RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Good to see you got this working steve-that seat was a great find. Probably not many of those left. Does it feel strange operating your model with this set-up? Will this module be portable enough that you can take it to shows? If so I think a lot of the old operators would be willing to give it a try.
Tom, It's way nicer operating sitting up high. I have some cheap wheels I put on the bottom that can raise the whole platform up and be able to push around. I haven't tried them yet because I need to machine out some plates that lock the 4 wheels up. Maybe I should motorize it and make it walk. I was running it in my shop this weekend from about 25ft away. Didn't have a great view while swinging left to dump but it was fun to operate.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:05 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

You can use a switching BEC to get the voltage down for your radio. Dimension Engineering has an adjustable model that accepts up to 30V input.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranWraith View Post
You can use a switching BEC to get the voltage down for your radio. Dimension Engineering has an adjustable model that accepts up to 30V input.
Thanks. I forgot about those. After posting the question I dug around my parts room and found a new 12vdc supply that can be adjusted from 7.2-13.5vdc I set it for around 10.6vdc . Haven't had time to try yet.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Steve-I liked your comment on making the control module walk. That's funny!! Will you have the full size controls ready for Brownsville?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Steve-I liked your comment on making the control module walk. That's funny!! Will you have the full size controls ready for Brownsville?
I was even toying the idea of having it swing back and forth a few degrees but it would most likely get out of time with the model .

I think it will be ready but not completely wired the way I want it.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Craftsman

Hi steve-did you use the full size controls on your dragline at Brownsville and did you take any pictures.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Hi steve-did you use the full size controls on your dragline at Brownsville and did you take any pictures.
Yea Tom. Had it out for three days. Took some getting used to. The pedals really gave my knees a work out. It is really fun to operate now. Much more challenge than the RC radio.
Here are some pictures leading up to the show.
Final welding

A little on the heavy side. Forgot to weigh after all together but,I think with the consoles it s up around 600#

I was getting some CAT grader parts sand blasted so I had them dust off the base and pedals.

Quick paint job. IH White and red primer. I am trying to get the proper shade of green to match Bucyrus-Erie

Only picture I have from Brownsville.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Craftsman

Steve-I guess that really did take some time to get the feel. Do you find it easier to operate the hand controls when using the foot pedals. It seems like you could concentrate more on hoisting and dragging with your feet doing the swinging. Jim Brennan told me the foot pedals have really strong springs on them. I didn't see any spring in your pictures but is this true.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Steve-I guess that really did take some time to get the feel. Do you find it easier to operate the hand controls when using the foot pedals. It seems like you could concentrate more on hoisting and dragging with your feet doing the swinging. Jim Brennan told me the foot pedals have really strong springs on them. I didn't see any spring in your pictures but is this true.
Using the hand controls and your feet is sorta like jumping on one leg patting your head and rubbing your stomach then in reverse at one time Tom

The pictures don't show how the springs are. I'll have to get a picture next time I have the controls out in the open. Jim is correct, the springs are pretty strong. My feet get numb on the bottom and my knees get a good workout.
Jim called me the other day and was telling me he is starting to convert some of his 8050 Marion to radio control. He has a 6 channel transmitter but he doesn't know much about it just yet. I really need to take a day and go up to DLW with my machine and let Jim try my system out.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:45 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Using the hand controls and your feet is sorta like jumping on one leg patting your head and rubbing your stomach then in reverse at one time Tom
That doesn't sound like much fun steve. I think I would have a problem with strong springs but I still think this is a good idea. Jim told me he got a radio but I agree, he is totally lost. I ask him if he has hooked it up on the workbench to see how it worked and he said he didn't know how. I think he is still living in the 60's and doesn't realize how everything has progressed. I like him though-he is a great guy and I wish I knew half of what he knows about electrical systems. I told him I wasn't sure the R/C was a good idea. As big as his machines are a radio glitch in mid-swing could cause serious damage to his machine. I must admit though, today's radios are much more advanced than the ones I started out with in the 70's. I hope it works out good for him.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got a couple picture from the Rock River show. Had a great time in the 90deg heat. Controls worked flawlessly! They got me the best dirt I have ever dug in too.

This old timer showed up and he told me that he ran a B-E 1570W for about 20yrs and he had been off one for 25yrs. I gave him a job operating and he worked the bucket perfectly. He was so pleased to be able to get back on a drag. Hope he shows up again next summer to giver it another try. I told him that this is one of the reasons for building my dragline and be able to let retired operator run it.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

That is the best RC !! Really takes it to the next level in havin fun!! And sounds like a bit of a workout ! Lol!! Can't wait to see it again.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Time for weaker springs on the pedals?
Old 09-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Journeyman

Exclusive RC is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that this is by far one of the most awesome Rc setups ever, and the fact that you can give the old timers who probably never ran an rc the opportunity to get back behind the operator seat is an amazing accomplishment all on its own! congrats and big thumbs up!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Steve,

Congrats on the operator station! I want to come try it, let me know when you are going out next and I will try to come out.

Jim
Old 09-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

I love watching a master in action. It's even better when he hasn't done something in a while and does it like he did it yesterday.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Craftsman

Steve-that picture of the retired operator in the seat just makes the point of what a great idea this is. Most old ex-operators probably want nothing to do with a tiny radio with levers, switches and buttons all over it but when they see the chair sitting between those consoles, this looks familiar to them and they get excited about giving it a try. Also, I am not surprised he did a great job. Anyone who did this for 20 years can probably do this in their sleep!! Maybe the word will get out that you have this and more retired operators will come out to the shows and try there hand at this set-up. The down side is the fact that it may cut into your operating time but I think this is a great thing that you have done. Hope you have fun with it!!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

[QUOTE=Cooper;131838]That is the best RC !! Really takes it to the next level in havin fun!! And sounds like a bit of a workout ! Lol!! Can't wait to see it again.[/QUOTE

I was thinking about a playday down in Somerset Pennsylvania at Dragline World before it gets too cold. Jim the owner said he would like to have some of us down to work our machines.
If anybody is interested let me know.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Time for weaker springs on the pedals?
No not now. I sorta like the setup. My feet do get numb after a few hours though.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusive RC View Post
I think that this is by far one of the most awesome Rc setups ever, and the fact that you can give the old timers who probably never ran an rc the opportunity to get back behind the operator seat is an amazing accomplishment all on its own! congrats and big thumbs up!
Thanks for the compliment