising, If there are 6 active members there must be a bunch of guys that haven't found the site yet, congrats on the new tools, have fun building.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD327 View Post
Hi Richard from down the street from the island here in Everett, Washington. Hope to see your creativity in coming weeks/months as your shop sounds pretty awesome!

Jim
Yah, that work thing. I haven't even looked at my tools for weeks. I have been travelling and trying to avoid getting stranded by snow. I felt like I was on the amazing race a couple of weeks ago when I was in Saskatchewan for a meeting and my flight was cancelled due to snow - two airlines, 2 missed flights, alternate connecting cities and an unplanned lengthy taxi ride later I made it home.

Everett is a nice area. I have been to Lynwood and Bellevue area many times with my family.

Richard
Old 11-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
Welcome to the board! I am not an Islander but on the mainland, travel to the Island on a regular basis, I am sure an Island meet would yeild a good turnout with a little advertising, If there are 6 active members there must be a bunch of guys that haven't found the site yet, congrats on the new tools, have fun building.
Thanks. I make it to Vancouver somewhat regularly for work but am always glad to come home. Driving my full size pickup truck in downtown Vancouver is a bit of a pain - actually driving is fine, its finding parking with a parkade with enough clearance. It sure is handy to cross the border though to buy tools, for example at Grizzly Tools. I'm surprised the border guards don't recognize me.

Richard
Old 11-06-2010, 06:56 PM

aseejr is on a distinguished road

Saying hello from Port Alberni.