RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Odds and Ends. > Die-Cast Conversions Tech.

Die-Cast Conversions Tech. The tricks of installing drive line and electrical components into die-cast models.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 AM

smartcat is on a distinguished road
Question newbie question

Hi guys,

I have no experience in this stuff, have only built some easy planes so far; I am greatly enjoying and admiring the amazing builds and conversions posted on this site.

I am trying to learn about converting trucks and excavators etc to RC (since I cannot afford Wedico ). For starters, can any of these be converted?

http://www.outbacktoystore.com/1-16t...-1-32nd-scales

There is a lot more in that shop.

Is it possible to tell from pictures and size if something can be converted (without first buying it)?

Thanks a lot in advance. Hoping to someday post a build here myself
Old 08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: newbie question

A lot of guys have converted the1/16 scale bruder toys.I started a bruder skid steer but have not finished it.they are nice toys with a lot of detail.scan through the forum for the builds
Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM

smartcat is on a distinguished road

What about those Caterpillar models that seem to be die-cast? Can one do any die-cast models do you think?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

a guy did a 1/50 th scale dozer he said it was a nightmare everything is so tight and small
Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

There aren't many 1/16 scale die-cast construction models out there. Most of the modern, big equipment, would be huge in 1/16 scale, and so I don't think a lot of manufactures are really interested in starting a market like that. That's why you see so many 1/50 scale models instead. There are a few 1/16 scale machines, like Bruders (plastic), and a couple Ertl models, and NZG has done some of the Caterpillar Challenger tractors, but otherwise the pickings are pretty slim.

I do remember a youtube video, of a guy who converted a Norscot Caterpillar D11R Carry Dozer to RC. That was 1/50 scale. I'll bet that was a real challenge.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Scale Models did some Challenger tractors that look decent. I have converted two of them the MT765B and the MT975B but they have two major draw backs. One they are very heavy and thick castings Two they were hand assembled and not all the same, by that I mean where holes were to be drilled into the castings for axles and screws they molded indentations and some of the holes were not drilled in the center of the indentations.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...hread.php?t=25

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...hread.php?t=30

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11